The Blooming Cotton Scarf Contest

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
TerriK wrote
on Mar 20, 2009 5:21 PM

Hello,

I was so excited when I saw the contest announcement in my inbox this morning and immediately clicked on the contest page to read the rules etc.  You can't imagine my disappointment to find that the contest is only open to residents of the USA and Canada.  I really think in this era of globalisation it is time to include the rest of us in these sorts of things.  We foreigners buy your magazine after all.  Surely we should be rewarded too for the extra effort and cost we go to just to support your magazine?  There was a huge outcry in recent times when a well known US based knitting business refused to post internationally.  They received so much negative feedback and publicity around the world over it.  Please don't fall into the same category.  Please include ALL your loyal knitting followers and supporters.  Don't discriminate against those of us who just happen to reside in other parts of the world.

Thanks for listening.  I hope you change your policy on this,

Terri Keck, Toowoomba Australia.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
2paw wrote
on Mar 20, 2009 9:21 PM

Exactly what Terri said, times two!!

2paw, The Apple Isle, Australia. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JanL@3 wrote
on Mar 20, 2009 9:58 PM

Another Aussie thinking the same as Terri and 2paw.  The exchange rate makes purchases from USA quite expensive but we still do it.  Posting something to here could not be very much for the number of items likely.  

This feels like discrimination to me even if that wasn't intended.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bellsknits wrote
on Mar 21, 2009 4:03 AM

This is absolutely right, I think. Australians, and other readers outside the US, support and love Interweave every time we buy a magazine, send a subscription payment, download a pattern and pay for it. We love your magazines and the world is not so large anymore. Surely we can be allowed to enter contests? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 21, 2009 9:28 PM

Hi all...

Not sure if this is any "comfort" but reading this reminded me of another contest here a little over a year ago when the same issues came up. I agree with everything you're saying...but apparently there are legal issues...not Interweave's.

The only mention that I could find was in this old blog post. Scroll down to the heading: "Good News for Canada" to see what Interweave had to say @ the time.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2007/12/03/gallery_3A00_-the-ivy-league-vest.aspx

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 2
TerriK wrote
on Mar 22, 2009 6:01 PM

Thanks for the link Andrea.  That does explain it to some extent, however, I think it is something that needs to be changed and change never happens unless enough people push for change.  Maybe it is out of the hands of the people at KD, but they could advocate for change on our behalf.  Whatever the outcome, I think some further explanation needs to be made to the large number of international subscribers to KD and IKs.  It feels very lonely shut out here in the cold!  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
PatriciaC@2 wrote
on Mar 23, 2009 2:22 AM

That's very interesting. Although Canada was included, residents of Quebec can not enter? It makes no sense. Perhaps the laws are antiquated as amny laws are and the subject should be addressed and revisited. I agree with all the readers who subscribe from overseas, it feels discriminatory.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS