Blocking a wool afghan

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
TGT wrote
on Oct 24, 2013 7:54 AM

Can someone please tell me how to block a standard size 100% wool afghan. Obviously dipping it in water won't work as I cannot find an area large enough to block the entire piece. I have fashioned an area by using a yoga mat and covering it with an ironing board piece for sewing that has 1" grid marks so I can probably do half at a time. I watched a video on u-tube that showed spraying then using hand held steamer (which I do have). This sounds like the optimal way for me however the videographer (?) said one partial sentence regarding wool at the very end that of course I couldn't catch. I listened to it several times and all I heard was "be careful with wool...blah blah blah". Please help me as I am at this juncture with an afghan and starting a new one with the same yarn. I really need to do this right as these are gifts for my in-laws. Thanks much and time is of the essence!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Oct 25, 2013 6:22 AM

If you gave us the link to the video we could watch it and see if we understand what s/he said.

Without it, what you are planning to do is fine.

i.e. If you don't have a big enough area do the blanket in halves.

i.e. If you have a steam iron you can use that.  I suspect that the warning regarding wool was simply not to have the steamer setting too high, not to have the steamer too close to the wool and/or not to leave the steamer over any given spot for too long.  Unintentional overheating could shrink your wool.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 659
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 6:50 AM

I put towels on top of the carpet and pin the afghan or large piece out to size with a ruler as a guide. Pin straight throung into the carpet. You can also use any spray bottle, cleaned and filled with water to dampen the knitted item; The spray bottle gets to be a bit of exercise for your hands but you do avoid any chance of too much heat from steam.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS