!RACER BACK TOP (proposed non-official kal) Lisa Hoffman

This post has 105 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on May 7, 2013 7:39 PM

Hi Dear Ladies!,

What a sad thing ZassZ !! Now, I don't know what to tell you. Indifferent

I am almost done with mine. There is only missing the front from the armholes to the top. It is very fast. If I don't get distracted with anything else, I think it will be done by tonight. But... I don't like how it looks. I tried it on to see how it looked like. The bottom rolls up; it looks strange. I will rip it out all over. When I casted on the stitches, I didn't realized the measurements for the front and for the back were different. I calculated both parts equal and adjusted my numbers. My eldest son made me remember cotton always stretches and suggested me to wait until I give the racer a quick shampoo and let it dry so I can decide whether I rip it out or not. He is becoming a better knitter than me, at least technically.

I also was thinking if I had enough yarn left I could knit a little shawl just to cover my shoulders, but I think that won't be possible. Maybe I'll have one skein left and that is not enough yarn.

I don't have any project in mind. My hub wants me to finish the projects I started long ago instead of begin a new one. I have another top that is only one strap missing to be done. So, may be I'll do what he is suggesting me. It is a pity to have afforded the yarn and not giving it a good use. Although, if you asked me what would I've really liked to do, of course I would have done the black and white top. I have it on my mind.

Sharon, we haven't heard from you!!! It doesn't matter if you haven't had the chance to put up a pic of your racer. We would like to hear anything from you. How do you feel about being a knitting teacher? How is the blanket going? Do you already know who will be the recipient? And more things like that. I hope you are enjoying this experience.

Send you XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on May 8, 2013 7:22 AM

good morning zass and merlich!

and OH NO! poor zass. i am so sorry you have to rip out again. that is so frustrating for you. makes the project such a chore instead of being fun. good luck with that!

merlich before you rip, do as your son says. wet and block it and you may find the bottom does not roll. remember that was my big concern at the beginning of the project? i knitted a few inches of the bottom and then blocked to make sure it did not roll - mine does not. you may like the whole top better if you block it also. keeps its shape a bit better. and if you are not happy still, try the picot edging i did. it really gace it a finished look and i like mine so much now. not that i have worn it yet! waiting patiently for it to warm up. we have a nice day in the mid 60's with sun, then a few more chilly and windy in the 50's. today it is pouring rain. such thunder and lightening this morning, which is unusual for this time of year. one huge crash that scared my doggies. fortunately they do not have a problem with storms. they jumped up and stared around and listened for more, then settled back down.

everything is looking so pretty outside now. i do love this time of year. i have a pretty pink dogwood that is blooming, along with a red bud tree. the lilies are all growing and will be nice when they blossom. our family veggie garden is growing also. we had some lettuce from it the other day and time to go pick some more. when the sun does finally come out, it will be very lush!

any plans for mothers day? we will probably postpone till the 19th. my sis and hubs and one daughter will be visiting from connecticut. oldest son and fiancee will be in from va. a nice, fun weekend - but not sure where they will all sleep! i have to check to make sure i have enough pillows and blankets! haha!

enjoy your day and keep me posted on your progress!

xox, sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on May 8, 2013 7:29 AM

hi again.

forgot to answer that no, i was not on vacation - but my son and his gf were. we were babysitting their 2 big dogs. both sweethearts but really big. one 5, one 1. they do not get along with my little bostons, which is too bad. so we were back and forth between home and their apt making it work.  it would be so much easier if they could all be here, but not to be. so oh well! what we do for our kids?

i am in between projects now. not inspired and waiting for something to catch my eye.

merlich i thnk its great if you can finish your projects. maybe keep that black and white top in mind. if you finish your old ones, you can then buy the yarn to start that one? personal bribery i call it! haha!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on May 8, 2013 9:41 PM

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your reply! I am happy you are doing well and you are having good days! I love the description of your garden, it looks gorgeous! I have pictured it in my mind!

So, you are having fun with those doggies, ha? What a problem! The good thing is that you don't mind doing the trip, I do not know how many times a day, so your little ones don't get annoyed! You are a great mom!! YesMusicStar

About the racer. I am not done yet. I am almost, just about to start the neckline but, I don't like the way it looks the M1L, M1R, SSK and K2TOG from the edges, they don't look nice! I am thinking what to do about them. On the other hand, yes, I'll block it first, and if it is still rolling up, then, I'll pull it out and start it all over again with wider needles for chart 1 and No.3 for the rest of the body. I'll let you know.

In Mexico we celebrate Mother's Day on May 10th. It doesn't matter which day of the week is, we celebrate that very date. It is silly, because we have to do our everyday routine and after we come back from school and from work the celebration begins and, the next day... you have to do again your routine but tired and feeling like staying in bed. No way! I don't enjoy it very much. Fortunately, this year it will be on Friday, so, we will enjoy it with no worries about the hour. You will celebrate with a very big family. It is when you enjoy it more because you do things regularly don't use to. I love when we join our families, we have beautiful memories.

Changing the subject. If you don't have enough pillows, I don't know if it would mind asking your sister to bring theirs explaining her the situation. Or, you can buy a non expensive ones and keep them for the next time. You'll always be ready, haha!

Ok, I'll finish my ufo's first! They are ufo's because they have something I didn't figure out how to do but, maybe, it will come out! Thank you for your advise!  Big Smile Left Hug

Keep on enjoying your day!!!

XOXOXO!!!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on May 10, 2013 10:56 PM

Hi Sharon,

I just read this about your babysitting.  Made me chuckle.  Well you just tell those two boys that Zass said they should be nice to your two little ones, Henry and Rita.  Now you all make nice and get along together, ok?  ha ha Wink   So you won't be so worn out going back and forth. Oh we do what we have to do to make it work, I know you don't mind. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on May 11, 2013 9:45 AM

haha! mind? never! i say i'm practicing for when the real babies come. i will be the best gma because i know what i would have liked, but didnt have.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO BOTH OF YOU - AND ANY OTHER KNITTER OR NON-KNITTER READING THIS!

xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on May 11, 2013 6:51 PM

Dear Sharon & ZassZ,

I also wish you a Very Happy Mother's Day!

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on May 11, 2013 11:59 PM

Hi Sharon,

I apologize, I meant to say "dogsitting".    Embarrassed   Yes you will be great gma for sure and we all look forward to the day for you!  I hope it is a beautiful week for you as well. 

Hi Merlich,

I know you are busy with family too, so hope you enjoyed your week with family as well! 

Talk to you both soon i hope. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 11, 2013 4:10 PM

Hi Sharon and Merlich, 

Well I just thought I would re-iterate that my racerback is going to be getting a new yarn.  I determined that I did not care for the yarn I chose and it just does not seem to fit the style of the piece.  So that will give me a future quest to find the suitable yarn or even the one used for the pattern (probability next to 0) ha ha.  But at least now I really know the pattern! 

So now we just look forward to your pics Sharon and when Merlich finally finish, we'll post ours. So don't give up on us! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 13, 2013 9:59 AM

forget about you?

how could i possibly? haha! hope you are both making progress. if not on our kal, then on something else. i know you both are knitting!

the weather here is awful. we had so much rain last week. 5" in one day. crazy. had a couple of gorgeous days and now today is another monsoon. this is not typical nj weather. oh well. this will pass.

i'm working on a lacy vest i had started awhile ago. hate that when i stop and then have to remember where i am in the pattern. it would be much easier if i would write myself a note - last row done - or something like that. but in a hurry, we don't always do what we should.

i also bought 3 knitted purse patterns online along with the yarn to go with them. they will eventually be felted. i looked at them last week and thought i should get busy. they are for xmas gifts. yikes. time to start thinking about that again?

hope you are both well and happy!

enjoy your day! xox

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 19, 2013 3:24 PM

Dear All! 

Here are Sharon's pics of her Racerback Top.  She did a super fantastic job don't you think?

Congratulations Sharon and thank you for your beautiful pictures. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 19, 2013 4:39 PM

Thank you zass for posting my pics for me! I added a picot edging to the neck and armhole edges. I like a more finished look. I would recommend cotton. I used a merino blend and its a little heavier thsn I would like!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 21, 2013 7:06 PM

Hi Sharon, 

Well as I mentioned everyone is so impressed with your project!  Wonderful job you did for sure.  I am re-inspired to go yarn hunting again.  May try to use the yarn I saw on WEBS or the one you did your top with.  I did locate a store in the city that sells it and am considering.  I discovered that they are open on Sundays, would you believe it?  A "social" from 4 to 8 p.m. And evenings during weekdays.  Wow someone is on the ball. 

I'm waiting for Merlich to see your pics here and Mary and Wendy. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 21, 2013 7:12 PM

Hi Sharon,

Everyone is so impressed with your pics.  You really did a fantastic job on this project.  As I mentioned, I am re-inspired to try and get a yarn suitable.  I found a place in the city that sells the one you used and they have alot of colors in stock.  Also a new order is going in and I could order any color.  Or, I could go with the one I saw on WEBS.  Not sure yet.  The new shop has a "social" in the park every Sunday from 4 to 8 P.M.  How nice, and open weekday eves as well. 

I am waiting to hear from Merlich, Mary and Wendy on your project! 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
julia v wrote
on Aug 2, 2013 10:50 AM

Hi

I really like your Racerback top here.

Time  Does anybody really know what time it is?  Does anybody really care?

Page 7 of 8 (106 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next > | RSS