!RACER BACK TOP (proposed non-official kal) Lisa Hoffman

This post has 105 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 22, 2013 1:27 AM

Hi Sharon,

Congratulations for your babygirl's 23rd. birthday!!  Cake "Time flies", like you said. I have lots of good memories when my two sons were born, and their first birthday and... Good memories! I hope you've enjoyed this day!

Thank you for trying to comfort me about the crumple thing and the warning about the stretching. Yes... cotton plays bad jockes about stretching!!  The picot edge sounds good. I will do the same in case the armholes curl in too. Good idea!! Star Star Star Star Star

Let's wait for your final decision about the back. The main thing is that you feel comfort with it and you feel happy when you wear it! Big Smile

Hi ZassZ,

I hope you are well. We miss you here in the knitting chat. I hope you are enjoying the kal and hope you are reading us, although you don't reply. I send you my best wishes. Have beautiful dreams!!! Sleep

Today, at 6:00 hr. we were at 43. In the afternoon we were 80 and now, 00:20, we are 48. It feels comfortable.

Enjoy your knitting!!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 25, 2013 10:04 PM

Hi Merlich & Sharon,

Well I am catching up!  Have not been able to reply for awhile, but I see you two have been busy as well!  Hope all had a good week and week ends.  Is the project coming along fine?  I am trying to catch up, so I will let you know when I have.  I think Sharon is doing fine and letting us know what to expect?  Back to picking up my project and continuing on.  Yes  There have been many interruptions on my schedule this month, but month is almost done.  Does it seem like time flies?    xoxoxox

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 26, 2013 12:39 AM

Hi ZassZ and Sharon,

I am happy you are well!! Music  We missed you at KD. I am glad to know you've been busy and nothing else to worry about. Wink

Yes, time flies. April is about to be here and I hope it comes with warm all over were you live. I had to hold my top for some days until I am done with the hat and the fingerless gloves I promissed my youngest son long ago and I didn't finish. Now, he's promissed his best friend to show him his accessories and doesn't want to disappoint him, hoho! This time, I am almost done with all. This same week I'll continue with our kal.

By the time Sharon reads this, she maybe has decided what to do with the back. It is a hard decision. But I am sure it will be the best one.

Send both of you my best wishes, hoping you enjoy what you are doing!!

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 4, 2013 12:18 AM

Hi Merlich, Sharon, +

Well it was busy busy this past March.  Not done yet, another wed in this month.  I am not trying to get back to my knitting here.  How was your week Merlich and Sharon?  Did you go out of town or stay around home?  I think Sharon must be done or nearly done with your top?  How is your daughter doing and rest of family.  I needed a little time Mon & Tues to do catch up things at home & some errands.  Tired but happy.  Just glad the month went so well and hope you both are doing fine.  Music 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Apr 5, 2013 10:49 AM

good morning ladies and i cannot believe it is fri again! where did the week go?

all is well here, its starting to warm up - hooray - and the sun is shining! little green things are popping their heads out. soon everything will be colorful and lovely. nothing like that new green grass and those shiny new leaves on the trees!

no i have not finished my top. i am still trying to decide what to do with the back. not sure if i like it or if i want to rip it back and do the lace pattern the whole way. i have to get motivated and make a decision here. this weekend i will! its going to be time to wear it and i want it finished!

how are you both doing? making some progress?

enjoy your weekend! xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 5, 2013 7:45 PM

Hi ZassZ and Sharon,

How you been doing these Holidays? I hope you've been relaxed and happy. I didn't go anywhere to have some peaceful days out of home. This season is when everywhere you go is overcrowded and everything is over priced. Besides, the city becomes so quiet due to all the people who left to visit the country. We really enjoy these days. We wish the city could stay this way for more than two weeks. No way!

We are starting a new month. Non of us is done with the Racer. It doesn't matter. From the very beggining we said it was not a race, it was about having a nice experience sharing our knitting techniques and enjoying a beautiful result all in all. I haven't knitted a stitch of the kal. I was urged to finish a hat and a missing topless glove for my youngest son. They were suppossed to be done in a trice but they didn't. First, we didn't like the way the hat's brim looked. I did it in a 2/2 rib. I ripped it out and change it to a hemmed edge. Later, my son didn't like the way it looked the decreases at the top. I did them at the last 5 rounds. I had to rip it out again just before the crown began and did the decreases every three rounds instead to have a smooth and rounded shape. Now, I am half the way of the missing glove. I have no complaints about this one because the first one is already approved and I wrote down all the directions so they will be exactly the same shape. The only thing I have to do is to hurry finishing it before next Monday, deadline for showing them to my son's friend, ha! My son is so worried and what if his friend just will say: " Hmm!". It will be so funny. I just want to please my son. He is so excited about wearing them.

I am glad the weather where you leave is nice. Here it has been very windy. It has been dangerous to be outside. Many trees and hoardings have fallen down and have been accidents. The temperature has been between 71 and 84. Very hot overnight.

Have a nice weekend!!  Paradise Music Star Star Star

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 8, 2013 4:12 PM

Hello Merlich, Sharon, +

Yes a new month, rejoice!  Well I am going back to my top now!  Feeling more energetic too.  It seems we'ave all been busy busy.  Hope your getting the peace now Merlich.  Weekends here are crowds of people trying to get to the coast for some relaxation too.  Quite windy today, big waves but sunshine too.  If you wanted to windsurf today you'd be zipping thru fast but a little dangerous too high waves.  So did yu make your deadline today with the hat and gloves. I hope so.  Maybe you took a pic for us? 

Are you both continuing?  Sharon, did you decide what to do with the back stitches?   Anticipating your decision.  Music

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 17, 2013 8:46 PM

Hi ZassZ & Sharon,

How you been doing? I hope very well!!  Big Smile

I've been very very busy these last two weeks. I haven't had the chance to finish the Racer but I've been working on it from time to time. Now, I am on row 19th from the chart 3, almost half that pattern. It looks nice the way the instructions ask for. I haven't tried it on to see how it looks like. I hope it looks good in front of the mirror. I'll check it later, I didn't think about it before. I am almost done with the pair of fingerless gloves. The hat is already done. I didn't think to take pics because they are so simple. I knitted them in plain stockinette stitch. But, of course, I'll be glad to take a pic and post it for you.

How is the weather like where you live? We've been at 86, really hot and uncomfortable. There is no wind and no clouds neither. So, you have to be indoor to protect from sunburn. I hope you are enjoying now the weather. Paradise  Wink

Looking forward to hearing from you!

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Apr 18, 2013 9:37 AM

good morning ladies!

hope all is well and calm and you are busily knitting away? haha! i am not.

taking a break as i am redoing a bathroom. just cosmetic. painting and new light fixtures. but did have someone retile around the tub so it looks better. evrything looks good with a fresh coat of paint.

i'm also working on my yard trying to reclaim it from the post-sandy mess. most things survived - minus the big trees we lost. we are planting a hedge of forsythia, skip laurel and hydrangia so it will look pretty. everything is popping up now and going to look so pretty. not as warm as i would like, but it is spring! we are high 50's to low 60's. it would be nice if we were high 60's and no wind, but sun! soon enough.

i'm planting a vegatable garden this year also. need to get that going. the dirt is all turned over, but now i need to decide what to plant! oh so many decision! my son and his gf are involved and they have no yard with their apt - so they are happy to help.

that's about it from here. hoping we all get back into our knitting and finish! i'm aiming for this weekend!

xox, sharon

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 6:36 PM

Hi Sharon,

It is very pleasant when you have to do something to improve the look of your home. You feel like renew although it is not a huge thing. Your garden will be the envy of the neighbourhood!! I am so happy for you. I wish I had a garden too. I am not good taking care of plants. I always ruin them. A garden is different. I used to have one some other place we used to live in many years ago and it was beautiful. I know you will choose good vegetables to plant. I think the ones you use more in your cooking and are easy care.

About the racer. I haven't been able to knit a stitch. I've been very busy with some other priority things. I hope I can keep on this week working on it. Rainy season is coming and I won't be able to show it off (hahaha!) without wearing a cardigan or anything else.

It has been very hot. Now, we are suffering from mosquitoes bites. Unfortunately, we are allergic to repellents, so you can imagine we are really into trouble. No way!!

Wish you the best!! Looking forward to hearing from you!!

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Apr 25, 2013 8:45 AM

good morning merlich and zass,

oh no merlich! allergic to repellents! and with lots of mosquitos around. not fun at all. have your tried something else, like tea tree oil? that might help.

i am so happy to report i finished my top. i thought and thought about it and tried it on  many times. finally decided its not the racer back that was bothering me, it was the unfinished edges. so it took more time to go through other patterns and books and decide what to do about it. i went with the picot edging around armholes and neck. i love it!

here is what i did - i combined lots of different instructions about how to pick up stitches. i tried a few times and went with pick up one stitch in each horizontal stitch, 3 out of 4 stitches on vertical or sloped rows. this worked for me.

purl the first row through the back loop to tighten the first row. knit 2 rows. yo, k2tog for one row. k 3 rows and bind off. turn edge and sew.

i blocked it again last night so hopefully i can get a pic soon. i will have daughter help me!

and then wait patiently for it to warm up so i can wear it. i think i have the opposite problem from merlich! rainy season, does that mean it is getting chilly by you now? hoping you enjoy your weather whatever it is!

happy knitting! xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 12:02 AM

Hi Sharon & ZassZ,

Thank you for your tip about the tea tree oil. A friend of mine sells it, I am going to get in touch with her to have a bottle. Yes

Wow! Those are really good news!! Star Star Star Star Star

Thank you for your advice about the picot edge. I am already on the go with the racer. I'll try to hurry to have it finished too, hahaha!!

Yes, we will be waiting for your pic too!! Thank you!! Music

It is raining now, you are right!! I rather the rainy season than the heat wave one!

What's next? Have you already decided what top will you knit? Or, will you knit something else?

Take care and thanks for everything!

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 7:56 AM

hi merlich!

hope that tea tree oil helps. no fun haveing itchy bites.

so happy to hear you are back knitting our kal. let me know what you think when you see what i mean about the edges. i just knew i would not be happy and would not wear it as is. so, i'm happy i put the effort in and did the picot edging.

i am now knitting on baby socks. my son's best friend's wife's sister is having her first baby in july. i love knitting baby things. so small and fun - and done!

i am also working on plain garter stitch squares. i volunteer with old ladies and we are making a blanket. i have 7-8 of them. most do just fine, but 3 always make mistakes. so, i sneak them out in a canvas bag, bring them home, reknit them and take them back. they never know!

enjoy your day! xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 29, 2013 11:22 PM

Hi Sharon,

I've asked my friend the tea tree oil. May be this same week I'll have it. Now, there are no mosquitoes, hahaha!! Anyway, it is also for headaches and many other things.

I think the picot edge is an excellent idea. I can't wait to see yours. It is not the same to see a pic from a mazazine than one from your friend. It is like more real. I know yours is astonishing.

I also love knitting garments for babies. Yes, you knit them in a trice and they look so cute. I am happy for you; you are enjoying your knitting.

You are a very kind and nice person. Half of the blanket will end up done by you!! Star Star Star Star Star

Looking forward to seeing your pics soon!!

Have a nice day!!

XOXOXO!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on May 6, 2013 10:18 PM

Hi Merlich and Sharon and All, 

Well Sharon, where have you been hiding?  I just guess you've had a nice trip somewhere - ha ha!  Ok so we want to see it?  Did you take the pic already?  I have bad news.  I am going to have to take mine back down to nearly the beginning.  It just was my own mistake when trying to read the chart.  I had seen an article on the internet re converting from flat to round and the info in the article said how I should do the WS row etc. etc.  But it didn't work out for THIS pattern.  So it was either written incorrectly, or it just isn't possible for this pattern to do that way, so all the rows that ended with the purl stitches or yarn overs don't work when beginning the next row with a purl stitch instead of the knit stitch.  I think it made the design not lay correctly.  Well, I just have to bite the bullet and rip now.  Crying 

How is your work coming along with the ladies you teach? That must be so enjoyable for them to have you there to be so patient and cheerful with them. It really is very, very good! Since you are done with your racerback what are you thinking of for your next project?

Merlich, i know you had some nice black and white tops in mind.  Will you and Sharon do them?  I will still be on the racerback for awhile I fear.  Confused  Have a good nite all!  x0x0xx00x

Page 6 of 8 (106 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next > | RSS