Sock Heels

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
webbsh3 wrote
on Mar 2, 2013 11:20 AM

This is probably very simply answered, but I need help.  I'm tired of my hand knit socks wearing out on the heel.  Not the back heel where the flap is so much more dense, but the 'under' heel, the part I walk on.  I always end up with a hole right underneath. 

It looks to me as if the threads are stretched after wearing for a while.  When they get stretched, they get thinner and pretty soon there's the hole.  I never wear them out otherwise.

So ... why is the back of the heel reinforced but not the bottom?  I really don't want to use a different colored yarn.

Thanks for helping, Sheryl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 716
salmonmac wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 7:41 AM

Yes, the bottom of the heel and also the ball of the foot near the big toe take a lot of wear. You could reinforce this area too as you knit it. Add in another thinner yarn, that will add strength without too much extra bulk. The other thing you can do is darn the heel as soon as you start to see wear. It's easer to do this before you actually have a hole and it will strengthen the heel for at least awhile longer. Here's a video for Swiss darning that may help with the socks you've already knit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYuIl3hIAS4

Not Ranked
Posts 5
webbsh3 wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 9:59 PM

Thank you so very much for this video and your information.  I watched this and several others and finally realize I can do it!  Probably not as easily as these ladies, but there's hope for me after all.  Much appreciated!  Happy knitting.  Sheryl

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS