Cardigan neckline too low

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
gailfr wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 7:12 PM

I am all but finished a top-down sweater.  I tried it on after knitting the ribbing for the neckline and found that the neckline is way too low.  I really don't like the shape, which turned out to be a deep scoop.  I would like to raise the centre part of the neckline at least three or four inches, tapering to join up with the parts that are shaped OK.  I could pick up stitches along the neckline and use short rows to raise the neckline, but I am sure it will leave a visible line.  I would like to disguise the line.  The wool is a deep blue with flecks of turquoise.  Cables probably would not show up very well.  I would appreciate any ideas.  I am open to other possibilities too (except for ripping it out, which would entail re-knitting pretty much the whole sweater).  Thanks very much.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
padmaK wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 2:51 PM

gailfr, I would work a decrease in the rib itself to reduce. What I mean is this on the wrong sides of the rib if you purl 2tog the rib will still look the same on the right side but will have narrower overall size. based on what type of rib it is say 2*2 the 2 in the wrong side will worked. this reduce a 1/4 of pastiches from the original

Not Ranked
Posts 3
gailfr wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 4:08 PM

That is a really interesting idea.  I noticed before I did the ribbing on the neckline that the fronts seemed to be somewhat stretched - why, I don't know.  So this would hopefully pull up the neckline to something I was comfortable with, plus I wouldn't have to disguise the extra part I was thinking of adding.  I really appreciate your help - thanks!  I will try your suggestion.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
padmaK wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 1:30 PM

You are welcome.I had to do some modifications to some of my sweaters too.

I did one exactly as the pattern said and ended up the neck falling off shoulders. It was a v-neck. I wore inside the house for 2 years and donated during sandy. A bigger women would be able to wear it.

So, I know what you were talking about.

I later on knitted a sweater of my design and pattern for my autistic son who hates seams. So for hand i picked up pastiches @ shoulders and decreased as I went don. And noticed the rib decrease works well for keeping the cuffs tighter.

This was before I learned more about sweater knitting.

Padma

Not Ranked
Posts 3
gailfr wrote
on Mar 21, 2013 9:39 AM

I finished the "renovated" ribbing last night and I must say it is a huge improvement over what I was facing a week ago!  All I have left to do right now is the front bands, a few ends to weave in, blocking, and it's done!  It is a winter weight sweater, and if it doesn't warm up here soon, I will be wearing it this spring.  Thanks again - the suggestion was a great help.

Gail

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS