Fall/Winter 2013 KAL: The Tara Jacket

This post has 235 Replies | 21 Followers rated by 4 users
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Nov 12, 2013 12:52 PM

Thanks!  It's the Berroco voyage in pool.  I know I have to start a little early since I am only able to knit on Sunday afternoons, so y'all will catch up to me quickly! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Nov 13, 2013 10:19 AM

Yes, thank you ~ this is very helpful. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Nov 13, 2013 10:23 AM

Thanks libsknits. It's super soft - I'm excited to get knitting.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dvann92 wrote
on Nov 13, 2013 3:40 PM

Hey guys I posted before but for some reason it didn't get put up. Anyways, my name is Darah (rhymes with Tara) and this will be my first KAL as well as my first big project. It took me forever to find the right needles to use since my yarn is worsted weight but I've just casted on! I've been knitting for several years (I'm 21) but I'm not very advanced so we'll see how this turns out! 

Happy knitting!

Darah

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 14, 2013 11:04 AM

Last night it took me quite a while to figure out the tubular cast on that doesn't require any waste yarn. I got so frustrated that I even tried to find videos online to visualize it to no avail. Through some fluke, I got it and now have the hang of it. So today, I'm going to start the cast on, knit some and see how far I get. Good luck in the knitting. Looking forward to seeing this jacket develop.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
on Nov 14, 2013 5:21 PM

Pretty color! I just got gauge on a 7 in the Berroco Voyage birch. Hope I can figure out the tubular cast on.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
on Nov 14, 2013 5:25 PM

Good luck! Which of the three cast ons do we use? I'm confused! Jeanie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 14, 2013 6:53 PM

In the magazine where they show several different tubular cast ons and you have a choice of using any of the three. I wanted to master the cast on that doesn't require any waste yarn and is the fastest to do once you get the hang of it. It took me several tries with some scrap yarn but I finally figured it out. The wording is hard to follow but with some trial and error, I got it. The photos in the magazine didn't help me at all until I got them right. I tried to find it on videos online including Knittingdaily TV but it wasn't there. I remembered that Kathleen said to make sure we use one of the three that's shown in the magazine so that's what I did.

Oh, and you won't have to pull out any waste yarn. I always like to reduce as many steps as possible. ;-)

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Nov 14, 2013 7:47 PM

Good evening fellow knitters Smile

I have another question.  I just finished the 5 repeats of the k1, p1 rib and completed row 1 of the bias k1, p1, rib.  Rows 2-4 you are supposed to work even in the pattern.  Because of some of the inc. and dec. it is no longer just k1p1k1p1 anymore.... Do I just keep doing k1p1 despite the inc. and decrease differences?  Or do I knit the inc and dec even if that throws off my k1p1 repeat? 

Thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
on Nov 14, 2013 7:50 PM

Thank you for replying. I will try that one also. Jeanie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 15, 2013 1:20 AM

I haven't gotten there yet. Just starting the the 5 repeats of the K1P1 rib before the bias work. I'll post when I get there but it won't be until tomorrow after work. This is addictive!!!  

But wait...now that I look at the photo, the bias cuts across the body at a bias so I would think the ribbing won't match the parallel knitting of the ribbing. So I think it's alright to keep going. But if you haven't continued yet, you might want (just in case) put in a life line in case you have to take it apart. Easier from a lifeline because then you can just frog it to the lifeline. Does that make sense? :O

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 15, 2013 1:35 AM

As I'm winding things down and getting ready for bed, I thought I'd post the link to Knittingdaily's glossary. As a newby of KAL's and following patterns from this magazine, there are things I don't know or do, like the M1R or M1L. I've done them but don't intuit them. The glossary is really useful .

http://www.knittingdaily.com/Glossary/

Diana

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Libsknits wrote
on Nov 15, 2013 8:30 AM

I used this youtube video to coach me through the M1R and M1L 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqvG3LoYiI

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,646
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 15, 2013 3:50 PM

Thanks for posting that, Diana! I should have included that in the first post.

Kathleen

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Nov 15, 2013 7:46 PM

Re: Wearablesheep - with gauge using a 7, are you then using: 5, 7, 9 needles throughout the pattern? I have been knitting for a couple years now, but never anything this complex. I really want to get it right. Thanks!

Page 3 of 16 (236 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS