WTS?

This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Pinky@4 wrote
on Jun 24, 2009 11:18 AM

I came upon a pattern for a knit bear id say its fairly simple but i just dont understand this WTS: Sl 1, bring yarn to RS of work, return slipped st to LH needle, turn work, bring yarn to WS of work, sl 1 purlwise.  Can someone please dumb this down for me and give detailed instructions on what to do because i honestly cant see how this works.  THANK YOU!!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 260
Tephra wrote
on Jun 24, 2009 1:35 PM
That's describing how to do a "wrap and turn" style short row turning. Do exactly what it says to do, you'll end up with a stitch with a loop of yarn laying around the base at the end of your short row. Later you probably will pick up the wrap (if you are knitting in garter stitch you might not) and that should also be described it he pattern. This entry at NonaKnits might help.
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Pinky@4 wrote
on Jun 24, 2009 7:11 PM

thanks im still not really getting it but ill keep trying

Not Ranked
Posts 12
StnFlwr wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 3:02 PM

Not sure what part you don't understand.  Maybe you are trying too hard.  Sometimes you have to blindly follow each instruction without trying to understand how it all works.  I had that experience with sock heels.  The instructions were a little confusing with all the turning, RS, WS, etc.  I still don't see it, but it comes out right, which is the important thing.

Unless you can be more specific ...

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Pinky@4 wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 11:59 AM

ok its the foliage bear pattern from berroco heres what i dont get and this is just for the leg: row 5 k8, wts, p5, wts, k7-10 sts i honestly dont see how this works i just cant seem to get it ive looked up all i can about it online ive looked in knitting for dummies and other books that have knitting techniques and i just dont get it  maybe im doing something wrong or im too much of a begining knitter after 2 yrs but i just cant see it.  i dont know.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 260
Tephra wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 12:57 PM
That's a short row. You knit five, Wrap - Turn - Slip the next stitch (it's described in the pattern notes), purl 5, do the whole WrapTurnSlip bit again (so the right side is facing again), and knit 7 (which is to the end of the row). The "-10 sts" is saying you will have 10 stitches on the needle when you finish row 5.
Not Ranked
Posts 1
olmomsie wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 8:45 AM

Hello Hello Pinky@4.  I am just starting the same bear.  How did yours come out?  I was looking up WTS also.  I read all the reply's and figure I will blind my way through and see how the row turns out.  I have done short rows.  I hope to hear your bear is grand.  I am also using a fuzzy chenille, might not be a good choice for a new pattern. 

Happy Holidays.  Olmomsie

Not Ranked
Posts 3
NHNA wrote
on Apr 12, 2012 3:45 PM

Hi..

I am trying to make my teddy bear and i really can't understant the "WTS" technique (I don't speak very good the english language)

Can anyone upload photos of how to do this??Itwould be very helpfull..

thank you :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2012 4:07 PM

Hi Pinky, + All,

This is a video I love to refer to when I need to teach this method to my student.  It like to say  it serves as a "memory refresh" for when you are at home alone and need a good visual reminder.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4XXMsom1XA  If you read the short narrative under the video it will also help to understand the method.  The knitter has a fluidity to her technique, which one can develop with practice.  Don't give up.  You can master it.  and it does not matter if your stitch pattern isn't exactly the same as to number of stitches and kind.  Even so being, this video will help with understanding the technique

So hope you do get it.

P.S.  I also like there is no sound so it can be followed by anyone no matter the language you actually speak. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
NHNA wrote
on Apr 12, 2012 4:46 PM

This is the same?? because it said wrap RS..Is the same with WTS or is something deferent?? :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2012 5:03 PM

Look at the video and observe she is knitting on the RS right side of her work.  She turns to WS purlside. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
NHNA wrote
on Apr 15, 2012 2:05 PM

Thank you very much..I found this.. http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/short-rows I hope this the same.. :)

I try it and it is that...it is very cute..

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bikerrose wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 11:47 PM

Thank for the website, I'm working on the foliage bear too and my count never seems to take me back to the wrap, it's always one or two stitches short. Any ideas on how I could be off on my count? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 657
salmonmac wrote
on Aug 2, 2012 4:01 AM

In the example from the pattern: row 5 k8, wts, p5, wts, k7-10 sts, you would knit 5 and then wrap the next stitch, purl back 5 and wrap the following stitch. When you then knit 7-10, you'll knit past the first wrapped stitch. Often with wrap & turn you knit or purl to some number of sts before the last w&t or some number after the last w&t so that they won't stack up on each other but be offset. It contributes to the shape, too.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS