The Official Kayleen Pullover Knit-Along Forum

This post has 749 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 11 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 15, 2014 5:37 PM

Kayleen Pullover by Cassie Castillo

Our current knit-along is Cassie Castillo's Kayleen Pullover from Interweave Knits Summer 2014.

There are so many things to like about Kayleen: the hem, sleeve detail, interesting cable work, and the transeasonality of the cotton/llama blend yarn. It's great to be able to wear a knitted garment as much as possible!

Kayleen is worked from the bottom up to the sleeves, and the the front and back are worked back and forth in rows. The back and sleeves are worked in stockinette and the front is worked in reverse stockinette after the hem is completed.

This project has a simple silhouette, but all of the details that Cassie has worked into the pattern make it really special.

Here are the details of the Kayleen Pullover:

Finished Size 32½ (34¾, 38, 40½, 43½, 46)" bust circumference. Pullover shown at left measures 32½", modeled with 3" of negative ease. 

Yarn Juniper Moon Farm Sabine (40% cot­ton, 30% royal llama, 30% merino wool; 218 yd [199 m]/3 1/2 oz [100 g]): #014 musca­dine, 3 (3, 4, 4, 4, 5) skeins. Yarn distributed by Knitting Fever.

Needles Body and sleeves—size 6 (4 mm): 24" circular (cir). Applied I‑cord-size 5 (3.75 mm): two double-pointed (dpn). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.

Notions Markers (m); cable needle (cn); stitch holders; tapestry needle.

Gauge 20 sts and 30 rnds = 4" in St st on larger needle.

Sungold
This pattern only goes up to a 46" bust, so I'm going to need to upsize it to a 52" or 53" bust. I'll share the math with you as I figure it out. This one will be pretty easy to resize. I'm a pear shape, so I'll cast on more stitches at the beginning and decrease quickly when I get to the waist.

I'm going to use Juniper Moon Farm Sabine, which is the yarn the designer used, but I'm going with a pretty golden yellow called Sungold.

Let's have a loose schedule on this one; set your own pace, but shoot for a finish date of August 1, 2014.

If you want a more specific schedule, let me know and I'll work one up!

I can't wait to get my yarn and get started!

Cheers,

A couple of helpful posts:

How a KAL works

How to post photos in the forum

Not Ranked
Posts 4
suefalcone wrote
on May 15, 2014 5:58 PM
I think I might have to play! I, too, will be upsizing darn it!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 15, 2014 6:03 PM

Sue! Yay—welcome aboard.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
toyelf wrote
on May 15, 2014 6:09 PM

Yay!  I just saw this in the new edition, can't wait to get started once I finish my current project.  I knew it would go in my queue anyway, now this is an incentive to get started sooner.  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
sbalstad wrote
on May 15, 2014 6:12 PM

What does a 3 inch negative ease mean?  If I have a 40 inch bust circumference, what size would I make?  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 15, 2014 6:19 PM

If you want the same look as the model, I would do the size 38 1/2. Ease is the amount of room, plus or minus, between your measurements and the size of the garment.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 15, 2014 6:33 PM

I'll give it a try like the pattern :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Juliesjjjjj wrote
on May 15, 2014 7:29 PM

I'm in. I've been looking for a project. What weight yarn should I use? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 15, 2014 7:30 PM

Any yarn that you like that gets 5 stitches per inch gauge.

Juliesjjjjj:

I'm in. I've been looking for a project. What weight yarn should I use? 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Marilyn@55 wrote
on May 15, 2014 8:01 PM

Love this pullover, will start as soon as the pattern arrives

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Amy1222 wrote
on May 15, 2014 8:10 PM

I just ordered my yarn so I guess I'm in! Kind of funny, I don't have the pattern...yet!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Marilyn@55 wrote
on May 15, 2014 8:12 PM

planning on this, never have done a  KAL, can't wait to start on this

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Mary Lynn@2 wrote
on May 15, 2014 8:42 PM

I really like the pattern and I think I have yarn in my stash for this, it'll look great with jeans, so count me in.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
acpurl wrote
on May 15, 2014 9:01 PM

Love this pullover and can't wait to participate in a KAL. Will be in a knitting store in Falmouth on Saturday for a seminar (and plan to get there early to do some shopping first! :-) ) The ease question is one I find a challenge; I tend to knit with the "better too big than too small" but that's not always the most flattering look. I hope others post the size they are knitting for their body measurement. I will.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jodonoghue87 wrote
on May 15, 2014 10:55 PM

Yarn is on the way!  This will be my first kal!!

Page 1 of 50 (750 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last » | RSS