Where to CO stitches for underarm?

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jun 8, 2013 2:27 PM

Hello, I first would like to put a warning that I am fairly new to pattern knitting and entirely new to this scale of it. This is my first attempt at a garment. I've been doing a lot of knitting and un-knitting and strategizing but I'm stuck on this one....

I'm only listing the stitch numbers for the size I'm working on.

Divide for sleeves and body: Place first 36 sts on holder for sleeve, remove m, using the cable method, CO 3 sts for the underarm, pm for new beg of rnd, CO 3 sts for underarm, work 56 sts in patt, remove m, place next 36 sts on holder for sleeve, remove m, CO 3 sts for underarm, pm for side, CO 3 sts for underarm, work in patt to 1 st before rnd m, k1 -- 124 sts rem for lower body.

My question is.... where do I do the cable cast ons? Because of how the cable cast on works, it seems like I have to either knit the stitches I just cast on, or drag a huge piece of yarn over the back... the pattern doesn't say which. I think I'm doing something wrong because each time I try a different method, the lace pattern doesn't line up anymore.

Please help... ~ DeirdreLightning

[It is a 2 st repeat lace pattern of 4 rows and up to this point in the pattern, it's been having me keep 1 St st on each side of each marker (there were 4; 2 for each sleeve). After the divide for sleeves and body, the pattern wants me to continue putting 1 St st on either side of the two remaining markers (for the side "seams").]

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 669
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 9, 2013 4:55 AM

Wow, sounds like a challenging first big project. It seems like it's being knit top down in the round. The working strand of yarn is coming from the right needle and you place the next 36sts on a holder. Now take the right needle in you left hand and cable cast on 3sts, place a marker, and continue to cast on 3 more sts. Put the needle with the cast on sts back into your right hand, and continue the round to the marker for the next sleeve and repeat the process. You'll knit the cast on sts on the next round.

You may not be able to start the lace pattern in exactly the same place as the original pattern directions but instead, look at the rows you've already knit and figure out how you can make the next sts line up with that lace pattern. Once you can see that, you can count backwards and start correctly in pattern. The most important thing is to keep the pattern aligned and you do this by learning to read your stitches.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jun 9, 2013 9:28 AM

Hey... thanks so much for responding... and with such great speed! :D

What you suggest is what I eventually did, adding the stitches then moving them over to the right needle... I just have to add two knit stitches after each marker to keep the pattern in line. I was just worried that I was doing something wrong or missed something in the directions. I feel much better now! Thank you so much!

And uh... yeah, I guess I tend to jump for big things straight away. The overall design is very simple though, so this is by far the trickiest bit. I know a lot more about how to un-knit now!

I was going to give you a heart in thanks, but the emotes only have a broken heart and a wilted flower... odd. So, I give you a beer of thanks instead! Beer

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jun 9, 2013 9:47 AM

The project I'm working on is the Stonecutter Sweater from the most recent issue of Interweave Knits (Summer 2013). I'm using the same yarn but in Persimmon. I'm also altering the pattern slightly (we'll see how that goes) to adjust for my like for longer body/sleeves.

When I'm done I'll post pictures and I think I might write something up about how I got through parts that confused me as a new pattern knitter... it was hard to find some mid-level info, so hopefully I can help others at that stage. Wilted Flower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Pepper797 wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 3:03 PM

Hi knitting enthusiasts! I have just begun the body of this sweater but I’m stuck. (This should be the easy part, right?) After dividing for the armholes I now have 124 stitches, divided evenly by 2 markers. My issue is that the pattern is no longer lining up. Up to this point it was running to the left but now it’s starting to run to the right. Oh and I am knitting the 1st on each side of the marker, then starting the lace. Please help! Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 669
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 4:05 PM

Feircemouselord, thanks very much for the beer. A toast to you!

Pepper, the best way to look at this is to "read" the sts that you've already knit. Let that tell you where in the pattern to start you first stitch. Often a pattern will shift after binding off sts or decreasing or increasing. If you can look at the rows already knit, it'll help you line up the next row correctly.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Pepper797 wrote
on Dec 10, 2013 4:49 PM

Unfortunately I've done this and it looks fine for a few rows...and then 30 minutes later it starts to look off. I've taken out my stitches so many times that the yarn is now starting to look frayed. Sad I've even tried to add 2 knit stitches on each side of the marker and it still didn't look right. I think my only hope now is to take it to a knitting group and get some live help. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 669
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 11, 2013 4:55 AM

Try doing your pattern stitch with some scrap yarn on a small swatch, maybe two or three pattern repeats. Watch how the stitches build in each row and take notes on which stich goes into a yo, etc..

Of course, a knitting group is a good idea. Having someone right there to see the pattern hellps enormously.

It's a gorgeous sweater:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stonecutter-sweater

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS