gauge question

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jlp645 wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 6:29 PM

For the sweater I am going to make the gauge is 16 sts - 22 rows = 4 inches.  The directions suggest # 7 for ribbing and #10 for body and the gauge is done on the larger needles.   My sample is 2 rows to much so I think either 10 1/2 0r 11 will probably take care of the 2 rows.  But my quesiton is should I get larger needles for the ribbing and if so what size?

Thanks - 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 8:15 PM

Ji Jlp,

I think you'll also need to check your yarn label and see what recommended needle size is for your yarn if it is not the recommended yarn for your pattern.  Sometimes when we switch out yarns it causes more adjustment with needle size.  If you have more stitches to the inch than recommended (stitches are too small), go up a size.  If you have fewer stitches to the inch (stitches are to big), go down a size. 

The only way to know if you really need to up to what size for the ribbing is either guess or knit a swatch to see.  But the gauge is really based on the size 10's according to what you wrote.  But you said your "sample is 2 rows too much"  did you mean rows or stitches?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jlp645 wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 6:04 PM

2 rows, I am fine on the 16 sts. 

thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Feb 8, 2013 4:40 AM

Really, for most projects, getting the stitch gauge is the most important. If you have that on the 10s then going to a larger needle to get the row gauge will just throw off the stitch gauge. Patterns usually give length in inches rather than rows anyway(or if rows, it can be converted to inches).If you do need to change to a 10.5 or 11, I'd go up to an 8 for the ribbing but as ZassZ mentioned, you may need to just try it out and see what looks good to you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 8, 2013 2:29 PM

Hi salmonmac, 

I agreeYes 

So JLP, please let us know if your project is working out for you.  Hope you enjoy your knitting. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jlp645 wrote
on Feb 9, 2013 7:53 PM

Thank you both.  I did another gauge test and I am actually a little short on the sts gauge  so I think going up is going to work out.  I am going to try the larger needles -  and I will also go up to an 8 for the ribbing.   i will let you know..............  thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 4:21 PM

ZassZ:
Ji Jlp, If you have more stitches to the inch than recommended (stitches are too small), go up a size. If you have fewer stitches to the inch (stitches are to big), go down a size.

I thought I should post this again as a little reminder to you.  As you just mentioned above, that you are short on your sts, then you need to go down in size. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS