The Official Ruched Tee Knit-Along

This post has 362 Replies | 42 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 10
dberthelot wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 9:05 AM

Frogged is a term for "ribbit" Rip it out!  I was so frustrated with the results.  I am going to give it another try.  We also use tink here.  It was just the first word that came to mind.  

Diane B.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
TerrieR wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 11:00 AM

Sewdove:
What is "frogged"?  I think probably pulling it out?  Around here we use "Tink" which is backwards for Knit.

My friends and I use both terms:  "frogging" is when we pull the project off the needles and rip it back, (ribbit), where "tinking" is knitting backwards one stitch at a time.

I finally started my tee early this morning, but am already thinking I may need to frog back about 6 rows. :-(   I had thought I would not make the ruching quite as full, but I see that it gets stretched out almost flat by the increases in the garter regions when you do that, so I'd rather rip only one ruched section out than three!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 11:32 AM

Do you mean that you added the 6 sts on Row 4 (of the first 8 rows - garter st at neckline?)  Thank you!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 71
on Mar 14, 2013 11:55 AM

Forgot to say that I'm not adding the keyhole. Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Fleetwood wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 12:37 PM

Hello from rural NH, where we know it's spring by our town meetings, sugar-on-snow suppers, and mud. Oh, and snow flurries, which we're getting now.

I'm joining late because I just got stated yesterday with finding the pattern and choosing my yarn. I would like to make several of these, but my first will be for my youngest grand-niece, Allie. I've started working the smallest child's size in Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy, color 53, a bluish-purple. I thought I would get gauge with the #4 needles listed on the label, but I had to go up to #5s.

I've worked up to Row 25 and am ready to join in the round. I have a fabric that's a bit loose, but I think it will work as a child's summer tee. I'm also wondering if the hemp might "bloom" a little with washing.

At any rate, I'm carrying on with the knitting. Will try to post a picture of the yarn, it's quite pretty.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 12:47 PM

Sounds so pretty!  Everyone's looks great so far.  I just got back from SF visiting my daughter and her baby while her husband was away.  Am now back in Charlotte, NC. Baby was quite ill so barely got started and have to admit that I feel very dense and confused.  I am omitting the keyhole because I know that I will never do the icord properly. So, am doing size 341/2 on size 5 needles so far.  Now, do I add the  6sts (from row 33) now when I get to row 4 (at the beginning?)  What do I omit in terms of the keyhole?  Which rows will be different?  Thank you all!  Confused knitter!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 85
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 12:53 PM

Nettisnadelkunst - GORGEOUS.  I love the side set buttons, the color...I could see this as a dress!

As for me...is my yarn too large (KnitPicks Cotlin), needles too big, my shoulders too skinny...? Despite the warnings mine is huge...unless I want to strut around like Carmen Miranda, I think I either need to make a fix or rip.  I am still on the yoke just before Row 33 and knitting in the round -- so I think I will forget the keyhole...try to overlap that area, and literally stitch it together...and just have a little V opening at the neck line.  I will post pictures when the "fix" is done.  Wish me Luck.Stick out tongue

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Fleetwood wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 1:23 PM

@nettisnadelkunst, that is gorgeous! Love the color and your modifications. Is that a cotton? (Sorry, I missed what yarn you said you settled on.) The drape is great. At least with the yarn you're using, the amount of ruching is perfect.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Fleetwood wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 2:28 PM

Hempathy color #53

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 2:40 PM

Nice colour! I'm replying including the picture again, love the colour against beautiful Kitty. Have you tried  Hempathy before? Have heard there are stretching or shrinking issues after washing, from others, so if for a child, do swatch and wash the swatches Wink

Hello anyone who remembers me from previous KALs, and hello everyone all Stick out tongue - I am following along while finishing another sweater.. The stretchy-looking ruche worries me - I notice the back view of the sweater is low on the model's shoulders. I knit loosely and like someone else said it could end up Carmen Miranda style  - for those who have finished, how is it wearing?

Fleetwood:

Hempathy color #53

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Lianewobito wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 4:10 PM

Sorry it's sideways... just don't get a kink Wink. It wear quite comfortably. I have no problems with the armholes. I though they might be too tight ( due to my fluffyness) but they're ok.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 85
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 5:35 PM

Liane...that is beautiful. Truly spring colors.  The different colors worked!.

BessT: great to see you again.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 8:29 PM

Lovely colors and knitting!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Rainbow67 wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 11:48 PM

Hi all, I'm in Northeast MS and I started working in this tee as soon as I got yarn in hand. Since I couldn't wait I picked yarn from hobby lobby. It's a nice 100% cotton yarn (sinfonia). I chose a purple, and since they didn't have enough in stock, I decided to pair it with a slate grey and color block the mid section in the grey. 

Anyway, this is my first KAL and my third garment. I decided to do the sleeve modification and I also switched up the keyhole to just the first ruched section.

Don't know why but the pic posted upside down. This is a few rows after the ruched sections. I used a plastic clip at the modified key hole to keep it closed when I tried it on. I'm so happy it fits. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Fleetwood wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 8:24 AM

Child's smallest size in Hempathy. I'm past all the shaping and knitting the body now. I was not sure I liked it when I was doing the ruching portion, but now I do. bessT: I have not used hempathy for a garment before. I have used it for small shawls. As I said before, this is a loose fabric, and I bet it will shrink. But this garment is plenty big for the intended wearer. I think I'll launder it before giving.

I was also thinking of making a pull-on circle skirt and hair band/bow to go-with--going to check my fabric stash for an orange or yellow print.

Page 14 of 25 (363 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS