Pickup stitches for sleeve, then purl next row problem

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
wbquest wrote
on Jun 14, 2013 1:40 PM

I think I am picking up stitches properly for my second sleeve.  (I did it correctly for the first sleeve.) However, when I then purl the next row, they come out knit stitches. I guessed that maybe I didn't have the right side facing, so I tried again, this time turning the sweater inside out to pick up and knit and I had the same problem when I purled the first (next) row - it looks like knit stitches. I don't know anyone to show me what I'm doing wrong and I'm completely baffled and frustrated - any ideas?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 14, 2013 3:26 PM

I'm assuming that you're knitting with a circular needle? Pick up the sts from the right side, starting at the underarm and working around so that the new sts are picked up onto the righthand needle. That way, the working yarn will be coming off the end of the righthand needle when you finish picking up sts. When you start to knit the first round, make sure the tips of the knitting needles are closest to you with the loop of the needle away from you. It should look  like sipping from a cup. That way, if you purl the first round, the purl bumps will be to the outside.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
wbquest wrote
on Jun 15, 2013 7:26 AM

Yes, I should have mentioned that I'm knitting with circs (and that's why I thought I had the right side facing). Thanks!  I'll give it a try soon and let you know.  Update:  It took me 3 tries, but it worked!!!  Actually, the first try worked but I had only picked up 52 instead of 60 stitches - this is a double-stranded piece on size 4 needles, so very tight.  Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS