I need help with a men's cardigan sweater

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
JoyP@13 wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 12:01 PM

I am knitting the Saturday Morning Hoodie (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70084AD.html) from Lion Brand, and am having a few issues with shaping across the back of the shoulder, and with a bit of the directions.  I'm hoping someone out there can help.

#1  My husband has a slouching back at the shoulder area making the sweater shorter in the back than in the front.  The drape from the shoulder to waist and hip is horrible.  It looks like it isn't pulled down and smooth in the back; however it is not a problem in the directions.  Does anyone know how to make an adjustment for this problem?  It is a raglan, bottom-up pattern.

#2  The hoodie is huge.  It comes out looking more like the hood of a monk's robe.  I also don't understand the binding off sequence.  "At beg of next row, bind off 3 sts twice, 2 sts twice, 9 sts twice - 17 sts."  Does this mean to bind of 3 sts at the beg of each of next two rows; bind off 2 sts at beg of each of next two rows; bind off 9 sts at the beg of each of the next two row...over a series of six rows?  

This is a nice looking sweater; however it has been a horrible pattern do knit, but the only raglan sleeve, men's hooded cardigan I could find that was done in a bulkier yarn.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 732
salmonmac wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 5:00 AM

Welcome to KD!

Question 2 is easier to answer. Yes, bind off the given number of sts at the beginning of each of the next rows jist as you interpreted it.

For question 1, you can block the sweater longer in the back if you used wool. If not, maybe a few short rows (not enough to add a bulge to the back, just enough to lengthen it) would give you the extra length without changing the length of the seams. The short rows would have to be scattered along the length and not concentrated in one area.

You might also pick up fewer sts for the hood if it's too large or decrease across the row after picking up sts. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JoyP@13 wrote
on Feb 8, 2013 3:02 PM

Thanks, salmonmac!  I did a few short rows, as you suggested, across the shoulder area, and it did the trick!!!  I'm back on the hoodie part now working my way through shaping it to match my husband's criteria.  Although he thinks the fit is good, it seems too tight around the neck area.  I'm adding width as I go to make it a little bigger in the head area.  We'll see where it goes from here.  I will need to get to the number of stitches at the end to match the ribbed band that I had to remove from the hoodie in order to remake it.  I hope, in the end, that the hoodie will match the band!  I thank you for your help with this.  It was almost destined to join my UFO's.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS