Knits Pattern latest issue: substitute for Road to China Light?

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jennifer@5 wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 7:03 AM

For some reason, love the hat in the latest knits but the yarn Road to China Light is like $19.00+ a skein at 6 or so skeins...well that becomes a $100 plus hat...of course the yarn is VERY nice (alpaca, cashmere, camel, and silk) but does anyone have a less expensive option to offer?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ALA wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 3:20 PM

I don't have a specific yarn to suggest, but I frequently substitute yarns. The trick is to find something that is not only the same weight, but also has a similar drape. I would suggest looking for a yarn that is in the same weight category and also has a high percentage of alpaca. You might want a bit of wool for elasticity, but I would think a pure alpaca or an alpaca/silk blend would drape very well.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SusanR@19 wrote
on May 2, 2012 2:34 PM

By any chance did you find a good substitution for the Road to China Light yarn?  Too pricey for my budget...

Thanks,

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on May 2, 2012 3:55 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Have you a moment to look here.  http://www.knittersreview.com/yarn.asp  A helpful site, you can search for info re different yarns by category of fiber, manufactuer, or gauge.  There you can click on Yarns, How Tos, Tools, Books, Events, Polls.  In the forum you can also search for posts on various yarns.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS