Not understanding an instruction in a lace pattern

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
bzbkym wrote
on Nov 1, 2013 5:16 PM

I am trying to learn to knit lace and I am currently working from a very old pattern (about the 1940s or 1950s).  I was doing fine until I came upon the following instruction and I just can't figure it out.  "K1, allow first O (yarn over) to slip off left-hand needle, work 9 sts in next O--to work 9 sts in 1, (k1, p1) 4 times; k1,--*k2, drop 1 O, work 9 sts in next O." 

Am I to understand that I am working those 9 stitches within the one yarn over?  what about the stitches in-between those yarn overs?  I am really confused.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Nov 2, 2013 7:52 AM

"Am I to understand that I am working those 9 stitches within the one yarn over?"

Yes

"What about the stitches in-between those yarn overs?"

Work them in pattern.  So, if the shawl is overall stockinette you would K or P depending on if you are the RS or WS.  Old patterns like this are often NOT explicit about such directions, as it was assumed that the ladies of the day knew what to do.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 689
salmonmac wrote
on Nov 3, 2013 7:58 AM

Here's a video that shows you how to work the increase into a single stitch (similar to increaseing into the yarn over) and it also shows a neater and esier to work this which is less bulky. It uses k1,yo, k1, yo etc instead of the k1,p1 repeats for the increases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h1hfKTsjbM

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS