Y A R N B O M B I N G IS HERE!

This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jul 16, 2010 9:54 PM

Hi ZassZ...

That is really nice knitting. I'de hate to leave it on a pole. Her FI tension is very even.  I like the bison horn cosy too. Funny, I was thinking of you + this post a few days ago when I came across another yarn bombing pic somewhere on the net. I wasn't feeling too lively though so didn't make it back here to search for this thread + post the link. Sorry!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Take Care..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 17, 2010 12:27 AM

Hi Andrea, 

It is beautiful knitting, you are right.  When I looked back at the picture again, I felt like I wanted to reach in and take that yellow tape off the pole.  But it is pretty when you look at the picture of it more at a distance, it seems to pick up the colors in the surrounding background. 

It's nice to be thought of and thank you very much!  I am sorry you were not so energetic.  It's been very warm in so many places, it's no wonder.  My energy is better early in the morning.  I think I mentioned I like to get up early and enjoy the freshness of the early day.   I try to get stuff done early as possible.  Are you a late night or early morning person? 

Always glad to share a little something and I enjoy reading your posts even though I am not a sock knitter, I am the one who is hats crazy. 

Take care to, ZassZ

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jul 17, 2010 2:16 AM

Hi ZassZ...

I should say " hi again"!!!  I just posted something to you on SOCKS too.

ZassZ:
Are you a late night or early morning person?

I'm VERY much a nite person!!!  Because of health issues I haven't been able to sleep @ nite for several yrs. It helps a bit that my husband Wayne is a shiftworker but still he's often in bed + I'm downstairs knitting or on the computer. I tried to live "normally" for a long time...but gave up. It's worse to lie in bed sleepless for hrs. As well...my pain level is way up till the afternoon. So may as well sleep thru the worst if I can!!!  I go to bed as the rest of the world is waking up.

I knit all kinds of stuff...not just socks. I did pick up the title "sock lady" @ shows I did yrs ago before I got sick. I ended up selling more socks than anything else by default I guess. I have knitting machines as well. Over the yrs the #'s of prs I've made is in the 1000's. But also knit all kinds of other stuff....by hand + machine. There really wasn't any competition for fine gauge socks. All the older ladies who used to handknit socks are fading away. And machine knit feet do wear better...more rows to the inch. We wear both ourselves.

I don't like to wear hats @ all. But I do really like making them!!!  This past winter I finally broke down + knit myself one for really cold weather. I think I wore it 3 times!!!  Although we live in Nova Scotia...I've got to be desperate!!! I used the free "Fake Isle" patt. It is a really pretty hat...if I have to wear one!!!

Anyway...a knitter is a knitter in my books. We all have fav things to make + they frequently change in my experience. "You have to be open to new things"...right?!?!

Time to shut down here.... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 17, 2010 8:04 PM

Good evening Andrea, 

I read your post on Socks earlier this morning and here too.  I wanted to get a little bit of coffee and prop my feet up so I could get back to answering your post. 

I think it must make you feel good to know that you have sold so many many socks.  It is wonderful when people recognize and appreciate your talent and skill and artistry. 

If I cannot sleep, sometimes working out a pattern in my mind helps me relax and fall asleep.  If not, I get up and read or knit.  So frusrating, I agree, to lie there for hours trying to sleep.  I have to stretch therapy when that happens and eventually it helps with pain level.  Is there a way to figure out what makes your pain levels higher in wee early morning hours til afternoon?  Is it cold in Nova Scotia now? 

Like you and so many knitters, I do make a variety of articles to wear, or useful items to use around the home.  I like to wear hats as well, and knit and/or crochet them.  I do not like my head to be cold because then the cold enters my body thru the head and I am very uncomfortable, as well as taking a chance on getting sick.  So where does the free "Fake Isle" hat pattern reside?  Is it here on this site? 

I admit though, that I prefer to go barefoot inside, but if the weather gets cold I will put on a pair of warm socks.  I am sure I will join you one of these days and be among the ones who have finally knit my first pair of socks.  Wink  When I do, I will surprise you with a picture as well.  Then you can give me a good critiquing (I hope). 

Yes we knitters agree on alot of things don't we?  That is the fun of it.  I want to be positive and learn new skills.  Knitting means so much to me.  I thank you for sharing with me and I look forward to this exchange and hearing from you again. 

AndreaW:

Anyway...a knitter is a knitter in my books. We all have fav things to make + they frequently change in my experience. "You have to be open to new things"...right?!?!

p.s.  Maybe we can exchange some ideas on how to get a good night's sleep or come up with a solution to the problem.  Sleep

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jul 17, 2010 8:15 PM

Hi ZassZ,

I sent you a blog on the Socks thread.  How long have you been knitting?

Here is the hat pattern you were looking for.  I am bookmarking it too, so I can one day make it. http://www.spunkyeclectic.com/pattern_fakeisle.htm

We knitters find so many things we absolutely have to knit.  Only one problem -- which one and when do we do these projects?  hehe

Chuckles and knits, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 17, 2010 11:07 PM

Hi Zoe, 

I saw you and answered you there on Socks just now.  It was great hearing from you.  Been knitting since the 60's.  Started crocheting before that, probably nearer to 1955.  My grandmother taught me crochet, my mother, the knitting.  I remember seeing my grandmother crochet from my earliest memories.  I never saw my grandmother knit, only crochet.  Although she may have known how.  My mother did both, along with various aunts.  They did many various forms of needle work.  Some uncles were tailers and made beautiful men and womens suits, gowns, etc. & hats.  Maybe that is where I got my love of hats?   

I saw the pattern and I got it!  It really shouldn't be difficult at all, the yarn makes it so interesting.  I saved it too.  Thanks alot, Zoe.  I have to strive to keep a cool head . . .  

Zoe:

We knitters find so many things we absolutely have to knit.  Only one problem -- which one and when do we do these projects?  hehe

Chuckles and knits, Zoe

yeah, i chuckle and knit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 22, 2010 5:11 PM

Hi All of you wonderful knitters, 

Just a short time ago I came across the “Coloring Our World” article in Vogue Knitting International Early Fall 2010 issue.

Seems that one day Magda Sayeg decided to do something to change the view outside of her boutique shop in Houston. Then she noticed something. People were smiling and that encouraged her to organize her first knitting crew, called Knitta Please.

After wrapping various dull urban fixtures, the phenomenon spread and Leanne Prain and Mandy Moore authored Yarn Bombing: The Art of Knit Graffiti. On their website they document more citings as far as Nepal and New Zealand.

For the past three years, Magda has been doing commissioned art more often than covert ops. Absolut Vodka had her cover a bus in Mexico City with knit and crochet. A street business district in Brooklyn asked her to knit wrap sixty nine parking meters. She traveled all the way to Australia to participate in an exhibit and then in Rome she did a large installation and while there, found that she had inspired a crew of knitters from all the way back in New Jersey.

Now, according to this article she is negotiating to knit-cloak the new offices of a company that is well known to crafters, of which the name is being held back in secret until the deal is finalized. I wonder if it’s Michaels, JoAnns or ?

In response to criticism over the name Knitta, Please having racist overtones, she has changed her web name. Her reason is because she just wants people to look at her work and be happy and that she is not that attached to the name that she couldn’t change it if it offends people.

Thus stated, she is more concerned with “. . . the connection I can make with strangers” and exploring that because it is more important to her, “especially in this un-intimate world.”

Yes, we really do live in an un-intimate world due to individuals who donate their aloofness as a free flowing contribution to society.  I don’t know that if it were me, I would have changed the name. Knowing from experience that one can not make all of the people happy all of the time.

I for one want to thank her for her efforts to engage people unexpectedly “by placing knitting in the public environment.” My “Hats” off to you, Magda.

Vogue Knitting International,

Early Fall 2010, Coloring Our World, by Kerry Willis, p.26

Not Ranked
Posts 1
whitetonight wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 8:46 AM

It is with much pride and excitement that I announce that last night - a cold, misty night in Wisconsin - I completed my first intrepid Yarn Bombing mission!  With the help of an accomplice, we cosied up a mailbox quite deliciously!  You see, a good friend (and knitter) of ours who just purchased her first home and will be starting to move her things in today.  We met late last night with our pre-knitted items and stitched them on under cover of night.  How fun!

Take a look!!  Geeked

http://ravel.me/whitetonight/lsn

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS