Prayer shawls

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Maxsmokey wrote
on Mar 8, 2013 8:53 AM

Hello, I have started knitting the Comfort Shawl from the three Prayer shawls ebook, so thank you for that. I have found, however, that I find myself wondering what I may have done wrong, after knitting the neckband, picking up the selvedge stitches and then coming to the first yo increase row, I cannot make more than 65 stitches. I think I may be misreading the pattern but I am suppose to have 67 stitches and cannot see a way to get them, I would be grateful for any help someone could give me, I am on a limited time frame for this, it must be finished early April.

Thank you

Maxine

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Mar 8, 2013 5:45 PM

Not sure what is happening, but sometimes it helps to diagram it out.  So the following is a diagram of it:  The blue lines are the border stitches, the red are the yarn overs, and the black are your stitches.  So you will have 14 border stitches, 27 yarn overs and the original 26 stitches. (please excuse the crudeness of it)  Hope this helps.  

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Maxsmokey wrote
on Mar 8, 2013 11:17 PM

Hi chewchew, thanks, that's what I did myself, but the problem is that you start the yo after the eighth stitch, not the seventh, as there is the slipped stitch after the BB and before the EB. Also, could I ask, when it says to place the markers, does it mean place it on the stitch you have made just before the instruction to place that marker? Or is it on the next stitch? I did know this was a pattern that was a little difficult, but I do enjoy learning new things.

I am not sure if it's simply the more American way of setting out the pattern that is befuddling me somewhat.

Thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Maxsmokey wrote
on Mar 9, 2013 3:05 AM

Ok, I have realised that the slipped stitch must be the problem, it cannot surely be correct to slip a stitch on every single row.

Now I see that even if I ignore the slipped stitch on the knit rows, you still don't have enough stitches, it seems to me that you need 69, not 67. So either I have totally misunderstood this pattern or there is something wrong with it. I hope someone can help me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 641
salmonmac wrote
on Mar 9, 2013 4:37 AM

There are actually only 7 border sts. If you are counting 8sts, that's where you're missing the extra sts. The beginning border and the end border are worked over 7sts including the slipped st.

"BB; worked over 7sts at beg of both RS and WS rows) Sl 1 as if to purl with yarn in front (pwise wyf), [k1,p1] 2 times, k2."

The slipped st is only worked at the beginning of the row, not every row. You're right in that you can't do that on every row. Slip the first st and knit the last stitch of the row, turn and start the new row with a slip stitch.

The marker is placed on the needle between sts and slipped on every row. It's reminding you of where the border sts begin and end.

Chewchew, I love your diagram. Very helpful idea.

When it just says to place a marker, you should put the marker on the needle between sts. That marker will then be slipped on every row and hold a place in

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Maxsmokey wrote
on Mar 9, 2013 5:33 AM

Hi salmonmac, thank you, I keep thinking that I am seeing a pattern that no one else is. I do understand that the border is worked over 7 stitches, but after the border, on every row, there is a sl. As far as I know that means slip as if to knit. So, there cannot be a slipped stitch on every single row, but you have to make that nice simple holey pattern after the border, I assume that the slipped stitch has something to do with that. Also, to get 14 border stitches, 2 slipped stitches, 22 side panel stitches and 53 back panel stitches, you will need 69 stitches. With the slipped stitch ignored, I can get 67 stitches and only by ignoring the slipped stitch altogether, are those stitches enough.

So the problem is, what is the purpose of the sl after BB and before EB. 

Since I see on Sandi's blog that this is a very popular pattern and that it has been knitted often I am sure there is some basic misunderstanding of the pattern that I have and having made up my mind, cannot see it any other way.  I would love to finish it and would like it for my Mother in Law's 80th Birthday.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS