Question about instructions.

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jan 31, 2013 10:02 AM

I am making a sweater for my three year old granddaughter.  I am almost ready for the sleeves.  The numbers to the pattern I am using are not making sense to me.

This is the basics of the pattern.  I have 38 stitches on needle.  I am making the smallest size of the pattern. Stockinette stitch. Now I will state what the pattern says.

"Shape sides as follows:  Inc 1 st each end foll 9th rows 0,(0,0,8) times. Then every foll 11th row 0,(6,7,2) times. then every foll 13th row 5,(1,1,0) times. 48,(52,58,62) sts 65,(79,90,94) shaping rows".

This isn't making sense to me.  Remember I am making the smallest size.  I don't get how I end up with 48 stitches as the pattern is written.  Also do not understand the second set of numbers. 65,(79,90,94)  Please help!!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jan 31, 2013 11:06 AM

Okay I have read this again and am beginning to understand a little more.  I don't do any increasing until I get to the "foll 13th row 5 times. I still don't know which row to start the increases.  Row 33?  I have also figured out the 2nd set of numbers are the shaping rows.

So, I am going to add a stitch at the beginning and of a row for example :  row 13, row 26, row 39, row 52, row 65.  Is this correct? Thus the 65 in the shaping row numbers.  I hope this is making sense.

TIA, Judy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 3:19 PM

Grandma of Eight:

I have 38 stitches on needle.  "Shape sides as follows:  Inc 1 st each end foll 9th rows 0,times. Then every foll 11th row 0,times. then every foll 13th row 5,times. 48sts 65, shaping rows".

This isn't making sense to me.  Remember I am making the smallest size.  I don't get how I end up with 48 stitches as the pattern is written.  Also do not understand the second set of numbers. 65,(79,90,94)  Please help!

You start with the (no shaping) on 9th row + 11th row.  THEN on 13th row increase (+ 5sts) each end =  10 more sts, so 38 sts +10 = 48 sts. to this point.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 3:41 PM

Grandma of Eight:

I still don't know which row to start the increases.  row 13, row 26, row 39, row 52, row 65.  Is this correct? Thus the 65 in the shaping row numbers.  I hope this is making sense.TIA, Judy

Grandma of Eight,

Yes that is correct. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jan 31, 2013 3:47 PM

So I increase all ten stitches on one row?  Five at each end.  For some reason this doesn't sound right either.  So where does the five times come into play?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 3:47 PM

Grandma of Eight:

I still don't know which row to start the increases.  Row 33?  TIA, Judy

Yes row 33 because you started out on 9th + 11th + 13th = 33.  Your doing great!  Hope you can show us a pic of your project when you finished.  Try visiting and putting your pic up on Fabulous Projects completed lately Forum under the Knitting Chat.  I am sure it will be a fabulous project.  What color is your sweater your knitting up for grandchild? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 3:51 PM

Grandma of Eight:
So I increase all ten stitches on one row?  Five at each end.  For some reason this doesn't sound right either.  So where does the five times come into play?

Yes it is correct according to what you wrote as your pattern.  [Then every following 13th row, 5 times]  Just do that and don't over think yourself.  If you have to give it a break, then go back and it will make sense.  You really do have it figured out.  Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jan 31, 2013 4:55 PM

Thanks.  That is what I did this morning.....I left it for awhile and came back and it started making sense.  I am eliminating the pockets on this sweater because those instructions are way over my head.  They are knitted in pockets with linings.  I will figure them out with scrap yarn before I actually put them in a project.

The pockets really do add to the sweater, but they will certainly also add to my frustration.  LOL.  I am just getting back to knitting after 30 years and I want to keep it fun for awhile, before I tackle something really challenging.

Again, thank you so much for your prompt answer.  You have been very helpful.

Judy

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS