entrelac scarf

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
PatK@2 wrote
on Mar 13, 2009 3:13 PM

I finally finished the entrelac scarf.  I used Noro silk garden.  My question is do I need to block it if I am wearing it as a scarf.

Thanks for your help.

pat

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 8:29 PM

Hi Pat...

Congrats on the finish!!! ....I'll bet it looks beautiful in that yarn!!!

As to your ???...there is really only one person who knows the answer..YOU.

Do you like it + are you happy w/ the way it looks now?  If the answer is "yes"...then wear it in good health!!!

If you look @ it + it seems to need a bit of "tweaking" or perhaps a bit of "straightening"....I'de block it. Not sure if you are familiar w/ blocking?  If not, perhaps you should read up on it so you get the best results w/o harming the georgeous scarf.

Take Care...Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 2
PatK@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2009 3:17 PM

Thanks I think it looks good, but never thought of how it looked before blocking as to a reason why to block.  Thanks for your help.

Pat

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
Marny wrote
on May 6, 2010 8:10 PM

Good for you to have finished this beautiful scarf!!

I've been doing a lot of frogging and don't know where I'm going wrong ... nor do I know where to post my own question about this.

After the first 1/2 triangle, and the next 16 rows, I end up with an extra stitch ...

What am I doing or not doing or seeing/not seeing???

I know ... not easy to see from where you are.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on May 7, 2010 12:59 AM

Hi Marny...

You're right...it is hard" to see from here"...but I'll try. It's been a little over a yr since I last posted on this thread. @ the time I didn't even have the patt...just looked @ the pic since the ??? was just about blocking vs not blocking.

Tonite I downloaded the patt...it is "The Basic Entrelac Scarf" by Lisa Shroyer fr Knitting Daily...right???   Anyway...I cast on + did the row of base triangles. Next comes "Tier 1"...I'm assuming this is where you're having trouble?  Before you start this Tier 1...do you have the right # of sts?...24?

When you finish the 1st side triangle...you should have 8 sts on the needle for this + plus 16 sts on the other needle waiting to do the next 2 full blocks. Then you pick up/ purl the 8 sts along the 2nd side of the 1st triangle. Now you have 16 sts on each needle. Then you work the 1st full block. The sts should still be in groups of 8/ block or triangle...a total of 16 sts on one needle + 8 sts still waiting on the other needle.  Can you tell me where the extra st is? If this is where you have an extra st...you must have either forgotten to work one of the P2togs or maybe you picked up an extra st (9 instead of 8 )  along the side of the 1st base triangle?  Or even I suppose that maybe an accidental yarn-over happened (it can happen to anyone!!!).

When I do entrelac...I find it helps to use a small dpn + pick up all (8) sts @ once...then purl them off that dpn. It helps me to be sure I got the correct # plus much easier to pick up sts (+ purl them off of) when using a much smaller needle. I was working the scarf w/ 5mm  + used a 2.25mm dpn for pick up.  Just a suggestion.  Another is that it's worth the few minutes to learn to knit backwards. It's saves a TON of time when doing entrelac + is a lot easier to do than it seems. Some time ago I made the Annetrelac Socks that were in IK. Hadn't done too much before I realized I'de go mad before I finished them if I had to keep turning endlessly!!!  Tonite it came right back when I started this. Quite awhile back someone here (Tephra?) posted the written directions for this. When I learned...I just kept turning my work back + forth until I saw what the actions looked like fr both sides...then it "clicked".

If this isn't where the problem is or it still doesn't help...post back w/ any more info you can think of...I'll try to help you figure this out.  I'll leave this on my needle till I hear back from you.

Take Care ... Andrea

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
Marny wrote
on May 14, 2010 5:44 PM

Omigosh!  Omigosh!  I finished the entrelac scarf!!!!!  Thank you for hanging in with me!!

Because of the yarn I used it's not really a scarf -- but will make a wonderful baby blanket after adding a border!!!

Entrelac turns out to be FUN to do ... and I'm proud to have learned it (after much frogging!) and grateful to Knitting Daily and all of you!!

Gentle as you go ...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on May 14, 2010 8:18 PM

Congratulations Marny !!!!

It's such a cool feeling to add a new skill to one's talents....+ if you also find it easy + fun...all the better!!!

Frogging's part of the learning curve!!!

In future you'll be quicker to try new stuff now too since this went so well.

I was soooo please when I made the "Annetrelac Socks" which was my 1st entrelac project.

Take Care .... Andrea

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS