THE OFFICIAL CENTRAL PARK HOODIE KAL POST!

This post has 837 Replies | 17 Followers rated by 14 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
beefi8 wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 7:22 PM

Hello.  I am a beginner knitter and am nervous about taking on such a beautiful sweater.  I'm wondering if someone could recommend a good beginner sweater then I could maybe tackle this one.  I've only knitted squares.  I don't know anything about arm holes or anything complicated.  Sure love it though and hope to make it in the future. Tammie

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Sep 4, 2009 7:46 PM

Come on in, Tammie, the water's fine!Smile

You can DO THIS. You've only knitted squares, you say? Then start with the sweater's back piece. It's just a rectangle with a couple of cables thrown in. You can do that! Don't let crazy things like "armholes" and "shoulder shaping" scare you off. You've bound off your knitting before, right? That's all armholes and "shaping" are, binding off at the left and right edges of your rectangle to curve the edges. After you've done the back, the left and right front pieces won't seem so intimidating. And the arms are just long rectangles. Nothing complicated there, right? Take it one piece at a time.

That's the great thing about a KAL - we've got all these experienced knitters here to answer our questions as we go. This is only my 3rd sweater. And it's the first sweater I've done that doesn't have a raglan sleeve or isn't knit side-to-side. I've never had to deal with shoulder seams or sewing the arms to the garment before. I'd never heard of short row shaping for shoulders, but love the idea and can't wait to try it, knowing my fellow KAL-ers are here when I get confused. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
CarolB@60 wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 8:02 PM

A couple of more inches and I'll be done with the back!  It's a little grayer than seen in the picture. DD wanted a neutral color and she's getting it LOL

Carol B

Not Ranked
Posts 7
ilgirasole wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 8:18 PM

Dear All -

I'm sorry to hear several of you have had your knitting needles confiscated.  I fly with my knitting all the time (even to and from Europe) and have never had a problem (I always take bamboo).  According to the TSA website, knitting needles are allowed.   Here's the site: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm    

I plan on taking a printout of this the next time I fly, in case someone tries to take my needles away!

Jenn

Not Ranked
Posts 11
happynifer wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 8:41 PM

while the knitting is not that complicated, the construction of all the pieces can be intimidating.

i started by taking a class at my local yarn shop where we knit a top down one piece simple sweater.  really helped to knit something in one piece rather than having to worry about kntting and blocking each piece and seaming them together....

jenna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
IamNadine wrote
on Sep 4, 2009 10:12 PM

Your sweater is gorgeous, Artful Soul.. I love the color and seeing it with the hood & middle front detail is great, because the pattern doesn't show that much detail.

I have been interested in the stories about kniiting needles being confiscated. I have made around 10 round trip flights since 2006, going from San Francisco to London, Charleston, Orlando, Seattle two times, Los Angeles three times, St. Paul two times, Portland, and always have a knitting project or two for my flight--I've never even been questioned about my knitting needles. That would be very hard to lose needles & have to remove them from your knitting. Yikes.

Is there formula for doing short rows? I have done them with specific pattern directions, but not when there are no directions for short rows.

Thanks for any info anyone has.

Nadine

Nadine

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
on Sep 5, 2009 8:56 AM

Love your sweater Carol.  The color is beautiful.  i am trying to post a picture of my back but not sure how to do it.  I am going to give it a try.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
on Sep 5, 2009 8:58 AM

I made mine from Peruvian Highland Dongegal yarn and it is a Teal.  Not good at taking pictures.

Phyllis

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MamaMarie3 wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 9:54 AM

Phyllis,

Your sweater is looking gorgeous! I am not part of the KAL at this time but love reading and listening to all of you. A lot of great information!! May I ask, is this a free pattern for those who want to join the KAL or if not; where do i find the pattern? Keep up the great stitching!

MamaMarie3

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
on Sep 5, 2009 10:45 AM

This is not a free pattern.  I downloaded it from the internet but don't remember just where.  If you look on page 4 of Posts there is a website, also it is in an issue of Knitscene but not sure which one.  Maybe someone else can direct you to the pattern better than I can.  Never too late to geat started and it is so fun.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 51
lorrainegd wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 12:26 PM

The pattern for the CPH was first published in 'Knitscene' Fall 2006 issue. The original pattern did not include the larger sizing. You can purchase the pattern now in the interweave store, including the larger sizes for $5.50 at http://shop.knittingdaily.com/Knitting/Patterns/Central-Park-Hoodie.html   This is a download purchase.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 120
Peggan wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 5:06 PM

Beautiful yarns and knitting Phyllis and Carol B.  

I am FINALLY really on my way with this sweater.    I gave up on the Viking variation, though I love the look of it still.  I just could not get the charts right, especially with a transition for B and no transition for A and C and adding stitches in the middle cable.   I do not usually have so much trouble and have done some complicated patterned projects, but finally decided to just do the regular cable as on the original pattern.  No more ripping out!    I have now done two sets of the cable crossings!  

If it were not for this knit-along I would have abandoned this project in frustration!  Onward!  

Peggy, less hot and smokey than yesterday in S. California 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
zoomkitties wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 5:19 PM

Everyone's sweaters are looking beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures. 
I am starting my sleeves and will be knitting them at the same time. I am also going to attempt to do the cables without the needle. I'm excited to try this new technique, I'll keep you posted as to how it works for me.
For all the newbies out there. I've only been knitting about a year and this is my first sweater and only the second project with cables. It isn't difficult, so stick with it. You'll be flying in no time.

jena
Northern Colorado

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
VioletD wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 7:20 PM

Hi All!

Everyone's sweater looks great.  All so different because of the great color choices.  I just finished the right front so I am ready to piece it together and get started on the hood cause all my pieces are done.  I will block tomorrow...I hope...and finally take a picture of it.

Here's a question...the pattern doesn't call for the cables to go up the center of the hood.  I think I am going to put them in.  Is anyone else planning on doing this or are most people knitting the hood as in the directions...just stockinette stitch? 

Keep knitting everyone...I'd love to finish mine by next weekend and then maybe start on CPH #2!!

Violet

Connecticut

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 8:14 PM

Hi Violet,

I was thinking that I will continue the cable up the hood.  I think it would look more "together" that way and I like the way it looks anyway.  Congrats of having all of the pieces finished.  Can't wait to see it.  All of them so far look fantastic!!

Kelleigh~

KELLEIGH~~

Page 29 of 56 (838 items) « First ...  < Previous  27 28 29 30 31  Next >  ... Last » | RSS