The Official Ruched Tee Knit-Along

This post has 362 Replies | 42 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 12:06 PM

Beautiful work, everyone!  I tried mine on this am...it isn't too low on the shoulders, but I am still going to do the stitch up fix ala the Gowanus Ripper (my ravelry name).

Knitscene is the same company so I think I am allowed to say here, that everyone should get a copy of the new spring Knitscene.  I can't believe how many gorgeous projects are in there.  Worth every penny.  Even my doggies agree.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 12:42 PM

PLEASE help!  I am knitting mine in the round omitting the keyhole.  Where do I add the additional 6 sts and do I eliminate any sts in the ruching? I'm afraid to go any further now until I figure this out.  Sorry to be a bother. I have read the posts but am still confused.  Everyone's really look lovely - great colors and wonderuful knitting!  Thank you!! Jeanie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 1:00 PM

This was in answer to someone else I believe at page 10 of the KAL -- so take a look back there and I think this is your answer.  I am not at that point yet, but I did not begin in the round.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
spixy1019 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 1:03 PM

JeanieH@6:

PLEASE help!  I am knitting mine in the round omitting the keyhole.  Where do I add the additional 6 sts and do I eliminate any sts in the ruching? I'm afraid to go any further now until I figure this out.  Sorry to be a bother. I have read the posts but am still confused.  Everyone's really look lovely - great colors and wonderuful knitting!  Thank you!! Jeanie

I'm doing mine in the round w/o the keyhole. I cast-on the original amount of stitches and just increased 2 stitches on each of 3 of the original garter stitch rows to add 6. Some people added 6 in the original cast-on. I chose not to b/c I was afraid of it being too wide at the top. Mine fits all right at the top (I'm down towards the end of the waist decreases), but honestly, if I were to do it again, I would keep it simple and just add an extra 6 stitches when I did my first "increase X stiches evenly" row. It's not a huge amount of width in the scheme of things, and the top is so stretchy (and seem to err on the side of too wide judging from comments) it really doesn't matter. (I fudged something in the first ruching section, ending up with the wrong number of stitches, and just made up for it by increasing a few less stitches than it called for in that same row, so it's pretty forgiving)

Here's a pic from when I finished the first couple rows under the arm. I'm happy with the sleeves on me and the fit so far. It's a really bad quality image so the ruching's not quite as uneven as it looks, but I figured I'd share anyway.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 1:03 PM

Sewdove:

I thought someone else would answer you on this.  If you ignore the 6 st, your stitch count will be off when you do those big increase and decrease rows that are coming up.  I added 6 increases to Row 4 below that point.  Hope you aren't beyond that now.

Peggy D.

SORRY, I didn't copy the quote from Sewdove properly.  So go to page 10 and see this string.  I think that will help.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 1:26 PM

Thank you so much for replying and I do understand now about the 6 sts.  Are you changing anything else?  I read one post that eliminated the K1 before the KFB - did you eliminate any sts?  Love your color and it looks great to me! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 1:27 PM

Thank you so much!  I have only knit 4 rows so will add the 6 sts somewhere soon. I'm worried about it being too big so it's probably better that I didn't do so on the CO.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
spixy1019 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 1:47 PM

JeanieH@6:

Thank you so much for replying and I do understand now about the 6 sts.  Are you changing anything else?  I read one post that eliminated the K1 before the KFB - did you eliminate any sts?  Love your color and it looks great to me! 

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. It's my first fitted garment (I just finished something with more of a sweatshirt shape that didn't need to be form-fitting, so I'm anxious to see how the shaping looks on me)

I actually followed the suggestion on only doing the kf&b on every other stitch b/c I'm hoping to have enough yarn left to do a more tunic length top to wear w/leggings (if I had planned ahead I would have just gotten more yarn....still might). The ruching would have been fuller (and probably alleviated a little of the unevenness that the overly-critical photo shows), but I'm happy enough with it that I won't rip it out. I don't plan on changing anything else (unless the shaping is super off) other than possibly the length, which will be TBD.

I love seeing everyone's progress. It helps keep up the momentum :) I'm also enjoying how easy it is to knit up. After the ruching section it needs very little attention and is a great project for catching up on TV or actually carrying on a converstation.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 4:01 PM

Thank you so much for all of your help!  It is fun to see everyone's progress.  I'll be happy to get through the ruching. Happy Knitting! Jeanie

Not Ranked
Posts 10
cherylk8 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 10:52 PM

JeanieH@6:
Where do I add the additional 6 sts and do I eliminate any sts in the ruching?

I'm doing the second smallest child size and added the extra stitches (4 for this size) on the last garter stitch section, first row of garter stitch. I kept the stitch count for the ruching the same as in the pattern, except k f&b in every other stitch for the ruching. Looks good so far. . The pattern is very forgiving of small variations in stitch count. Hope this helps. Thanks to all who have posted pictures so far. The finished tees look great.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 8:44 AM

Am I understanding correctly that since I'm not knitting the keyhole and am knitting in the round and will have increased the extra 6 sts that I just ignore the rest of Row 33 after the k1, *k2tog*?  Also, when you are increasing and they don't specify a particular increase are you using KFB?  Sorry to be asking so many questions!  Thanks!!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
spixy1019 wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 11:43 AM

JeanieH@6:

Am I understanding correctly that since I'm not knitting the keyhole and am knitting in the round and will have increased the extra 6 sts that I just ignore the rest of Row 33 after the k1, *k2tog*?  Also, when you are increasing and they don't specify a particular increase are you using KFB?  Sorry to be asking so many questions!  Thanks!!

Yeah, I ignored that. If you're following the directions, the round ends up being joined at the front, under the keyhole, so they slip all the stitches until they get to the back. If we're skipping the keyhole, we're already at the back, if we're defining the back as the "seam" at the round joins. If there's no keyhole, there's really no difference until we divide for the armholes.

I think for my increases I knit into the bar between the current stitch and the next. I just like working it better, but a lot of people said they were doing KFB.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Sewdove wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 1:18 PM

Well, I finished my top on my way to my granddaughter's soccer game.  I think it fits well, but the neckline stitches feel loose.  I plan to work a row of single crochet around the top to pull it in some.  So...here I am in my nice Spring top--and it's snowing outside!

Peggy D.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 1:24 PM

Looks smart, Peggy!

Sewdove:

Well, I finished my top on my way to my granddaughter's soccer game.  I think it fits well, but the neckline stitches feel loose.  I plan to work a row of single crochet around the top to pull it in some.  So...here I am in my nice Spring top--and it's snowing outside!

Peggy D.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 16, 2013 4:24 PM

Thank you so much for the information!

Page 15 of 25 (363 items) « First ...  < Previous  13 14 15 16 17  Next >  ... Last » | RSS