Hi there fellow knitters

This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 98
mandyangela wrote
on Oct 12, 2009 11:03 AM

Hi Ladies!!!

Hi Grecia Acky

I'm not sure how the thing works, but I can't see anything!  I've looked in the 'conversations' thing just below the greeting and 'edit profile' thing in the top-right of the screeen but the only thing there is a message I sent you when I first replied to this thread at the beginning of September!  I did get an automated e-mail this afternoon telling me there had been a new post to this thread, but that system hasn't been working lately.  When I replied to your new post, I requested e-mail updates to any new post but it didn't happen! 

I only got back into this post because I saw the name 'monkeysocks' on the homepage's list of recent thread replies and just had to have a look!!  I noticed there had been several posts from you, Linda and Deborah/Monkeysocks. 

Anyway, we are here now, and I've managed to find where this post is stored - it is under the 'Community Centre' choice in the drop-down list of the 'Forum' tab!   I'd been looking in 'General Knitting Discussion', I think.

Hi Deborah Monkeysocks

I can't stop laughing every time I type or read that!   It reminds me of when I was little and we used to put our hands into spare socks and play 'puppets' = we drew faces on them and made up all sorts of silly plays to entertain our parents!  Is Brewster a feathered friend?

Hi Zoe

The snow sounds like fun!  We don't get a lot of snow where I live, and when it does snow, it never lasts for very long as the salty sea air tends to melt it fairly quickly.  Like you, I find that big knitting projects make my hands and shoulders ache, so anything in the way of heavier blankets and cold-weather jackets & sweaters get done in crochet as it can rest in my lap while I work.  I do some blankets in knitting, but these are the cobweb and lace-weight ones which don't weigh much, only a few ounces at most which I can manage.

Well, bye for now everyone - it is 6pm and my stomach is yelling for its evening meal!

Mandy

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
monkeysocks wrote
on Oct 12, 2009 12:36 PM

Hi Mandy!

Yes, Brewster is my rooster - my hens' main squeeze. He gets locked up at night to keep him out of trouble. If I don't let him out early, he stages a very vocal protest.

Deborah

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Seedsally wrote
on Oct 12, 2009 8:01 PM

Hi Monkeysocks  and everyone,

I have read this entire thread and am so glad I found it.  You all are a bunch of kindred spirits I think!  I love the sound of your lives.  I live here in the bootheel of Missouri, USA and as they say around here if you don't like the weather just stick around a while and it will change.  I am right beside the mighty Mississippi River. 

We are farmers who live in a small town.  I have 4 cats, two dogs, 2 grown daughters, 8 grandchildren, and a husband of 42 years. (Note the order I just typed that!  Ha ha).  I love anything to do with yarn.  I presently am interested in spinning my own, but it's slow on a drop spindle that wobbles.  I am planning on purchasing a wheel but am not sure what kind to get.  I just finished a pair of chunky halloween orange socks and they turned out great. 

Glad to have this site,

Sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
monkeysocks wrote
on Oct 12, 2009 11:42 PM

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to this thread! You sound like a kindred spirit yourself.

My husband's father's family comes from your neck of the woods. His father was born in Commerce, and his father's mother is buried in Charleston. I understand it is quite pretty. By the way, I've seen some of your weather on the news recently. I hope you and yours have managed to elude the heaviest of the rains.

I, too, am interested in spinning.  I bought an Ashford spinning wheel last year at a garage sale for $6, but it's missing some pretty important pieces, and I haven't been able to get it fixed yet.  A number of people raise alpacas around us, and they seem to thrive, but our Jerseys do not like to share their pasture with foreign life forms (as we learned when the neighbor's really ugly goat decided to try to move in). I've been toying with the idea of buying a pair of Angora rabbits, but it's always risky raising animals that are low on the food chain in north Texas. We are extremely varmint-rich, especially since the towns are so small (ours has a population just under 670), and the spaces in-between the towns are filled with either farms or ranches raising beef cattle. There's always the dog. He has lots of hair, and is willing to volunteer it.

We live beside the unmighty North Sulphur River which, because it has rained for the last three weeks, is actually full from bank to bank. This is the first time this has happened since we moved here five years ago. The section closest to us is a fossil park. After a big rain, everybody heads down to the river to find shark teeth and arrowheads. Credit where credit's due, once you struggle down the 24 foot embankment to get down to the next geological layer, it's fun looking for fossils. Of course, if you're as slow as me, by the time you climb back up, you are one. There are steps, but they average 3' tall (I am 5' 2") and there are no hand rails.

Looking forward to hearing from you and seeing you around the forums.

Best regards,

Monkeysocks

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Oct 13, 2009 3:11 AM

Hi Grecia

It's lovely to hear from you. I enjoy knitting with any wool but mostly the fancy types, anything soft and fluffy like angora. I have a gorgeous six year old neice and I love knitting for her. I am the same as you with crocheting, can't seem to follow a pattern but I wish I could as there are some lovely patterns out there. My Yorkies will be eleven at christmas, two of them have had mammory lumps removed recently, luckily they were benign, but it is such a worry isn't it, they are part of the family. My Son is 30, still at home and has a lovely girlfriend, I can't wait to have grandchildren.

Hope to hear from you soon

Kind regards Lyn

(my name is Linda but for some reason I have always been called Lyn by my family & friends)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Oct 13, 2009 3:21 AM

Hi Mandy,

thanks for your reply. I will subscribe to the knitting magazine, I agree the ones we have arn't much good. You are lucky to have a knitting group to go to we havn't got anything like that in this area. I would love to be able to crochet but I can't seem to follow a pattern. I can manage the basic stitches but if I try to make anything I get lost. You must have a lot of patience to work with such fine ply wool. Glad to have found this site and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards Linda (Lyn)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Oct 13, 2009 3:31 AM

Hi Sharon

I love the sound of your life, I can't think of anything better than living on a farm and being surrounded by animals (except knitting perhaps).

I have one Son who is thirty and I can't wait to have a grandchild, lucky you having 8.

I live in West London, been married for 37 years and have 3 Yorkshire Terriers.

Glad I found this site too.

Kind regards Linda (Lyn)

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Acky wrote
on Oct 13, 2009 4:33 AM

Hi Mandy

I am so pleased that you have found my emails. I am still confused by this site, first time on a forum of any sorts. Do you live near Throckly??? I am sorry to hear you have a lot of health problems too! It is awful. Does the weather effect you badly??  I have a stop and start style of knitting. Takes longer but worth it in the end.

Back to some lady bird slippers for the kids.

Bye for now

Acky Grecia

xxx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 98
mandyangela wrote
on Oct 13, 2009 3:42 PM

Hello Ladies!

Welcome to Sharon, our newest Knit Friend!

I have been playing with a new toy - the 'add post as favourite' option on the side  of the entries on this thread.  I decided to play high-tech super-clever wizard and just press it to see what happened.  When you sign in and click on your ''hello'' thing at the top of the screen, this post is there in the list of your favourites and when you click on it, you are taken to the last post on this thread.  Ooh I like new toys!

Grecia, you asked if I lived near Throckley.  I'm not that close to it, but is it within easy reach using public transport, which I do as I don't drive.  I do have a chauffeur/gardener/odd job man/body guard a.k.a. Daddy !!, but he's not always available.  Like you, I have a stop & rest approach to my knitting & crochet.

I live in the coastal town of South Shields, which is right at the mouth of the River Tyne - I live with the river 10 minutes away in one direction, and the seaside about 10 minutes in another.  There are two beaches, two parks and a funfair.   Living where I do there is not a huge amount of countryside and wildlife.  However, we do have a lot of seabirds.  Herring gulls are a permanent feature - they are out at sea feeding most of the time, but when they are breeding they use our houses & the town centre rooftops as 'nests'.  The gulls follow the fishing boats coming back with their catch and I am on the flight path from the sea to the fish quay - that can be noisy, especially at 4-5 am!!  

We also have a few urban birds in the parks, mainly starlings, crows, magpies, pigeons and blackbirds.  This year we had some greenfinches.  I have a family of blackbirds each year, who feed on the pears I put out for them.  I can imitate some of their cheeps and they call to me when they come to feed, which is really lovely.  Often when I am sitting outside my house, the boy blackbird will come and sit on my wall and cheep with me, something that is just so precious and special.  

Anyway, hope everyone is OK.  See you all soon.

Bye

Mandy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Oct 13, 2009 8:24 PM

Hey there Mandy,

I have never tried the cobweb or lace-weight knits.  Are they ok and how do I start one of these projects?  I frankly, dont know how to even go about finding one.  Any suggestions for someone who needs an easy pattern project?  I moved up here from southwestern Ontario and have only been able to find my knitting needles.  My crochet hooks are on sabatical, I think.  What yarn would I use?  (I think you must think that I have really lost touch with my inner knitter!)Huh?

Bedtime for me.  My husband is on home hemodialysis and the supplies arrive very early tomorrow morning!  I need the destress of knitting or crochetting.

Zoe

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 98
mandyangela wrote
on Oct 15, 2009 2:11 AM

Hi Zoe

Hope your husband is OK.

I do find knitting & crochet very relaxing.  After a while, I've usually forgotten what was bothering me so much.  Sometimes I find the stitching helps me think a little more clearly about something.

If you've never knitted lace before, you might want to start quite simply then just move along once you get used to it.  You could start with #3 yarn, then reduce down in stages to as fine as you can manage.  As for patterns, if you have a book with a stitch library in it, you could make some sample squares of the lace patterns in it just to get used to lace. 

Once you find you are comfortable with using finer yarn, you could try a simple project using one of the lace stitches you've tried.  For example, if there is a simple pattern repeated over only a few rows, you could make a small scarf.  I have a favourite pattern repeated over only two rows - one plain knit row and one pattern row.  I cast on a multiple of 10 plus 5 to approximately the width I want and just knit away.

This site does have some lace patterns in the 'free' choices, but I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner.  If you try making a few samples and find you like making lace, I could help you with some pattern sources.

Anyway, hi (and bye!) to everyone, see you all soon!

Regards

Mandy

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Acky wrote
on Oct 15, 2009 11:56 AM

Hello there Mandy

Thank you for your lovely email. No, I really enjoyed reading your emails and hearding from you so, please keep them coming, longer the better.  Why, I asked if you lived near Throckley is that school friend of mine. (Gosh! that is going back some years) live in Throckley and some times it can turn out to be a small world. I think the funniest and strange thing we have gone on holiday and bumped in old friends that have not seen for years.. Anyhow, it sound wonderful where you live and so lucky too, it is enjoyable watching the wildlife. We have some foxes that come around and a big badge at night time. There are some deers, only see them, very early in the morning. Usually each winter we have a flock of Geese that are over in one field in the morning and then fly over another field in the evening.  Like you it is nice to be near to the town by and see the coast too. Lucky enough to be born in a seaside town. Have you ever been to Hampshire?? I love the sea and the water. It is nice even on cold days to go and sit in the car and just look out at the Ocean. We moved from Portsmouth to Widley/ Waterlooville and have a bungalow that backs on to farm lands and woods.The chap next door keeps pigeons, mmmmm they are nice -- but not when they fly over my clean washing on the line. Ha ha!

I have to look in on my Mum, as she is housebound and will be 80 next year. There has been upsetting events. Someone has been taking her expensive china, 4 pieces in all. She did not say anything, because she felt foolish about losing stuff. Mum was so upset about the last piece that she told us what has been happening. We called the 101 police and they said, Yes sadly they are testing your Mum to see if she notices or make a fuss and then they go on to taking jewelery and cash. There are only 4 people that pop in. And some that go in to do the odd job etc.  We are in the process of marking the china and expensive items and taken photographs of it all. It has really shocked us, how low can people get. Going in to my Mum's home and all smiles and then do that. Hope the items they have taken, break into little bits.

Anyhow, back to nicer things. Do you subscribe to the mags from this site? Is it difficult to set if you do? Because being in the UK. Do you subscribe to any other knitting mags? Do you go to any knitting clubs in your area? There is a knitting club that meets - one Monday every month but it is for machine knitting. Someone give me a superdooer knitting machine and I have not figured it out. Ha ha! Have you tried machine knitting?

How is the shawl coming along? I am just finishing off leg warmer. Ha ha! I am going to knit a pair for myself ah ah with getting older - starting to feel the colder weather. Found a lovely ladybird and butterfly cushions to knit for the Grand children.

Right I have gone on so hope to hear from you and how your knitting project is going?

OH! do you use Kemps wool shop?

Kind regards

Grecia

xxx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 98
mandyangela wrote
on Oct 18, 2009 1:41 PM

Hi Grecia

I've just had a long lazy weekend which was absolutely great!  I did make myself a pair of fingerless mittens.  I used some spare burnt orange wool, which looks better than I thought it would.  I originally bought it to make a sweater, but didn't like how it was turing out.  I'm planning a crochet scarf next and a shoulder wrap witht he remainder.  The burnt orange will provide a splash of warm colour!

I was horrified by what has happened to your Mum - how despicable some people are.  However, that is just how some criminals do their stuff - little and often.  Please let your Mum know we are thinking of her and hope she's OK.

Yes, I'v subscribed to both the Interweave Knits and the Crochet magazine.  I ordered from this site usig my credit card.  What happens is when the magazines are printed, a supply is shipped to the UK, where they are posted using Royal Mail.  I got the Fall '09 Crochet magazine just over a week ago, and expect the Fall '09 Knitting magazine is on its way.

As for knitting groups, you could ask at your local library, as they often have listings of clubs/groups in the area, especially ones which use council/civic premises to meet.  Hope you find something!

bye for now

Mandy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Oct 18, 2009 8:48 PM

Hi there Grecia,

So sorry about your mother---I had a similar thing happen to my folks.  Only these weren't discovered until my brother had gone through my father's mechanical tools and reported what was all missing.  My father had suffered a head injury and people were coming and permanently "borrowing" his things without asking.  Now we watch closely and pay attention to his things.  My brother reported a huge sum of moneys lost in the theft of his tools.  Enough of that.  Knitting and yarn works!

I know in many areas the various church groups have craft and needle work groups.  In my local church, it depends on what is "all the rage" at the time---prayer quilts, knitting bonanzas, crochet projects, cross stitching, etc. 

My Mother's name is Grace.  Very pretty are "grace" names like yours.

Hello Mandy,

Yes I agree about the lace and cobweb knitting.  I have looked at many web sites dealing with lace knits and they all look very complicated!  I am off to the library this week to find knitting books and practice the lace in sample "squares".  Perhaps I will keep all my samples and stitch them together for a little lapghan.  I have lots of size 3 yarns to practice in plenty of colors.  Thanks for getting this started for me.

I am on the knitting band wagon to make scarves and hats for my son and his girlfriend.  I want to do the Islandic patterns since they are both of Icelandic descent.  I have been looking for Icelandic knitted inserts (insoles) but have been unable to find a pattern for them.  Anyone know of where I can get one?

Keep knitting, Zoe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
dizzysue wrote
on Oct 20, 2009 8:03 AM

Hi Acky. I just finished knitting a jumper for my husband.  He is a crown green bowler and put in a request for a warm jumper in the palest of creams,  how could I refuse when he came home after an evening match frozen to bits ( this was back in early summer) . Anyway I had to wing it from an existing jumper but on thinner yarn. It took a few goes but I have finally done it, just in time for NEXT season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS