Changing color yarn n middle of row

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lilyraeh wrote
on Feb 3, 2014 7:14 PM

I am knitting a sweater and one half s one color and in the middle of the back on the same row you change colors of yarn... How do you change colors .... When I changed colors it left a hole....

Not Ranked
Posts 2
taffyknits wrote
on Feb 4, 2014 8:47 AM

When you join the new color, bring it underneath the old color when wrapping your needle. This catches the old color and will float it along. Think of it as twisting or twining them together. You could also knit that first stitch with the 2 yarns held together. Since the new color is the now dominant, the old color will fall to the back and won't be visible. Also, leave a long tail so if you still get a loose join, you can just fix it when weaving in your ends. 

Hope I helped!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LJ5 wrote
on Mar 29, 2014 6:32 PM

Gosh, this is just the thing that when I get to it, I can never remember if I should knot and splice, bring the new color from the bottom or the top.  I thought that in intarsia you should bring the new yarn over the old - or above, but I see your advice was to bring it from below.  I like the idea of double stranding it, because for sure then it is locked in with the old yarn.  I am not so concerned with holes as I am with my stitches coming loose, but I see your point!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Coops202 wrote
on Apr 4, 2014 10:03 AM

I'm exactly the same I'm always worried about getting holes. I thought you should bring the new yarn over the old as well but just tried it how taffyknits suggests and it worked for me

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS