Textured yarn for knitting/crocheting dish scrubbies

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
hillmp wrote
on Feb 24, 2014 2:13 PM

My mother has seen a dish "scrubby" made for a friend of hers by someone who has since passed.  The item was just a small knitted square but it was the "yarn" that is the puzzle.  My mom described the yarn as being plied cotton with an addition ply that is some kind of kinked plastic fiber that gives the the "scrubbie" its scrubbing texture.

Another person my mom has met in her travels has also used the yarn and said she got her supply from a local chain store, but when my mom went to the store and asked, they looked at her like she was from Mars and my mother can't remember who it was that told her to look there.  My mom also didn't ask for a Brand name.

One person said the yarn was called Scotch-Brite after the commercial scouring pads, but any web searches I do turn up nothing.

I did get a hit on a "scrubby" yarn from Bernat and Lily, but both have been discontinued and were something a bit different. These were more like a cotton ribbon.

Does anyone have an idea of what this yarn is called and where it can be purchased?  I would appreciate any help in tracking this down.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 694
salmonmac wrote
on Feb 26, 2014 5:13 AM

I don't know the yarn and a search didn't turn it up either. What I have seen is nylon netting or tulle used with cotton the knit or crochet scrubbies. Said to work very well and comes in great colors

http://www.knitsandbitsbylinda.com/nylon-netting.html

Not Ranked
Posts 7
hillmp wrote
on Feb 26, 2014 12:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but we don't want to use the netting option.  I've tried it and it didn't do what I wanted.  This special yarn may no longer exist, but I'm hoping it is still out there just hard to find.  With all the specialty yarns they have produced in the last few years, I was hoping that this was still among them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sohar wrote
on Aug 19, 2014 12:31 AM

One person said the yarn was called Scotch-Brite after the commercial scouring pads, but any web searches I do turn up nothing.

We offer free braindumps  complete collection of dumps. good luck

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
JanetM@12 wrote
on Aug 21, 2014 7:59 AM

Please don't think I'm advertising, but I saw a yarn to make scrubbing pads in the newest Mary Maxim catalog that I received a week ago.  You might check out their catalog or website.

Jan

Not Ranked
Posts 7
hillmp wrote
on Aug 21, 2014 12:31 PM

I checked it out.  It looks very interesting.  It is 100% cotton, so I'm wondering if the texture alone will give it a good "scrubbie" capability once crocheted or knitted into something.  Wish I could get a chance to check it out at a local store before I bought some.

Thanks for passing on the information! Smile

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Tehmina wrote
on Aug 22, 2014 5:50 AM

Hi!

just saw your post about textured yarn for scrubbers and did a search. I found this site http://wannabecrunchy.com/yarn/ which may be useful. 

Hope it helps.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS