Fall/Winter 2013 KAL: The Tara Jacket

This post has 235 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Dec 24, 2013 2:59 AM

WooHoo! This time around my stitch count is right-on and the chevron pattern looks great! By George I've finally got it! Thanks to all of you who figured this out and were instrumental in helping me get here!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 24, 2013 2:47 PM

Finally! I've sewn the shoulders together and the the collar knitted onto the body and just learned the tubular cast-off. Almost finished with lots of yarn ends hanging out all over the place. Finish the fronts, knit the sleeves onto the body (I do not like seams so will knit magic loop from top down) and then the zipper (I'm most afraid of that part). Whoohoo. There's a color glitch in the front but I am not taking anything apart from the body. Donedonedone with that frogging.

Happy Holidaze!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Dec 25, 2013 2:59 PM

Wow Diana, I'm impressed! Would love to see pictures. I'm just up to the 24 rows of bias rib ~ this time I feel totally confident about my progress. 

Happy holidays everyone!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 26, 2013 12:34 PM

I will post later....I can taste the finished product and it feels good. I had to frog my sleeve because I totally forgot to measure ease into the upper arm. Good thing I didn't get very far. This is why I love knitting top down, I can wear it as it grows and adjust when necessary. Plus sleeves are relatively fast and doesn't feel as bad to take it apart and start all over.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 26, 2013 2:03 PM

Redoing the right sleeve, working on the cap right now. After the sleeves are finished, I really need to give a good clean and wet block it to relax the stretch just a bit since the yarn I used for this sweater isn't really a match to the yarn recommended.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
on Dec 26, 2013 2:14 PM

I am out but still reading the posts. Yours is gorgeous and I love the color! What yarn is it?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 26, 2013 2:21 PM

It's from Cephalopod Yarns and it's called Gypsy Moth I believe.  Aran weight  that's merino, angora and tussah silk. I've had to tighten up my tension to make it fit (more or less) the gauge. I have callouses on my finger tips from this!  :O

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
on Dec 26, 2013 3:00 PM

I'm sorry! Thank you for responding.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 1:31 AM

Oh wow! It's gorgeous!! And the yarn choice is really pretty. Do you know what color zipper you'll use? I'm really excited to see how great you're doing. 

~ Christina

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 11:02 AM

I don't know yet. I don't think black will work ... perhaps a dark rose color since it seems to permeate the yarn as well. Though there's blue in there, it isn't the dominant color. What do you think?

Diana

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 11:56 AM

I've been worried about placement of the zipper and found a youtube video with Eunny and a new method of zipper placements. The article in the Interweave Knits Winter 2010 has more details. So if you have that magazine, kudos! I've ordered my copy and the video is helpful and I'll need both!

Diana

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 12:09 PM

And I just found another site about placing zippers from Knitpicks (my go to place for all things knitty) introduced to me by my son the musician. Who knew :P

http://tutorials.knitpicks.com/wptutorials/zippers/  

I couldn't get the link to work so I've typed in above. So copy and paste into your browser and it should get you there.

Diana

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 3:17 PM

Diana, i like the idea of a deep rose zipper, or maybe cream? I've ordered three zippers in: black, brown and green - ill let my daughter choose. We found some really neat handmade buttons for the collar - made from antlers. 

Before i get going on the increase for bust shaping, i have a question...am i meant to incorporate the increase stitch row i to row 9? After wrting out the pattern line-by-line with the increase row as a separate row, i got to thinking it's probably supposed to be combined like we did with the decreases. Just want to clarify before i get going. Although i did put in a lifeline at this point. Im so thrilled to have made it this far finally! :-)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 3:21 PM

Oh, and thank you! Thank you! For the helpful links for sewing in the zipper. I haven't sewn since I was in middle school! And that was AGES ago! Lol!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ddtheriault wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 3:31 PM

Christina:

I like the cream color, I think it would be a nice pop to the jacket, I think cream would work on yours as well though the brown would give it a good pop. Yes, incorporate the increase rounds on those bias rounds that has the M1's in them.  I can't remember which one but if it's 9 for you, the 9 it is.

Yup, it's been DECADES since I've sewn. I can do it but I don't want to (that's why I knit seamlessly).

Happy knitting!

Diana

Page 11 of 16 (236 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS