Fall 2013 Changes

This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
dawn@21 wrote
on Aug 4, 2013 9:06 AM

I just received my copy of the magazine.   Read the editor's opening comments and immediately began looking for the  'yarn page'................nope...........not there.

I live in an area where there is one LYS for 75 miles... they do a great job but certainly can't carry every yarn company pictured in the magazines.  I can't tell you how many times I've carried my copy of Interweave Knits into the LYS and kept it open to the yarn page while trying to substitute yarns for the patterns I'd like to knit.

The editorial tells me to contact the new editor, Lisa or that there is a PDF on the "Fall 2013 page" But I can't find either.....

So, Lisa, here is my opinion.... I don't mind the glossary moving but you went a step too far taking out the yarn page.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Winniwilma Crying [:'(] wrote
on Aug 13, 2013 2:23 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  The project index page disappeared earlier this year and I'm still mourning.  If there was some kind of explanation, I missed it.  The usefulness of the back issues has declined considerably due to these two changes.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 98
mandyangela wrote
on Aug 13, 2013 2:58 PM

The ''Colorwork Pastoral'' section  -  they are all lovely patterns, but as they are all green/brown, nothing really stands out very well.  For me, it doesn't have much visual appeal. 

I also agree with the other commenter above - reinstate the yarn source page.  That way, a knitter can take the whole magazine in, select likely alternatives and decide by looking at the pics of the garment in the magazine, decide which is the best substitution for drape, texture, etc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,337
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 15, 2013 4:05 PM

Hi All!

The yarn page and other resources for the fall issue are available now. Just click on the link near the top of the page, right above the "Buy Now" button.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/interweaveknits/archive/2013/07/22/Interweave-Knits-Fall-2013.aspx

Kathleen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 98
mandyangela wrote
on Aug 16, 2013 7:32 AM

Another thought I had on this issue concerns the Bryn Mawr dress.  Perhaps this could have had a 'section' of its own just like the Cobble Hill Pullover in the Spring 2012 issue.  The dress had a very lengthy pattern section (7 and a bit pages) and this made the pattern section for 'As the Crow Flies' seem very long.  Having its own section would have given this beautiful, striking dress the prominence it merits.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 454
bessT wrote
on Aug 16, 2013 9:53 PM

Hello Kathleen and everyone

On the cover of Fall 2013, I was attracted to the highlight "colorwork 3 ways" - I am looking for an article about color done 3 ways...or something...not seeing that, is there some other pointer/article about color that I'm overlooking?  BessT

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Lee Wells wrote
on Aug 18, 2013 8:07 AM

Putting the yarn information and the glossary on-line rather than in the magazine itself presumes that all knitters have internet access.   Not all knitters have internet access, especially in rural areas (there have been some reports recently about the problems businesses and government in rural areas have with getting internet service).  For knitters who carry the magazine for the instructions with the yarn and needles, having to find internet access to figure out some technique we are not familiar with is a real drawback.    If the purpose of leaving out the yarn information and glossary was to make more room for photographs of the sweaters, the Bryn Mawr Dress is so poorly shown the details are nearly invisible.  The dress looks like it was photographed in the shade, with the background brightly lit.  (I only realized there was an elaborate pattern of twisted stitches after I saw the charts)  The Barnard Raglan and the Seven Sisters Raglan are not much better.  I had to take the magazine outside and look at the pages in full sunlight to see the details, and some details are more surmised than seen.  I am disappointed in these changes.  Lee

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
mmseeger wrote
on Aug 18, 2013 11:37 AM

I was also looking for an  ''article" ...but I think it's actually the patterns that start on page 70....perhaps ?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Aug 24, 2013 1:09 PM

Thanks Kathleen for the site for the yarn info. 

I find past issues had much more helpful information on the yarn.  I'd like to see either the wraps per inch (wpi) for each yarn, or the number of stitches and rows per inch (or 4 inches for that matter).  Often, the manufacturer's stitch and row count differs from the pattern, and when I substitute yarns I find it helpful to know the manufacturers gauge.

Dayoan MusicMusicMusic

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mawm wrote
on Aug 25, 2013 4:14 PM

Why is it important to have information about the yarns in the magazine?  I not only want the information about fiber content and gauge, I want to know the knitting weight (lace, sport, worsted, etc.) that is indicated by the wpi. For me, there are a number of reasons:

1)  I live in a rural area that does not have specialty yarn shops within 100 miles.  If it can't be found at Walmart or Hobby Lobby, I will have to order off the internet or make a substitution.  2)  Yarns are discontinued.  I have knitting magazines dating back more than 20 years.  I hope to keep my Interweave Knits just as long.  If I can no longer find a particular yarn (which happened just recently with a not-so-old pattern), I have no choice but to substitute yarn.  3)  If I buy the magazine, I do not like having to go online for additional information.  It is aggravating enough having to find and print the pattern corrections (though I understand that mistakes happen and appreciate that corrections are available) and I don't like having to search online for additional information.

For those of you that think that I may be some old fogey that lives in the dark ages, I am not.  But I have been around long enough to know that media changes.  I started using computers before there was a PC in every home.  I have used floppy disks (large and small), zip drives, CDs and flash drives and countless versions of software.  What you save on any medium now may not be accessible to you a few years from now.  And I enjoy flipping through the pages of my Interweave Knitting magazine (again and again!), more than scrolling through the pages on a screen. I spend too much time at the computer as it is.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
skitt53 wrote
on Aug 26, 2013 7:38 PM

Bring back the glossary please! Part of the fun of knitting is it's mobility. I often carry the magazine in my knitting bag and refer to it as I knit. I don't bring the Internet with me to look up techniques. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS