Lifelong knitter from Australia

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Jul 22, 2013 7:04 AM

Hi there everyone,

Well my name is Jenny.  I live in Australia.  I've been knitting since I was 4 and that was a very long time ago. Lets say the early 60's.  I had the fortune of a mother who loved to knit and she taught me how to do knit stitch before I even started school. I can still remember that horribly messy scarf that I so desperately tried to complete, but so proudly finished with lots of help from my mum.  Writing this makes me I feel quite ancient when I think about it. Yet it only seems like yesterday.  

Suppose knitting has been a god send in my life as it relaxes me and I do try to knit each day when I put my feet up in front of the tv at the end of the day. It is a bit of a ritual winding down and it is the time of the day I so look forward to.

I suppose I can't begin to tell you of the things I've knitted in all of these years and foolishly I never took pictures. Never really thought of them as a wonderful accomplishment to put on blogs or facebook.  We didn't have them in my day, just passing the time and not wasting it. Well that is how I saw it

My latest achievement was accomplishing Fair Isle knitting.  This has been challenging and quite rewarding. Made a few lovely warm jumpers that I get complimented on every time I wear them, which has been nice but not expected.

Well I haven't really spent time writing in forums, but for some reason reading all of your posts have somehow inspired me to give this line of communication a go.

Well I enjoy chatting with nice people so would love to hear from anyone who loves knitting as much as me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Jul 24, 2013 7:42 PM

Hi Jenny, Youv'e come to the right place. There are lots of us here who share your love of knitting. Glad that you've joined us!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Jul 25, 2013 5:42 AM

Hi there, 

How lovely of you to take the time to respond to my first message on the forum. Really didn't know it anyone would.  Afraid I am not too familiar with all of this social media.

So tell me what have you been knitting lately? 

Regards,

Jenny

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KarenT@15 wrote
on Jul 25, 2013 11:33 PM

I really was touched by your story of learning to knit at your Mums side and the pride in that first accomplishment. I've never really been much to write on the Internet before but I've been a knitter myself since I was 4 years old, and the nice ladies at the Catholic Youth Center Summer programs taught us to knit, sew, and roller skate. It has been an enormous comfort in my own life since that time. I fortunately have taken a lot of photos over the years of my finished items. I just recently joined Ravelry to begin to build a catalog of things I knit and compare them to how others have interpreted the specific pattern or get ideas for patterns I want to knit. I am excited to be planning a Knit Along with my niece Amanda who lives on the East Coast of the U.S.A. while I live in Oregon on the West Coast.  

Congratulations on doing the Fair Isle. it can be fun and rewarding to knit. My husband gave me the Alice Starmore Oregon Vest pattern and knitting kit for my birthday this past year. I haven't been able to start it due to medical illness but Im getting ready to begin now that things are more stable (I hope). 

Welcome to the online knitting community. I'm finding it is becoming a nice addition to the quality of my knitting life, but it doesnt replace that nightly wind down with a few rows of my mindless project of the moment. 

Karen Talerico

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Jul 26, 2013 12:58 AM

Hi Karen,

So nice to hear from you and thank you for your response.

I must admit ,as I quickly skimmed your note at my busy moment I comprehended the "Catholic ladies" as such and further reading it, as they "also taught you to roller skate" gave me vision of Nuns in their black habits on roller skates ......and I so admit I had such a laugh.  I thank you for that ,as it broke my stress of the day as some pressing issues that have been so frustrating for me.

So you can tell yourself the time, you have taken to send a few words, which went so far across the planet from where you are so helped a person today.  Thanks so much.

Well I have to say continuing to read your response made me sad to think you have been ill.  I so understand where you are coming from as I look after an adult son who is now disabled.  It know first hand it is a terrible place when you are unable to do the things you love because of illness. It broke my heart as it sounds like you have not been well for a while..... its just so not good.  I really hope you have such a full recovery and are 100% so soon!

I hope you get to start your vest pattern and enjoy the outcome.  If I may give you some advice with my experience and past attempts.  I have found some patterns do not allow enough tension in the knitting.  Some patterns continue to say use the recommended size for the usual ply of wool.  I have found that if the pattern is only in part of the garment and the needle size is not larger, when the garment is washed a few time it tends to shrink in the area of the pattern.  The wool pulls taught in the hand washing process.

I suggest you make sure your tension is a bit looser than the norm over the pattern design.  Your garment will look better for much longer. This happened to me with one particular jumper I made and had to learn this the hard way.  So if as you are knitting the tension is  a touch on the tight side please try a slightly larger needle size. So you do not waste all of that time and be disappointed after you've washed it a couple of times. 

Also great to hear about your Knit Along with your neice.  That is really special and unique as most younger generation fuss about all this technology and turn their noses at picking up knitting needles ...is the last thing on their mind.  Good effort on your part, as obviously you have been a positive role model in her life.

Do take care and look after yourself and please let me know how things go.  If I could be of any help do contact me again. I'd love to hear how you are going.

Sincerest  Jenny

Not Ranked
Posts 2
katielue wrote
on Oct 6, 2013 8:24 AM

Hi Jenny, Youv'e come to the right place. There are lots of us here who share your love of knitting. Glad that you've joined us!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
katielue wrote
on Oct 6, 2013 8:27 AM

Hi Karen,

So nice to hear from you and thank you for your response.

I must admit ,as I quickly skimmed your note at my busy moment I comprehended the "Catholic ladies" as such and further reading it, as they "also taught you to roller skate" gave me vision of Nuns in their black habits on roller skates ......and I so admit I had such a laugh.  I thank you for that ,as it broke my stress of the day as some pressing issues that have been so frustrating for me.

So you can tell yourself the time, you have taken to send a few words, which went so far across the planet from where you are so helped a person today.  Thanks so much.

Well I have to say continuing to read your response made me sad to think you have been ill.  I so understand where you are coming from as I look after an adult son who is now disabled.  It know first hand it is a terrible place when you are unable to do the things you love because of illness. It broke my heart as it sounds like you have not been well for a while..... its just so not good.  I really hope you have such a full recovery and are 100% so soon!

I hope you get to start your vest pattern and enjoy the outcome.  If I may give you some advice with my experience and past attempts.  I have found some patterns do not allow enough tension in the knitting.  Some patterns continue to say use the recommended size for the usual ply of wool.  I have found that if the pattern is only in part of the garment and the needle size is not larger, when the garment is washed a few time it tends to shrink in the area of the pattern.  The wool pulls taught in the hand washing process.

I suggest you make sure your tension is a bit looser than the norm over the pattern design.  Your garment will look better for much longer. This happened to me with one particular jumper I made and had to learn this the hard way.  So if as you are knitting the tension is  a touch on the tight side please try a slightly larger needle size. So you do not waste all of that time and be disappointed after you've washed it a couple of times. 

Also great to hear about your Knit Along with your neice.  That is really special and unique as most younger generation fuss about all this technology and turn their noses at picking up knitting needles ...is the last thing on their mind.  Good effort on your part, as obviously you have been a positive role model in her life.

Do take care and look after yourself and please let me know how things go.  If I could be of any help do contact me again. I'd love to hear how you are going.

Sincerest  katie

Not Ranked
Posts 6
taylorj1979 wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 9:38 AM

Hi. I'm new here too! I had learned how to knit when I was little and absolutely loved it. Since then I've not really been knitting a lot and I want to start getting into it again. I'd love to knit some socks as presents for Christmas as I always think it's nicer to give hand-made presents rather than just buying mass-produced stuff. I'm hoping to get some creative ideas from here and to learn some new patterns too! :)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS