She's 62, left handed and wants to learn to knit. Any suggestions?

This post has 31 Replies | 14 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:36 PM

Thank you!  I've forward all emails to my friend and will let her sort out all of the generous responses.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:37 PM

Thank you! I've forward all emails to my friend and will let her sort out all of the generous responses. Syl

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:38 PM

Thank you!  I've forward all emails to my friend and will let her sort out all of the generous responses.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:39 PM

Thank you - I've forward all emails to my friend and will let her sort out all of the generous responses.

Syl

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:39 PM

Thank you.  I've forward all emails to my friend - will let her sort out all of the generous responses.

Syl

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:40 PM

Thank you.  Have forward all emails to my friend and will let her sort out all of the generous responses.

Syl

Not Ranked
Posts 1
roblarson wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 5:06 PM

I am 64 and left handed. I taught myself to knit in the late '60s using a book, but I never could learn how to knit left handed, lol! So I knit right handed, but crochet left handed (a lot easier to learn). There are lots of books and videos out there. Here is one site: http://www.woolandthegang.com/en/videos/index. There are tons of videos on YouTube also. It's never too late to learn!

Rob Angel

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Dawn L. wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 5:37 PM
Use youtube type in left handed and knitting many good examples come up.
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Knitknitknit wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 10:41 PM

I'm a right handed knitter and have taught people to knit left ahnded. Have her sit in front of you, facing you. She can follow along using the mirror image.  She does what you do, but in a way backwards.  She can learn and hopefully enjoy it!  Plase tell her I said Happy Knitting!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 10, 2013 11:40 PM

I certainly agree.  Also left-handed, I taught myself English style...but I haven't made any changes and so I guess I knit right-handed and would love to learn Continental as it appears that it would be much faster being done with my stronger left hand.  Join a group and just start with videos and illustrations and then with help. i do crochet left-handed and have run into many problems with that...so far all soluble.  Give it a go.  Knitting is greatly rewarding and fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 10, 2013 11:41 PM

I certainly agree.  Also left-handed, I taught myself English style...but I haven't made any changes and so I guess I knit right-handed and would love to learn Continental as it appears that it would be much faster being done with my stronger left hand.  Join a group and just start with videos and illustrations and then with help. i do crochet left-handed and have run into many problems with that...so far all soluble.  Give it a go.  Knitting is greatly rewarding and fun!Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 7
julia v wrote
on Jul 11, 2013 12:55 AM

I think these posters are pretty amazing!

Time  Does anybody really know what time it is?  Does anybody really care?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Pat@286 wrote
on Jul 11, 2013 7:53 AM

I would strongly advise that your friend learn to knit right handed. I'm left-handed and learned how to knit that way years ago, and then about 8 years ago I decided to get back into knitting by taking a class learning to knit right-handed and it's been great! It sooo much easier to have questions answered if you are knitting right-handed.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 12, 2013 1:44 PM

Thank you for the input.  I will forward you suggestion to my friend.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Jul 13, 2013 10:56 AM

A mirror may be helpful in translating hands for the learner. Smile

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS