The Official Kayleen Pullover Knit-Along Forum

This post has 819 Replies | 84 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Ctink64 wrote
on May 23, 2014 1:42 PM

My yarn just came in from Knit Picks yesterday.  I am using City Tweed DK weight in Kitten. Cant wait to start! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 69
Donna Close wrote
on May 23, 2014 2:18 PM

Em sweat,  

That is BEAUTIFUL,!  It is going to be a wonderful sweater!!  The mail came today and still no pattern in my magazine subscription!  I'm Soo frustrated!  But I'm going to finish my current project and then swatch.  By then you'll all be up to the pattern around the neck!  I'll keep reading your posts so maybe I won't have any troubles.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 3:31 PM

brunsell71:

I've never done a KAL before. How does it work? I have the magazine with the pattern in it. Is there a time line that you try to follow? 

Go to to the first post in the the topic, at the top of page 1, and you'll get the info you need.

I don't have a real schedule on this; just a finish date of about August 1.

Welcome to the group!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 3:36 PM

Donna Close:

That's a good idea!  Is the hem a picot hem?  If so I've found by missing that direction that it can be sewn up later.

It's much easier to sew up later if you DON'T use a provisional cast-on. It's hard to sew up live stitches. If you're going to sew it up later, I suggest you cast on normally.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 3:38 PM

Caroljmh:

Kathleen, I'm wondering....is reading through this blog the way to find when you post re: your progress/size adjustments?  Or is there a way to separate your posts?  Not to ignore others as many of the posts are helpful but often I don't have the time to read through it all.  Thanks.

I'm getting ready to put in some of my calculations now. I'm going to post them here so everyone can see them. If you click on my name at left, I think it'll take you to a list of my posts. That might be easier to navigate.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 3:39 PM

Donna Close:

Kayleen,

Am I right that the pattern is in the summer Interweave Knits magazine?  I signed up for the subscription but have not received the magazine yet and am worried that everyone will be so far along by the time I do that I'll lose motivation to try to get caught up.  I did one other KAL for two at a time socks and felt that I was always behind.  Don't want that feeling again.

Donna

Hi Donna. Contact customer service and they should be able to help you. There's a link at the top right corner of the Knitting Daily website.

Please let me know that you got the help you need.

Thanks,

Kathleen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 3:48 PM

Donna Close:

Still don't have my pattern.  If you can tell me how many to cast on /w crochet cast on, I could at least do that much.  I think my sister's size would be a 2X.

Donna

You'll need your sister's measurements to make the sweater fit her perfectly. Here are some general plus size guidelines:

Here's the math you'll need to do to get your numbers for cast-on, based on a gauge of 5 sts per inch:

5 X hip measurement = number of stitches to cast on.

So, if your sister has a 47" hip measurement, the calculation would be 5 X 47 = 235 stitches cast-on.

Hope this helps!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 4:03 PM

katinco:

Ok, I did a small practice swatch of the hem.  I used the provisional crochet cast on and then followed the instructions.  I did the turn and then picked up the stitches off the crochet cast on...and it worked on my 30 stitch practice swatch.  I wanted to see if I could do this before I cast on all those stitches.  It's "fiddley" and it will take a lot of time, but you're right.  I think it will look good.

I've knit this type of hem many times, and I love it. The hemming row goes faster and faster as you go along. It's easy! Don't be scared of it if you can help it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 4:17 PM

janeclaridge:

Hi everyone, I've knit my swatch and I am getting 6 stitches to the inch on 4mm needles, do I go up a needle size, or knit a size smaller (I'm concerned that it will be too loose with  larger needles) thank you Smile

Hi Jane! If you like how your swatch looks, you can certainly knit a size smaller if you think you will still like the top with less negative ease, or you can use your math skills and figure out how to knit the size you originally decided on!

I'm working my way through everyone's posts (I was out of the office yesterday, so I'm behind). When I finish, I'll post my math so far.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 4:22 PM

Okay—here's my math so far.My sweater, desired finished measurements:

Hips: 62
Waist: 57
Bust: 51

To calculate how many sts to cast on—

Sts per inch X inches wanted = number of stitches to cast on.

So I'll cast on 310 stitches to begin.

Then I need to decrease to 295 by the time I get to the waist, and to 255 by the time I get to the bust, before starting the armhole decreasing. Here's how to do that:

To calculate when to decrease—

1. Number of inches between starting and ending point (hem and waist) X row gauge = number of rows in that section.

2. Rows / by number of sts to decrease = when to work a decrease row (taking into account the number of sts decreased in the pattern's decrease row, 4 in this case).

Here's how I'm going to do my decreasing—

I'm making my sweater 18 inches from top of the hem to the beginning of the armhole shaping; 10 inches from hem to waist, and 8 inches from waist to armholes.

I'll knit 10 inches to the waist. So I need to get from 310 sts to 295 sts in 10 inches, which means I need to decrease 15 stitches. Let's make it divisible by 4 and say 16.

Since you lose 4 stitches in each decrease row, and I need to lose 16 stitches, I need to work the decrease row 4 times. So—

10" X 7.5 rows per inch = 75 rows from bottom of hem to waist

75 / 4 decrease rows = 18.75, so let's say I work a decrease row every 19 rows 2 times and then every 18 rows 2 times. That'll get me through 74 rows. Close enough!

I'll be to the waist at that point, and this is where things get exciting, because I need to lose 40 sts in 60 rows! Here's what I'll do—

I need to work the decrease row 10 times, because 4 decreases per decrease row X 10 = 40 sts.

So, 60 rows / 10 decrease rows = 6. Easy. I'll work the decrease row every 6 rows to get to my bust measurement of 51 inches, which is 255 stitches.

I'll start the decrease rows immediately after the hem and immediately after getting to the waist.

Ladies—please check my math for me! If you've had experience sizing patterns, I would really appreciate your help. I don't want to start anyone down the wrong road here.

The sleeve sizing is always difficult for me. I'll get to that later. Phew!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
GRITS O wrote
on May 23, 2014 4:59 PM

Hi,  I'm going to try this for the first time. My yarns is Southwick.

Mae

Not Ranked
Posts 12
on May 23, 2014 5:03 PM

Thank you so much for your hard work! Perfect timing, my yarn came yesterday. Better swatch up first though.

Sally

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
JoanA@4 wrote
on May 23, 2014 5:27 PM

Hi,

spent last 2 days getting my magazine and yarn. I have chosen the Sabine in the color Clementine, beautiful orange shade. Am worried about the sizing, I am a 42 inch bust and my hips measure exactly 44.5. If I make the size 40.5 is the hip area going to be to tight? 

This is my second knit along, really enjoyed the first

Joan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on May 23, 2014 5:32 PM

JoanA@4:

Am worried about the sizing, I am a 42 inch bust and my hips measure exactly 44.5. If I make the size 40.5 is the hip area going to be to tight? 

Hi Joan!

Maybe you should cast on enough stitches to give you another inch or two on the hips, and work the math that I posted earlier today to get down to the size 40 1/2 bust.

What do others think?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on May 23, 2014 5:56 PM

I agree Kathleen, choose the bust measurement that is most suitable, change the hem measurement as required which is easier to do than change for all the different shaping and pattern going on for the bodice are.

For the swatch, I'm making a sleeve - already found that the edge rolls so much with my all cotton yarn that the I-cord rolls as well. I'll try a garter edge and if that works, will do the same for the hem. I'm thinking I might start at the straight part below the pattern on the front, get all that done and try on, then work the body downwards.

Page 14 of 55 (820 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS