Bettie's Pullover/interweave winter 2011

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
ViviH12 wrote
on Jul 9, 2013 3:38 AM

Help!

I can't quite understand how to join the body to the sleeves or the decreasing of the sleeve and shaping the armhole at the same time. Can anyone help me with extra directions or understanding the pattern instructions? Perhaps there is a video demonstration online somewhere? I love the challenge, but am finding the instructions confusing - it's my first time circular knitting!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Jul 13, 2013 5:14 AM

Can you post just the few lines that are confusing you? Maybe we can figure it out from there.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mamabird47 wrote
on Nov 30, 2013 9:18 AM

Hi Viv,

I am having exactly the same problem. When you have 18 sts each front, 72 for the back, and 16 each sleeve. The instructions say to knit 17 ssk turn, knit to end repeat twice then have 10 sts on right sleeve, Er NO! we've only decreased 3 sts. I can normally find these things out by trial and error but this is not happening and I'm spoiling the wool, constantly unpicking it.

I'm knitting this for my son's new, and lovely, girlfriend. Its already late, due to aggravations over the pattern blocks. (Where you start the wrapping short rows, and then trying to fit the feather pattern. The instructions aren't very clear. Maybe its because I normally knit back and forth and its presumed that a twit like me will know to .....? I don't.

I think there are assumptions that we'll know what is meant. I don't.

If you've found a way around this very confusing decrease I'd be very grateful for your advice. I'm desparate to finish it.

Thanks a lot xx

mamabird

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Nov 30, 2013 7:16 PM

This question has been around for awhile so perhaps the original poster did solve the problem and will see this.

If not, can you let us know exactly where you are in the pattern? Is it a top down pullover? Are you working the sleeves or one of the fronts?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/betties-pullover

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mamabird47 wrote
on Dec 1, 2013 12:08 PM

Hello Salmonmac,

Thank you so much for replying. I hope I'm allowed to reply here.

I have knitted the sweater up to sleeve top and shoulder shaping. It's a bottom up pattern in the round.
I have 18 sts on each front, 16 sts on each sleeve and 72 across the back.
The pattern says to knit 17 ssk1 turn purl to end, repeat twice leaving 10 sts on sleeve. This brings me back to the right front neckline
The numbers don't add up as I've only removed 3 sts not 6. It doesn't tell me how to then get back on track to remove the other 3.

If I folow these instructions, I'm actually removing sts from the right front and not the sleeve.

I've used sequined wool and what I've done so far looks fabulous.  I don't want to give up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the pattern recently, though I now understand it has been available for some time.

I bought, then downloaded the pattern. I could maybe copy it over to you, where you can see the whole pattern and understand my difficulty.
I bet you would look at it and know rightaway what I'm not seeing :o)

Em x

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Dec 1, 2013 1:01 PM

em.carver-barrass@mypostoffice.co.uk:
I have 18 sts on each front, 16 sts on each sleeve and 72 across the back.

The pattern says to knit 17 ssk1 turn purl to end, repeat twice leaving 10 sts on sleeve.

You knit 17 of the 18 front sts, then you do a  SSK with the last front st and the first sleeve st.

Keeping the front st count at 18 and mathematically removing the decreases from the sleeve sts leaves you with 13 (16-3=13).

Given that you are to end with 10 NOT 13, you either need to

1) Do this a total of 6 times NOT three,

2) Decrease at the start of the purl row as well or...

3) Do the same shaping from the back sts on either armpit.  Have you read ahead to check the directions for the back?

I checked Ravelry and didn't see any mention of this being an issue.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 3, 2013 6:14 AM

I love the idea of using the sequinned yarn for this sweater.

I would go with RK's first suggestion and repeat thew decrease 3 more times. You'll have a line of decreases at the front shoulder, 18sts on the right frtont and 10sts at the shoulder.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 5, 2013 4:58 AM

it looks like the problem may be in the sssk which is a double decrease:

Shape sleeve caps: *Sl 1, knit to 1
st before m, sssk (removing m and replacing
it after dec), turn

That'll dec 2 sts each time or the 6 stitch dec that you need.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mamabird47 wrote
on Dec 5, 2013 8:32 AM

Ah!

I knew it would be a silly thing. The pattern says ask but should be sssk, right? So I knit 2 together, then pass slip st over?

I've got that, where it then says (to shape shoulders) knit 12, but there are 10 sts. Does that mean that I'm involving 1 st from both the front side and back edge? Knitting in the round is a big gap in my knitting knowledge which I must fix!

So sorry to ask what must be obvious to you. I really appreciate it.

Em 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 7, 2013 4:40 AM

Sssk is shown here http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/slip-slip-slip-knit-english  You could also try k2tog psso and see which you prefer.

When you begin the Shape Shoulder, you're knitting across the right front sts. There are a couple of short rows and then on short row 3, you knit 17 (out of 18 right front sts) and again sssk so that you're down to 8sts for the sleeve.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS