yarn substitution and pattern conversion

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
chaundra80 wrote
on Nov 5, 2013 6:01 PM

I am wanting to knit the 'Charcoal Ribbed Cardigan' in size 48 for my grandfather. The problem I have is that I bought what is listed as a worsted weight yarn and my gauge is way off (of course). Pattern gauge is 16st and 22rows/4" and I get 22st and 29rows/4". Changing needles wont work even going up one size the gauge is still of and I dont like the resulting fabric.

I dont want to buy different yarn and I understand the whole conversion and mathematical calculations to alter the stitch counts. I am more concerned about making sure the the sleeve shaping turns out correct.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me be sure that I have calculated the shaping correctly?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Nov 5, 2013 6:33 PM

The sleeve appears to be cuff-up, then set-in...

The key is just lining up the shaping against your row gauge.  i.e. Figure out where the increases/decreases should be happening in the pattern as written (at what lengths?), and then do them at the same places (length measurements) on your sleeve.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
chaundra80 wrote
on Nov 5, 2013 11:42 PM

I was finishing up calculations and am finding that in order to get the right number of decreases/increases in the sleeve I am still doing them every 4 rows as stated in the pattern, wont that effect the slope of the sleeve? Will it make a difference? If I just put the increases or decreases only at the corresponding measurements wouldn't I have to do multiple increases/decreases in the same row?

I am probably over thinking this, but I want to make sure it turns out as nice as possible.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Nov 6, 2013 6:47 AM

Changes depend on how different your st:row is compared to the pattern's.  (i.e. a gauge issue).

In theory, your inc/dec should occur at the same length measurements/row counts as in the original pattern IF your row gauges are the same.  HOWEVER, you may need to compensate for your ST gauge.  For example, if the pattern called for 4 sts per inch and you are getting 5sts per inch, and you are to decrease 20 sts (5") over the length of the sleeve, then (assuming 2 dec per row, one on each end) the pattern would have you decrease 10 times, but you would have to decrease 12.5 times (25sts = 5") to get the same 5" of decrease.  Ergo, you need to calcuate how many inc/dec you need to do (12.5 here) to keep the same width, but spread them out evenly over the length of the sleeve, starting and ending at the length measurements where shaping started and ended in the pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
chaundra80 wrote
on Nov 7, 2013 2:06 PM

That certainly was a lot of math and calculations, but I think I have it all figured out. Here's hoping it all turns out. Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS