THE OFFICIAL CENTRAL PARK HOODIE KAL POST!

This post has 837 Replies | 17 Followers rated by 14 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Mrs.TeaPie wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 9:42 AM

Im  new to knitting and was wondering what the best kind of cast on was for this project.

I typically use the long tail.   It's the one I can remember how to do  :-).

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Sep 4, 2009 9:44 AM

Nadine, that looks great!  Love the color.  I'll have to buy some of that yarn - I'm doing the CPH in a cotton/wool blend b/c it's for someone who lives in California, where they don't have the nasty New England weather I'm used to. :)

Whoever posted about the issue with using short row shoulder shaping, thanks!  Does anyone have an opinion as to the best finishing stitch to use with this sweater, especially the shoulders?

Kat

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
Ladymark wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 12:14 PM

What great ideas everyone has about all the questions that come up. As a special ed. teacher, I'm reminded of how many different ways there are to learn  the same information- I may use some posts from this (minus names) to illustrate that point with some of my kids- would anyone care, if I leave the names out?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
BarbaraB wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 2:48 PM

Don't get too despondent, Carolyn, it's all a learning curve.  I used the only cast-on method I know, I don't know what it is called ex cept that it doesn't require a long tail.   I just make a loop in the end of the yarn (leaving enough to be able to sew in the end) and cast on a stitch slipping it onto the left hand needle.   Then I put the right hand needle into the space between stitches, then put the yarn around the right hand needle, pull the yarn through, looping the new stitch over to the left hand needle and then repeating the whole process.

Just remember when doing the cable charts that row 3 is the only row where you cross over the stitches.   All the other rows are similar, the knit rows are the same and the purl rows are the same.   After doing the first couple of rows, it is easy to see from then on which stitches should be purled and which should be knitted.

Once you get the hang of it, you will be flying along and you'll wonder why you worried in the first place.  It's all a matter of getting used to it, so go girl!

Barbara

Barbara B.

from the Land Down Under

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 3:07 PM

Barbara,

Thanks for the encouragement and for all of the help.  I did figure it out with your help and the help of a few other wonderful ladies here.  I also lined up the charts so that they are next to eachother in a row which helps me to better see what is to happen.  

I have now cast back on and am doing the long tail cast on.  I have about 3 inches done.  I think the one you are doing is a cable cast-on?  (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)  I also was wondering about whether or not you only cable on the 3rd row and you anticipated my questions beautifully.  Big Smile  I think that now, I will be flying through a bit better but not faster. 

Thank you Barbara, you're the best!

Kelleigh

p.s.  Kelleigh is my nickname and Carolyn is my birth name. Didn't mean to confuse anyone if they were.  I'll just type Kelleigh from now on.  Embarrassed

KELLEIGH~~

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 3:12 PM

Sue,

That is a great idea!  I will have to incorporate that into my re-write.  I did line up the charts so I can see them better, printed them landscape style and it helped.  You are a peach!  Thanks.

Kelleigh

KELLEIGH~~

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 3:16 PM

Ladymark,

I love that idea and the thought of  being a help to you and your students.  Feel free to use my questions if you'd like.

Kelleigh

KELLEIGH~~

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 3:27 PM

lorrainegd:

But before long you will be off and running!

From your "mouth" to Gods ears. 

Thank you Lorrainegd, I'm doing my best and learning from all of you, which is great!

Kelleigh~

KELLEIGH~~

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Razor wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 3:54 PM

Hello all!

I have gotten so much inspiration just sitting here reading everyone's posts! I am working on a cable scarf right now, but I would loooove to do the CPH! I'm paying for a wedding (9 days away, ack!) but hopefully when $$ gets a little looser I can buy some yarn and swatch. It's still nice weather here in central California but there are days when I would like to have something like this to stave off the chill from the air conditioner in the office! I've never knit anything with sleeves but this doesn't look too painful.  I'm getting braver about things like swatching and gauge and all of that so as Spongebob says, "I'm ready! I'm ready!"

I love it when I wear things I've knitted/crocheted and they say, "You MADE this??" This will knock everyone's socks off!  Big Smile  I know that if I run into any problems I can just ask all of you friendly folks!

--Melissa (aka Razor)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Sep 4, 2009 4:01 PM

Here's my CPH so far. Just a couple inches into the shoulders. The pink string is a lifeline in case I have to rip back for whatever reason. Going fairly smoothly so far. Hope it fits! 

I don't have a digital camera, so took this using my computer's built-in web camera. Hard to get the angle right!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 4:29 PM

WOW! (The way SpongeBob says it) 

If I ever get to do another CPH, I would love to do it in one piece.  (I know, Patience grasshopper.)

That is beautiful!

Kelleigh~

KELLEIGH~~

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 6:37 PM

I'm making progress!  Using Rowan Summer Tweed yarn.  Since the gauge is different (16 instead of 17), I worked pattern on Size 40, but want end result to be closer to 44.  It seems to be fine. 

I modified the back of hoodie, switching from cable into a ribbing, then extending that rib pattern across top of hoodie. Use short rows to shape hood, then did 3-needle bind off to join top edge...my wish is that I had used grafting maybe for a smoother seam?

In doing the front edge finishing, the pattern specified # of stitches, but did not address the ratio of pick-up stitches to rows...I'm sometimes quite befuddled with what that should be.  In doing, mine, I picked up too many stitches the first time, made the edge too ruffly.  So, check your stitch count in the ribbing, then compare that to the # of rows, and see if you can do a better finish job than me Huh?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Sep 4, 2009 6:47 PM

ArtfulSoul, that looks AMAZING! I am so excited to see one nearly complete. Cannot wait until I'm that far along. Would someone explain to me how to do the short row shaping for the hood? Did I miss that post? I love the idea but wouldn't know how or where to begin. I assume it's for same reason as using short rows in shaping the heel of a sock?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 120
Peggan wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 6:49 PM

Is it OK to whine here?  I have never had so much trouble with a pattern as trying to read these charts.  It is driving me crazy.   I am trying to do the Viking Variation as I like the idea of a wider cable.  I have done a very similar cable from a written out set of instructions (which I cannot find of course) and did not have any problems.  I even designed that sweater myself (using several cables and stitch patterns between the cables and it came out very well).     Anyway I thought I would have no problems with these in this variation pattern.   LOL

I think I have finally gotten the first row established after the regular non-variation ribbing.   I guess I will write out the lines of the charts in very big font with the lines of knitting separated as I described before.  

I use one of the little round row-counters that they sell to put on the knitting needle as you go. You can use two if you need to.  I always leave it on the number of the last row I finished.  I suppose you can get them at most yarn shops.  I got mine at some place like Michael's or Joanne's.

Peggy, S. California

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 120
Peggan wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 6:55 PM

Beautiful Artful.  I like your modifications.  It is hard to tell if you yarn is dark brown tweedy or charcoal gray tweedy.  Either way it really looks nice!  Thanks for the tip on picking up the the edging.  Doing that has always put me off for that very reason.  Measuring the ribbing in a good idea.

Peggy, S California

Page 28 of 56 (838 items) « First ...  < Previous  26 27 28 29 30  Next >  ... Last » | RSS