unknown yardage

This post has 25 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 30, 2009 7:58 AM

My name is Leila & I'm a nurse, I am fairly new to knitting but not crochet.  I do subscribe to Interweave Crochet.  My mom found in her 'hidden stash' somewhere in her home, 5 skeins of a vey nice yarn.  She gave them to me, saying 'make something'.  But there's NO YARDS, or size number on the skeins. 

The labe os yellowed, & I googgled it & got very little info.  The brand is:  Melrose - Designer's Choice - Cravenella - fashion yarn.  It's made out of 70% wool & 30% rayon, 2 ply, 2ounces (60 grams); dye lot - 17010.01.  It was made by Melrose Yarn Co, in Brooklyn, NY. 

Before I embark on making something out of this, I want to make SURE I have enough yardage.  does anyone have information about this yarn????  Please help me, I has a nubby but silky feeling to it - probably because of the rayon.  I also sew.....

Thanx - Leila Marcial, RN - in New Jersey

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ShelleyH@3 wrote
on May 30, 2009 3:27 PM

You could check in at your Local Yarn Store and see if there is a yardage counter that you could use/rent.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Rebecca@3 wrote
on Jun 7, 2009 6:50 PM

I aquired some of this yarn, myself, yesterday.  I got curious as to the yardage and did the math.  Firstly, the grams indicated are not correct.  2 ounces is not 60 grams, so I used ounces to measure.  .25 ounces is roughly 26 yards, so a 2 ounce skein is in the neighborhood of 208 yards.  Hope this helps.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
on Jun 23, 2009 12:40 AM

Leila,

There is another method you can use to be absolutely sure, I saw this on a knitting TV show, you cut yourself a piece of cardboard that is 18 inches by 18 inches and take your yarn end to the edge of any  side and wrap it around this cardboard, each complete wrap around is one yard, since your cardboard is 18 x 18 there is no wrong side and there are 36 inches in a yard.

I hope this helps.

-Adriana, soon to move to Colorado.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
BellesBliss wrote
on Jul 5, 2009 6:42 AM

Hi Leila,

I'm also an RN, retired though. Melrose Cravenella is from the mid to late '80's, has 300 yards and is a fingering weight. It can be held as a single strand, doubled or held along with another yarn for a wonderful effect. Several years ago I knitted a beautiful shawl using one strand each of Cravenella and Bernat's Kabuki Silk, wore it to a conference and sold it (literally off my back!) for $150!!! Melrose Cravenella still garners premium prices on ebay. I have a 'vintage' "Valuable Knitting Information" book with detailed information on hundred's of yarns from the '80's!

Regards,

Patricia (in Alabama

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DarleneH@2 wrote
on Sep 24, 2009 3:48 PM

Hello,

I have that yarn, and it is 2 ply and the skeins are 2 oz. or 60 grams.  Hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DarleneH@2 wrote
on Sep 24, 2009 3:52 PM

Does anyone know what this yarn best makes? I would love to use it but I'm not sure as to what I should make out of it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
BettyGail wrote
on Dec 21, 2009 11:07 AM

Hi Leila, regarding the cravenella yarns, i have been trying to locate them for some time.  I have 2 or 3 skeins, but not enough for a project.  If you get any info, please let me know, as well.

BettyGail

Not Ranked
Posts 1
AnneB@57 wrote
on Jan 4, 2010 7:05 PM

I bought some off  a cone at Needle World, 4321 Woodman Ave. Sherman Oaks, CA.  I'd give them a call at 818-784-2442

they had a modular store sample that had been made by holding the fiber doubled.  Hope this helps a bit...

annebyrne1@aol.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DebraP@16 wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 8:41 PM

Hi Leila. My mom also gave me a bag of the same yarn,Cravennella. Do you know what type of things you can use this for? I'm thinking socks or shawls. I thought maybe you could help.

Thanks,Debi,Wales,Ma.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 10:38 PM

DarleneH@2:

Does anyone know what this yarn best makes? I would love to use it but I'm not sure as to what I should make out of it.

Hi All,

This type of yarn would best be suited for driving gloves, light socks, etc.  A fashion shawl perhaps.  The wool would make it warm.  But the ply and thickness of it would lend itself to small needles rather than the larger ones. 

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 6, 2010 5:39 PM

Dear BellesBliss

Would you write back here and let me know the 'Author' of your Valuable Knitting Information book?  I did a search on ebay for it and found 2 books available but they don't give info on the author.  Is yours a spiral bound copy?

Thank you for any time you spend in answering me, if you can do so. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kat7 Smile [:)] wrote
on Apr 18, 2010 11:45 PM

I use to be a knitting instructor.

Melrose yarn was Company had beautiful yarns. I am not sure when they went out of business but as I was going through my old yarns and patterns I ran across a few patterns that use Craynella.

The pictures of a couple that I found are at my etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/45080576/vintage-melrose-knitting-pattern-261-red

That pattern tells needle size and stitch gauge for craynella. (below)

Needle size (6 and 8 US)
Gauge: 5st = 1 in. 

You can actually use any pattern you like with the yarn as long as you make your own gauge. 

I actually made a whole outfit out of craynella. Skirt and Sweater. It is a wonderful durable yarn.

I happened to run across a big bin of Melrose Yarn but have yet to really inventory to see what is there. :) 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 1, 2010 8:26 PM

Kat7 -

Leila Marcial here.  I just happened to come upon the yarn again, & googled yardage.  I came upon your answer to my post so LONG ago.  Did you inventory your box yet?  I'd like to buy some more black.  I just came upon a beautiful crocheted sweater pattern that I'd like to use.  Am not sure if I have enough. 

Thanx, Leila Marcial

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sel7 wrote
on Jun 3, 2010 2:26 PM

ZassZ:

Dear BellesBliss

Would you write back here and let me know the 'Author' of your Valuable Knitting Information book?  I did a search on ebay for it and found 2 books available but they don't give info on the author.  Is yours a spiral bound copy?

Thank you for any time you spend in answering me, if you can do so. 

Dear ZassZ,

I have bought 2 editions of Valuable Knitting Information in the past and neither book lists an author or publisher.  However, I googled the title and got the name of a place where I could purchase the latest edition.  The name of the shop is Kirtland's Yarn Barn (in VA.) and their website is www.yarnbarn.com.  The Fall 2008 edition (50th edition)  contains "everything that has been printed in previous editions."  The Fall 2009 edition (51st edition) contains the "latest yarn interchange data " and is a supplement to the 50th edition.  The Fall 2008 issue is $42 and the Fall 2009 issue is $32.  These are not cheap but, in my opinion, are really worth the money.

sel7

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS