viking crochet socks

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Edward wrote
on May 20, 2009 9:55 AM

I re enact as a viking. Sadly it looks as though they didn't knit. The way they made socks is by sewing the wool together in someway that I can't quite work out. The alternative is to crotcet your socks. Not sure I believe them but it is the agreed method. I need help with designing a working sock in crotchet.I am a knitter. I can do the basics but that is all. So the sock will have to be simple. I can't se.e how to turn the heel. tDo I start at the top or toe? I need my socks by end of June for a big show in the Isle of Man. That is in the sea between England and Ireland.Pleases help.   Edward  The saga teller

Not Ranked
Posts 10
clocke wrote
on May 20, 2009 1:25 PM

If I remember correctly, vikings used naalbinding to make their socks and mittens and such.  It uses one needle (a small, blunt needle) and the result looks a bit like knitting.

There are a few good books with crocheted sock instructions in them.  I'd check your local Michaels or wherever you buy your yarn.  Also, if you do an internet search under crocheted socks, there are quite a few free patterns that can give you hints for your own socks.  CrochetPatternCentral.com is a good place as well.  I looked there and found this: http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/crochet/basic_crocheted_socks.php , which might help.

best,

-clocke

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Suzanne@6 wrote
on May 21, 2009 1:05 PM

Sue-Sue here for knitting a sock. I was able to do my first socks with the paper book called "Basic knitting" by Stackpole Books. The colored photos were really a big heip . I could count the sts on the needle. I'll look for crochet design.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
heathergem wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 10:36 PM

Well, I wrote a book about how to crochet socks, but I never heard of vikings who crochet.

What they did was "Naalbinding", I don´t know the english term for that (german here).

But I can ask a friend, who is reenactor (do you call that reenactor if someone tries to be authentic?) and she can do that naalbinding, which is an early form of crochet, but different to what we know as crochet today

Hugs, Baerbel from Germany

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
SheilaB@23 wrote
on Jan 26, 2010 9:00 PM

Hi

There is information of naalbinding at http://www.regia.org/naalbind.htm

Sheila

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS