Socks that fit

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on Aug 2, 2013 2:40 AM
I have a couple of copies of Sockupied plus the Interweave Socks book and countless other books on socks.  I am about to knit my first pair and really need my hands held for this pair but the step by step instructions are for 8ply and I am using 3ply.  Can you tell me if the new Autumn issue of Sockupied with have a pattern using 3ply as I really need those fit instructions - I have regular sized feet but big ankles and fenceposts for legs (thanks to my Nanna)!

Can you also answer a question from a technically illiterate person - if I access my emags of Sockupied when away from my wireless internet access, will I be able to open up the various options in it or do you need to be connected to the internet at the time?

Note to Interweave - love your magazines - I have been subscribing to SpinOff since the 80's and also subscribe to Interweave Knits.  Keep up the good work.  One request please for more garments in thinner yarn (the old 5ply is great) as our climate does not suit thicker garments.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Aug 5, 2013 11:51 AM

Dear Margaret,

Congratulations on starting your first pair of socks! How exciting! We'll be happy to talk you through the difficult spots. :) And it should be fun to consider shaping for your unique feet! The fall issue actually has an article for just that situation.

I'm not sure how to advise you on yarn, though. Do you happen to know what the equivalent of 3-ply is in American yarn standards? It seems (based on what I can find online) that 3-ply is fingering weight or light fingering weight. The socks specially designed to work for wide ankles are made in Dream in Color Smooshy, which is 450 yd (411 m) to 4 oz (113 g). If that's a little bigger than the yarn you have in mind, you might be able to make a slightly larger size using a smaller needle and come out with the right size for you.

As for your technical question: The answer depends slightly on whether you're using the Mac/PC versions or the iPad version. For the Mac/PC version, you have the patterns when you have the issue--you don't need to be connected to WiFi to use them. The first time you click on the "Pattern PDF" button, the pattern will open and you'll have a choice of where to save it on your computer.

The first issues of Sockupied on the iPad required you to have WiFi the first time you opened the pattern; from the in-app viewer you could save the pattern on your iPad to use offline. (For information on that process, check out the blog post about Sockupied on the iPad.)

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on Aug 5, 2013 8:22 PM

Many thanks for your reply Anne - I just found it!  I don't have much detail on the yarn as it came in bulk from a mill and the machine knitters in our group knitted up sock blanks for us.  The spinners then dyed these blanks and this is what I will be using.  The only information I have is that it is 3ply wool.  I have just tested it on my Wraps Per Inch tool and I get 20wpi.  The chart shows me this converts to Fingering or "1" weight, equivalent to 6.75-8 stitches per inch using US needles 1-3 or metric 2.25-3.25.  I will be using metric 2.25 needles.  Can you tell me how the Cream in Color Smooshy relates to this?

My downloads are onto my laptop (PC) so that sounds promising.  We will be going on a cruise from Sydney to Hawaii and return next month and I thought this would be a good project to take with me - hence my need to have the info on the computer.  I will actually take my little netbook (not advanced enough yet to have an ipad) so will download the issues onto it.  If the Smooshy yarn diameter is not too different then it sounds like I should get the fall issue before we go.  Internet access on the ship is usually very slow, unreliable and expensive - hence my desire to have it all accessible on the computer.  This also means that contact with this forum may not work but I can try.  Worst case scenario is that I update you on my success on our return.  Many thanks for your help.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Aug 6, 2013 2:56 PM

Dear Margaret,

I don't have a skein of Smooshy on hand (I wish I had a library of all the yarns!), but the needle size called for in the pattern is 2.5 mm, so you're definitely in the ballpark. The difference between 2 mm, 2.25 mm, and 2.5 mm is so subjective that three knitters using those three sizes could come up with the same gauge (or the knitter with the smallest needles might even wind up with the loosest gauge). 

Your cruise sounds wonderful! I hope you come back with a brand-new pair of socks. :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on Aug 7, 2013 5:51 PM

Thanks Anne.  I'm off to order the Fall issue of Sockupied now!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on Aug 20, 2013 4:00 AM

Hi Anne

I finally just went to order the Fall Sockupied  but it only shows the Fall 2012 issue.  Is this the one we are talking about as having the fit instructions for big ankles or should I be looking for Fall 2013?

Thanks,

Margaret

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on Aug 20, 2013 4:12 AM

Hi again Anne

Please ignore my previous entry!!  I thought 2012 could not be right so went to the KD site and put Fall Sockupied 2013 into the search  and there it was including a note that it included the fit details. I don't know why only the 2012 one came up before.  I have now ordered it so have to go and pack all the bits and bobs I need.  Many thanks for all your help.

Margaret

Not Ranked
Posts 5
frank jhon wrote
on Mar 24, 2014 4:24 AM

Yup Got it..

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS