Calico Shawl Question April 2013 Issue

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
kthypear wrote
on May 5, 2013 12:08 PM

I have worked the beginning of the pattern where you co 4 sts and knit 6 row and work row 1-32 of chart 1.  I have come out with 73 sts not the 114 sts that the pattern says I should have.  So I started all over again on another day, same thing, can't figure this out.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on May 6, 2013 1:13 PM

Dear Kthypear,

What magazine are you referring to?  The only thing I can tell you without seeing the pattern is to carefully reread the beginning instructions.  Make sure you haven't missed any increases in the first 6 rows.  If this is a triangular shawl, often there are increases done at each end or you are instructed to turn the work and pick up a certain number of stitches on the cast on edge of the work.  By doing that, you often double the number of stitches you start with and will give you the right number of stitches needed to start the chart and end up with the number of stitches you are supposed to have at the end of the first chart.  Oh, one other thing to keep in mind, although most magazines make an effort to proof their patterns, occasionally, errors slip through.  Check the website for the magazine and see if there is an errata for the pattern in question.  An errata, is a correction made after the magazine went to press.  As one who writes my own patterns, I try to make sure that I proof my patterns before sharing them with anyone.

I hope this helps,

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
mmseeger wrote
on May 6, 2013 4:08 PM

I think I saw this pattern recently ....but can't find it at this moment.....it has a stitch count ...and then next to it there is a second stitch count within parenthesis.   First number is for the first 32 rows you have done.....then I believe you are to repeat those 32 rows and the number wihtin the ( ) is what you should get after the repeat.   ....73 for the first round and 114 for the repeat.

Hope this is the pattern you're making.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on May 6, 2013 10:00 PM

Dear Kthypear,

I pulled my Knitscene magazine (Summer 2013) that has the Calico Shawl Pattern.  From looking at it and reading through the first set of instructions, I think I know what you did.  You started the first chart directly after the first 6 rows.  This is one of the standard starts for triangular shawls that uses the cast on edge of the work to double the number of stitches as well as adding an additional 3 on the turning side, which gives you, 11 stitches total before you start working the chart.  A little hint that might make things easier, work the side and cast on edge stitches with a double point needle and then slip the worked stitches to the working needle of your circulars.  Using the double point needle makes it easier to work around the side edge and cast on edge. 

Please let me know if this helps and when you get the shawl done, post a pic of it in the Fabulous Projects forum.  I'd love to see how it turns out for you.

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

PS.  One more thing, after looking at the charts, it would appear that the charts are leaving out the 4 stitches done in garter stitch on each side.  The chart is worked between your edge markers.  As you progress with the shawl, it may help to mark the center stitch.  One other thing about lace knitting, if you are fairly new to this technique, grab some different colored scrap yarn and thread it through a row every so often, say at the end of each chart repeat.  This is called a life line.  Believe me, it works.  This way if you have to tear it out, you don't have to tear the whole thing out and start over.  I have done a lot of lace knitting and I swear by them.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS