socks using one 12" circular needle?

This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Feb 1, 2009 11:33 AM

I'm struggling to learn sock knitting and have made a mini sock on 4 dpn--didn't like this method. Tried Bordhi's method using 2 circs and had trouble here too, although I confess I was using outdated circs that were ornery.  I read in Anne Budd's book that it can be done on one 12" circular.  I'd like feedback from anyone who has experience with this method.  Many thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Anne wrote
on Feb 2, 2009 1:59 PM

Hi Lori.

I always use 12" Addi turbo needles for the bulk of the adult sized socks that I make. Of course, I need to use the double-points to turn the heel and to decrease for the toe. But using a 12" is so fast! Don't forget to use a marker to mark the beginning of the round.

I have gotten the 12" Addis from Patternworks in New Hampshire. Very reputable and are online. Hope this helps    Anne in Florida

Not Ranked
Posts 2
pattiaci wrote
on Feb 3, 2009 3:38 PM

I'm trying to find those needles and the pattern for them I went to the website you suggested but they only have bigger needles and I could not find a pattern- can you help?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
pattiaci wrote
on Feb 3, 2009 3:52 PM

Please let me know what size needles and what length please .

Not Ranked
Posts 3
JanetM@3 wrote
on Feb 3, 2009 3:55 PM

I just bought small (#2) addi natura (bamboo) with 40 inch cable.  colorsongyarn.com

I am finishing my first single needle sock!  Magic Loop search will probably find a pattern source for you.

Janet

Not Ranked
Posts 1
BarbaraR@4 wrote
on Feb 4, 2009 1:24 AM

I tried sox on a 12 in circular and they got stretched out.  I'd use a 9 in available at the knitting zone.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Anne wrote
on Feb 4, 2009 11:04 AM

Hi patti-

I checked the Patternworks website and they have 12" Addi needles in sizes 1 thru 9.

As for the pattern, just use whatever adult size pattern you want....simply go round and round instead of across the 3 doublepoints. Hope this helps  Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Anne wrote
on Feb 4, 2009 11:08 AM

If you are a naturally tight knitter, perhaps it would be better to cast on to three double points and then use the circular from then on. The cast-on row might be the most difficult for a novice to this method of sock/mitten knitting.

I use a cabled cast-on for socks. I find it keeps its shape and looks prettier at the top of the sock.   Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 1
karen@18 wrote
on Feb 5, 2009 6:25 AM

when you cast on use a size 1 double pointed needle along with your usual size and your cast on will not be so tight.  then take the time to learn the magic loop method, you will never be sorry you learned this as you will use this method for sleeves hats and much more.  i took a sock class just to learn the magic loop and i love it, the best thing i have ever done for myself.  karen

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MargaretH@3 wrote
on Feb 10, 2009 12:45 PM

Hi Lori:

I teach sock knitting and prefer to use the 12 inch size 1 Addi Turbo needles. I've gotten lots of knitters hooked on socks using this technique. You don't need to worry about keeping track of multiple needles and sticking yourself with all the points of using 4 DPNs. And you won't get ladders at the point where the needles change, because there's only one needle with two ends! You will need to use the DPNs for the heel flap and the toe closing, once the number of stitches makes the circle too small for the 12 inch needle.

You need to cast on somewhat loosely in order to start the circle for top-down socks, but otherwise, the 12 inch is perfectly sized for a sock. A few people have had some trouble with cramping hands, but many have said that this is the only way they'll ever knit socks. Each knitter has her/his own preference, I'd suggest trying several methods and see which becomes your favorite.

Good luck,

Margaret

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Feb 12, 2009 4:00 PM

Thank you Ann and Margaret especially!  Today I started with my new 12" Addi Turbos and found them a bit awkward at first which I expected.  Three hours later I am really going along fast and actually enjoying the process!  I am so glad I tried this method, but I do see how some knitters might not like it so well.  I bought the needles thru alpacadirect and got very good and fast service from them.  Thanks again for the help!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Katie@3 wrote
on Jun 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Hi Anne, I just purchased the 12" circular needle. I can't wait for it to be delivered. I always knit wool worsted weight with dpn's but finger weight or sock weight is difficult for me on dpn's. do you think it's easier with these circular needles. I'm hoping so and I want to make more socks a lot quicker, in this lifetime!  If you have any tips for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS