Fall/Winter 2013 KAL: The Tara Jacket

This post has 235 Replies | 21 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 3, 2013 4:19 PM

It would be most fun if we all post our swatches and then, in turn, post our progress so we can see how the swatch has transformed into the jacket. How cool would that be!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Nov 4, 2013 3:01 AM

Hi!  I'm Nancy from Minneapolis, and I'm knitting the Tara jacket for my niece Tara who lives in Spokane.  She asked that I use the same yarn shown in the magazine, so I ordered it today (LYS doesn't carry this and I would have had to order 20 skeins thru them).  I'm excited to knit this adorable Tara for Tara!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,591
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 6, 2013 3:03 PM

Hi Folks,

I linked to a tubular cast-on method in my blog post on Knitting Daily, but please don't use that one! Use Ashley's directions in the Tara Jacket pattern instead. The first rib stitch needs to be a purl, and the directions I linked to have it as a knit.

Thanks, and keep up the photo posting! Here's my yarn—as soon as I get my swatch done, I'll post that, too. I'm finishing up a project before I start the Tara.

Kathleen

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Nov 9, 2013 6:33 PM

I'll post a pic as soon as I knit the swatch. I just finished another project and I'm now reading through the pattern before I get started.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
FaithB@7 wrote
on Nov 9, 2013 7:08 PM

Hi, I love this jacket I cant wait to start it just not sure what yarn to use.  Still trying to decide I live in south florida and 90% alpaca will be quite warm for here.  But love the look any other suggestions of yarn that might work?

Thanks,

Faith

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Nov 10, 2013 10:48 AM

So I all too quickly congratulated myself for mastering the provisional cast on, but now I already have a question while working the body.  In the row where we are placing our markers it says "....p1 [k1,p1] 3 times, join waste yarn, k1, p1, k1, for buttonhole, break waste yarn, with working yarn leave a 16" loop, then p1,k1,p1."

Where did this waste yarn come from?  What am I joining?  Complete and total confusion.

Thanks for any advice!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
gginastoria wrote
on Nov 10, 2013 12:29 PM

Use a length of smooth surface yarn or string in the same weight as your working yarn and just k the 1st st, leaving an end long enough to prevent pulling out.  Work the 3 sts and cut off the waste yarn, leaving another end.  You are just holding these sts to work into a buttonhole later with the 16" loop of working yarn you are leaving in the next step.  Hope this is clear.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Nov 10, 2013 12:50 PM

Thank you so much!  Once you explained it that way, it all was very clear. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Nov 10, 2013 1:52 PM

Okay, here's my first swatch. Now, I have to admit that I rarely knit swatches (most projects I knit don't need it). So, I'm not quite sure how to adjust my needle size now that my swatch measures: 3 1/2" x 4 3/4" ~ Is this close enough given the stretchiness of the end product?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Nov 10, 2013 7:10 PM

I love the texture of that yarn Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Nov 10, 2013 9:10 PM

Sunday progress.  Knitted up to the point of the 5 ribbed rows before starting the work on the bias.  I won't get to knit any until next weekend, but I'm happy with the 2" I was able to finish today.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 97
Chris Essler wrote
on Nov 11, 2013 1:13 PM

Hi - I'm Chris from Brooklyn.  I love these Knit Alongs...but I never saw the announcement for some reason.  Nor the vote.  But I am interested in joining in.  I wonder if some of the old regulars missed this as well.  Please put another announcement out, Kathleen.  Thanks!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 12, 2013 8:49 AM

Hi Bubbysmom. I'm more concerned about my stitch gauge. If you run on the small size, 3.5 rather than 4 inches might be alright. If you want to have the excact stitch gauge, then go up a needle size and knit it again. You can undo the top of your current swatch and knit a few garter stitches and knit with the larger size and check the gauge. If you think the springiness of the fabric will be forgiviing, then you can go with the 3.5 but it's all up to you. Hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Conchi R. wrote
on Nov 12, 2013 9:25 AM

Hello! Greetings from Barcelona (Spain). What a lovely jacket! I'm noob in knitting, I try to knit it. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 12, 2013 11:09 AM

Wow Libsknit! You're already working on it?!? That yarn is intriguing.

Page 2 of 16 (236 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS