New knitter

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kathyesther wrote
on Apr 11, 2013 12:54 PM

I am trying to learn how to knit.  I have to keep pulling out my rows because I keep adding to them.  I also cannot remember how to start without checking the video.  Can you help me?  I feel so dumb about learning to knit.  It is like you have to be perfect or it won't work.

Kathyesther

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 623
salmonmac wrote
on Apr 12, 2013 4:51 AM

Hi Kathyesther, You keep adding stitches? Happens to everyone especially in the beginning. Here's a link that may help you out with the cause of the extra stitches:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32886

One of the most common reasons is pulling the yarn up and over the needle when you start a new row. That'll make the end stitch look like two sts and if you knit both, there's your increase. Try pulling the yarn off to the side so that you can see the end stitch or put a marker (a loop of scrap yarn or a paper clip on the needle, say 5 sts in from the ends/ It'll help you see those end sts.

It does take patience but don't worry about having to refer to a video everytime you cast on, eventually you do learn it. Then you may go looking for a different cast on and you're back to the videos again.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
soozieq wrote
on Aug 26, 2013 8:54 PM

Be patient with yourself....learning such a large group of skills takes time and practice.  If you are hard on yourself, you won't enjoy knitting.  We all get there in the end, eventually, as long as you don't make yourself so miserable that you give up.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS