double layer socks with inside loopy stitch

This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rozee Smith Crying [:'(] wrote
on Apr 26, 2014 6:22 PM

Years ago (probably decades) I saw some socks in an Interweave magazine where the inside of the sock was knitted with a thick fleecy yarn in a loopy stitch with the outer layer of the sock knitted in normal yarn and stitch pattern.  There are commercial socks available like these but I love to knit my own socks. They are really good in a cold climate.  I cannot find this magazine amongst the hundreds that I have and now want to knit these socks.  Has anyone any idea what I am talking about or should I just adapt a reversible sock knitting pattern and make the inside with a loopy stitch. I do not mean thrumming the socks but actually knitting a loopy stitch on the inside with some lovely handspun. Thanks.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Apr 28, 2014 8:37 PM

All I can think of at the moment is Fleece-Lined Socks by Hannelore Krieger, which was in Socks! a special publication of Spin-Off. I don't think the book is currently available from us. but you might be able to find it. (My apologies if that's not the pattern you had in mind!)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rozee Smith wrote
on Apr 28, 2014 11:56 PM

Thanks, Anne, for your helpful reply.  I have found the fleece pattern where the fleece was carried along the inside but I am sure I saw a pattern knitted with two yarns and the one on the inside had a loopy stitch and the outer yarn knitted in stocking stitch.  Both were knitted at the same time.  Maybe I am dreaming it all and will have to work out a new method of knitting double layers.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
mmseeger wrote
on Apr 30, 2014 2:14 PM

Is it possible that you saw episode 811 of Knitting Daily on TV...it is about thrumming.....putting a roving inside of socks.   Perhaps this is close to what you are looking for.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/88670.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 1, 2014 10:14 PM

http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/33409.aspx  

Hi Rozee,  

I remembered having a discussion about "thrums" some time ago on another thread and found this pattern for you.  Although it is not socks, it is mittens but you can see the details from the large pic and then click on link that says "Go There" to prob. get more info if you want it.  You can do thrums on lots of articles.  Mostly done to keep hands warm and feet too I guess.  Wink  

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rozee Smith wrote
on May 2, 2014 6:51 PM

I saw these socks well before Knitting Daily - it was ages ago.  There are commercial woollen socks available here in Australia that are identical to what I saw and they are made with a soft yarn on the inside and not roving - I think what I will do is carry the inside yarn along as I knit and attempt to achieve the same as what I saw. Thanks for your help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 2, 2014 7:15 PM

Hi Rozee,  

Im sure you did.  For me KD was the only point of reference to the mental picture you described.  If you carry the yarn along the inside then that will give you another layer of warmth. 

But can you still do the "loops"?  

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rozee Smith wrote
on May 2, 2014 7:31 PM

Once I manage to make some socks that look presentable I will post them online.  I live in a cold part of Australia and of course wool is readily available to spin so I intend to try to make my socks better than what I can buy for cold weather.  You all may be waiting decades for me to manage this of course.  I will have to source some suitable fleece in my stash.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 2, 2014 7:43 PM

Ok Rozee - look forward to seeing the finished socks.  Today is 99 Degrees & we are trying to be COOL!Cool

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rozee Smith wrote
on May 3, 2014 12:24 AM

99 F sounds too hot for socks - luckily we rarely get above 25 C here in summer but sometimes it does reach 35 C but only usually for about an hour or so before it drops.  Being a bit OCD this sock construction is going to keep me occupied most of this winter and maybe the next.  Thank you everyone for you input.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 6, 2014 5:26 PM

Hi Rozee, 

Well it cooled down finally. Good to have a project to keep you busy.  Is it considered now winter time in your part of the globe? 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
bowie18 wrote
on Aug 2, 2014 10:03 AM

There's no picture, but here's a Ravelry link (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/double-knit-socks-2) for a pair from an Interweave publication in 1994. Could this be what you are looking for?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rozee Smith wrote
on Aug 2, 2014 7:10 PM

Thank you so much.  From the few words I found on Ravelry, it seems so familiar to what I read all those years ago (20 it seems).  I will dig out my old copy if I can find it.  It was just what I thought I saw.  Thank you again.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
bowie18 wrote
on Aug 2, 2014 11:00 PM

I'm glad I could help. This is the first time I've read a discussion on this forum. Now I feel so helpful. Big Smile Good luck with the socks. I'm sure they will be great!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 5, 2014 3:54 PM

HI!  

It's great you could help Rozee out.  I will go have a look as well.  

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS