unknown yardage

This post has 25 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 8, 2010 5:37 PM

Dear sel7

What a nice surprise to see your response to my inquiry.  I am so glad you have this information and taking the time to explain so clearly.  I am going to check it out right now.

molte bene! 

And , I hope you are having a wonderful day. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lotusblossom wrote
on Aug 1, 2010 12:56 AM

Hi - I just joined and wanted to let you know that I have alot of the Cravenella yarn in 4 oz. dyeable skeins.  I have both the wool/rayon and the wool/nylon - tho more of the wool/rayon.  I sell on Ebay under lotusblossom and will be listing more of this type of yarn in handpainted form very soon.  I have four listings up right now,all are a fairly solid red. 

Lotusblossom

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Aug 1, 2010 9:55 AM

Hi Lotusblossom,

I believe (and forgive me if I am wrong about this) that your post has gone against the Interweave Knits policy of advertising one's business affairs in this site.  You are only permitted to give your business address below your "signature" sign off.  I do not want you to get into trouble for advertising your business things.  You can not mention what you have for sale be it advise, or items.  The Interweave Knits web sites are not for businesses to advertise their wares on.  It is for the free enhancement of knitters everywhere.  The only ones allowed to sell on Interweave Knits are the Interweave Knits people themselves.

Wishing you the best, Zoe 

I took the liberty of pasting in the below quote from the COMMUNITY GUIDELINES as found at the bottom of the home page.

3.    Advertising and Solicitation
a.    You may not advertise or solicit for any products, services, etc. in the forums. Posts of this kind will be deleted.
b.    We encourage local shop owners, manufacturers, and other product and service providers to participate in the forum. Feel free to engage in positive discussion with your fellow crafters, but posting is NOT an acceptable means to advertise your product or service.
c.    You may include your company name and a link to your web site in your signature block, but no other form of promotion or advertising is allowed in a member’s signature block.
d.    Use of the private messaging system for advertising or any other kind of solicitation is prohibited.
e.    There are legitimate channels for advertising in the forum, on the site, and in our email newsletter. Please contact an Interweave sales representative for details.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sue crochet wrote
on Oct 18, 2010 6:28 AM

Hi, Leila, I also found skeins of Melrose yarn (8, Painted Berry print, 80% wool, 20% rayon).  I crochet mainly.  Did you ever find a good pattern for your yarn?

Thanks for any assistance.  Sue from Virginia.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Cecler wrote
on Sep 7, 2011 11:05 AM

I knitted with Melrose Cravenella for years, used to find good patterns in Vogue Knitting.  I still have some of the yarn and even a label, but in those days the ydge was not printed on the label.  However, I do know that it was used double for sweater knitting and I seem to recall that the yardage was generous in each skein.  An interesting note about Cravenella is that it was rumored to be the yarn that the St. John Knits line of clothing used in their very fine garments.  St. John's is still around (see Neimans or Nordstrom).  Then the yarn was no longer available and the rumor mill said that St. John's had bought it all or bought the Melrose company or some such and there went the cravenella.  It is a very good yarn, but does take a lot of yardage.  I believe that when doubled the knitting gauge was something like the average 5 sts per inch.  All I can recommend it trial and error and use it doubled.  Hope you have enought to ;make a lovely sweater.  It's worth it.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Cecler wrote
on Sep 7, 2011 11:05 AM

I knitted with Melrose Cravenella for years, used to find good patterns in Vogue Knitting.  I still have some of the yarn and even a label, but in those days the ydge was not printed on the label.  However, I do know that it was used double for sweater knitting and I seem to recall that the yardage was generous in each skein.  An interesting note about Cravenella is that it was rumored to be the yarn that the St. John Knits line of clothing used in their very fine garments.  St. John's is still around (see Neimans or Nordstrom).  Then the yarn was no longer available and the rumor mill said that St. John's had bought it all or bought the Melrose company or some such and there went the cravenella.  It is a very good yarn, but does take a lot of yardage.  I believe that when doubled the knitting gauge was something like the average 5 sts per inch.  All I can recommend it trial and error and use it doubled.  Hope you have enought to ;make a lovely sweater.  It's worth it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Aug 6, 2012 8:08 AM

Hi, I just saw your post.  I have some Melrose Designers Choice Silky Spun yarn.   Can you tell me if this yarn is machine washable?  Thanks, Joyce in Chicago

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Cecler wrote
on Aug 6, 2012 10:13 AM

MikeSaraChris:

Hi, I just saw your post.  I have some Melrose Designers Choice Silky Spun yarn.   Can you tell me if this yarn is machine washable?  Thanks, Joyce in Chicago

Not Ranked
Posts 3
greenone wrote
on May 7, 2013 1:25 PM

I've just come across this forum about Cravenella yarn.  I owned a company that made high-end St. John type knits for designer shops in Chicago. It makes wonderful skirts, tops, shawls, etc.   I sold the business, moved away and took some of the yarns with me.  While cleaning out a room today, I found a 2-pound cone and some bags of pre-wound black Cravenella yarn, plus a 2 lb cone of "orchid" Cravenella.  The orchid is a deep mauve-grey which, with the black, were our two best sellers.   All the yarns I have are stored perfectly to keep them in pristine condition.

If you or anyone you know is interested in any of this, please let me know.

Mayo

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ntbell9117 wrote
on Jan 13, 2014 1:58 PM

Hello Mayo,

If you still have any of your Cravenella for sale, please let me know wackydoo1929@yahoo.com  I am totally interested in purchasing!

Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
greenone wrote
on Apr 14, 2014 4:32 PM

Hello Leila,  I have a 10 oz cone of black Cravenella and 3 rolled balls equaling 1 lb 0.4 oz.  I used to own a yarn business and this has been stored perfectly.  I agree with the person who said she  made a great sweater and skirt.  I've seen several sets like that, each one beautiful.   Let me know if you're still interested.  

Thanks, Mayo

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS