Gauge Swatch

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
DebraH@16 wrote
on Sep 8, 2013 6:50 PM

Hi,

Would someone please help me understand what am about to send.

Here is where I'm having problems understanding when the cable pattern only has 8 stitches total.

Gauge: 28 sts / 42 rows in cable pattern:

I have a question as a beginner would you please tell me what does this mean. Gauge: 28 sts / 42 rows in cable pattern. Now the pattern has 8 stitches - Row 1: knit 8 std; Row 2: purl 8 std; Row 3: 2/2 RC; Row 4: purl 8 sts; Row 5: knit 8 std; Row 6: purl 8 sts; Row 7: K4, 2/2 LC; and row 8: Purl 8 sts. How do I do that gauge when I only have 8 stitches total.

Thank You 

Debra

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 687
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 9, 2013 3:45 AM

Yes, those are the directions for the cable itself. It is probablly used in you knit item with some additional stitches: maybe in a sweater with repeats of the cable with purl stitches on either side, maybe with several repeats of the basic cable. When you go to do the gauge swatch you'll want to knit a swatch similar to the cable area of the larger item, say 2-3 cable repeats and the intervening sts. You'll need to  cast on about 34sts or so to get something over 4 inches of knit fabric. That way you can measure gauge over the middle 4 inches for the most accurate idea of your gauge.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS