Fall/Winter 2013 KAL: The Tara Jacket

This post has 235 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,533
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Oct 28, 2013 8:02 PM

Join me in knitting the Tara Jacket from Knitscene, Winter 2013.

Order or download the magazine here.

For more information about the pattern, click here.

Here's the schedule:

10/29–11/12: Buy the pattern (or find it in your copy of Knitscene, Winter 2013), choose your yarn, swatch
11/13–1/8: Knit body
1/8–1/30: Knit sleeves
1/31–2/14: Finishing

Here's how a knit-along works:

1. Download your pattern (or find it in a magazine or book if it was previously published).

2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash), and knit your swatch.

3. Introduce yourself and tell us which yarn you're using. To chat in the forum, just reply to this post (or any other post)! This forum is where all of the fun is; it's where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.

(If you're wondering how to insert a photo into a post, click here.)

4. Post a photo of your finished garment when you're done.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,533
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Oct 28, 2013 8:09 PM

I'm going to use Berroco Voyage in birch, which is the same yarn the designer used. I'm knitting this for a friend who's tiny, so I get to knit the smallest size instead of the largest, which is what I usually knit for myself. I think this might be a weight-loss motivator for me. Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 3
rvncrft72 wrote
on Oct 30, 2013 4:54 PM

My name's Melissa. I learned to knit in 2012. I'd just had surgery and started crocheting again and I have mad arthritis through my body. So when the hands started complaining, I started looking for help, and was introduced to knitting. I haven't put it down yet, smile. I love making scarves and afghans, but I'm moving on to clothing. I'll let you know if I find the journey enjoyable or not. I haven't decided if I want to make this for me (XL) or for my sister (S/M). She's my guinea pig, lol. (She gets free items out of the deal, so she doesn't complain.)

I hope to have my current project finished before we get started. Otherwise, I'll be joining you guys a bit late. This is my sister's entrelac shrug I'm working on. I'll finish the first sleeve by the weekend and will only (only I say, geez) have the second sleeve and you guys will have my full attention. Here's where I am on the shrug (I just wanted to practice uploading a photo). This is my first entrelac project. I'm not IN love with it, but I do enjoy doing it. This is also my first time to use dpns, oh boy was the learning curve quick, it had to be, laugh.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Oct 30, 2013 5:09 PM

I just ordered the magazine.  Can't wait for it to come in Geeked  This is going to incorporate quite a few new techniques for me, so I'm sure I will be relying heavily on my internet friends to help me out 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bethanparm wrote
on Oct 30, 2013 6:25 PM

I've never done a KAL before but love this jacket and it looks like an interesting knit - new techniques too. Need to order the magazine and sort out some yarn. I don't know how easy it is to find Berocco in the UK. Manically busy this week...the question is, will I remember to get on with this next week? You may never see me on this forum again - never mind unfinished projects, I'm the queen of the unstarted project! 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
daebee wrote
on Oct 30, 2013 8:13 PM

I just saw this on facebook and I want to knit this! I already have the magazine. I need to check stash first as my budget is a bit limited right now. I hope to get started by 11/13 but if can't find my yarn, it may be a little later. This will be my first KAL with Knitting Daily but I get the emails every week. This pattern really caught my eye since I first saw it. Really looking forward to having fun with you knitters!

Debbie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Sweetsaraki wrote
on Oct 30, 2013 9:06 PM

I'm Sara and this will be my first KAL.  I'm pretty excited about it and fell in love with this jacket when I saw it.  I am currently pregnant though, so it will be next year before I can wear it, sadly.  If I like it enough I may make a few for gifts since I know a few girls this would look great on.  I'm using my 20% off coupon tomorrow to go shopping for yarn.  Hopefully I can squeeze it in before I have to take the kiddos trick-or-treating!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Oct 31, 2013 6:50 PM

Hi, Diana here. I've been knitting on and off for many years now and really enjoy knitting sweaters. I tend to run on the cold side so I'm always making sure that I have nice cozy sweater to wear. I also like to knit in my classroom so that my students can see what I've done and the resultant garment.  I'm currently knitting a cardigan for my son and I have one sleeve and the shawl collar and I'm done. So hopefully, I'll be ready for this jacket.

I especially like how it's designed to be knitted from the top down although it looks like the sleeves are not. I'm thinking that I may just try to knit it top down and see what happens. Sweaters always fit best, to me, if knitted in that manner. Anyway, I looked through my stash and found a beautiful Cephalopod Yarn that's bulky enough to fit the gauge but I may go down one needle size since it states that it's very stretchy. 

Looking forward to my first KAL :D Thanks Kathleen for this opportunity.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Carol Schiro wrote
on Oct 31, 2013 9:33 PM

My name is Carol and this will be my first KAL and my second top down sweater. I LOVE this sweater.  I have 19 skeins of Rowan Classic Cashsoft Aran in a denim blue looking color (not the official name). I know that I will need to knit the largest size and this year weighs 50g but only has 95 yards. If I'm correct, I think I'll need 6 more balls of yarn? Is that correct? I want to make sure I can find 7 more before I start if thats true. I think this yarn is discontinued. Can someone please help me estimate how much I need? Thanks and Happy Halloween! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 71
on Nov 1, 2013 4:38 PM

I plan to knit the sweater also in Berroco Voyage in birch! Just ordered the yarn. 

Wonder if it would be ok to use a crochet provisional caston?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 1, 2013 8:28 PM

I found something in my stash that will work well I think. Knitted up a swatch in the K1, P1 pattern and this is what I have.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Nov 2, 2013 12:54 AM

I'm Christina ~ this jacket is so cute ~ and, not counting a beautiful loose-weave T-shirt I made for myself (it quickly unraveled the first day I wore it :-/ ) this will be my first big project. I hope it fares better!! I plan to make this for my daughter in green, but still need to shop for the yarn. My daughter is small, so hopefully this won't take me too long (I'm a really sloooooow knitter). 

I picked up my yarn today ~ Plymouth Baby Alpaca Aire yarn in Evergreen. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mlmusa wrote
on Nov 2, 2013 3:18 PM

Hi, my name is Monique and I fell in love with this pattern the minute that I saw it. I have purchased it, knitted my swatch and have done the tubular cast on (needed to watch a video or two to make sure I got that part right) I am using Drops Nepal mix.   This is also my first KAL.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 3, 2013 10:08 AM

That looks gorgeous. Post a pic of the swatch (in commenting to bubbysmom)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
gginastoria wrote
on Nov 3, 2013 4:01 PM

My 1st KAL.  I'll be making it for my granddaughter who loves the design.  I have the magazine,  she has promised me measurements soon and I'll do a search of my stash for suitable yarn.  I will do a swatch this time (not a usual procedure).  I'm hoping someone in my family can post pictures for me as I don't own a digital camera or a smart phone.  Having a computer is as far as I go into the strange new world!

Page 1 of 16 (236 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS