Slight bell shape at ends of knitted scarf

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Naples01 wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 8:35 PM

Hello, I am wondering if it's the method that I cast on that is causing this slight bell shape at the ends of my scarves? I don't know the name of my cast on but I only use one needle and the yarn is on my thumb and index finger. I really want to try and correct this since I don't like that look. I want the scarf to be the same width from end to end. Please help. Thanks Joan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 714
salmonmac wrote
on Feb 2, 2013 6:15 AM

It sounds like a long tail cast on which usually gives a neat, close edge. I like it for most knit items. You could try casting on fewer stitches and then increasing on the next row or so. Or you could try other cast ons like the knit cast on and see if that gives a shorter first row and prevents the bell shape.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 2, 2013 3:58 PM

Hi Naples,

You could also try using a different size needle for your cast on edge and then go back to it row before bind off. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS