good will yarn trade

This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 15, 2009 8:06 PM

I am seriously thinking about starting a yarn swap. 

As I was reading about how many of us seem to have yarns we no longer love or want to use up, it occurred to me the sayiing that:  "Someone's  trash is someone elses treasure".  So I am going to start a YARN SWAP which could be held at a public, pre-designated time and place and give it a trial run to see how well it goes.  People simply bring some yarn and trade it.  No charge.  Like a garage sale but with no sale.  Strictly trading out of the goodness of our hearts.  Person  Anything left , I am thinking of donating to the real Good Will Store, where it could come in contact with someone who will give these yarns a good home.    

I don't know if this is a really good idea or not, but maybe it's worth a try if it can provide yarns for people who would not otherwise have the chance to obtain them!   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sarahcolin1 wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 11:39 PM

I am sure a lot of people will benefit from the YARN SWAP. If you need a place for the trade you know where to click. Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 15, 2010 8:35 AM

Good idea.  Where are you located?  Another idea would be to give the leftovers to a retirement home.  Lots of seniors like to knit or crochet and might not have the funds to purchase yarn.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 31
JoelleKnits wrote
on Jan 15, 2010 2:53 PM

I "inherited" some not so fabulous yarn and had the same problem.  I posted on a couple local Ravelry groups' forums and my yarn was picked up and delivered to an unemployed crocheter by her friend.  Everyone was happy!  Hopefully Ravelry can work for you, too!

www.ravelry.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 18, 2010 4:13 PM

I am glad to be getting a few responses to this post.  Welcome to my Little Neighborhood Yarn Swap ("LNYS").  The time for it  will be coming due shortly and I will post here the location and time.  Whisper  If any one of you is interested, just please respond here with your interest or questions.  In the meantime, we can be thinking about and choosing the yarns we want to take there for yarn swapping.  Looking forward to it.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 15, 2011 5:49 PM

Re:  the Good Will Store

I talked to a friend who works at local GW shop and they really have some good buys on yarns when they come in.  Additionally, I thought I would pass this on:  they give customers an additional discount for seniors every day of the week.   

Not Ranked
Posts 5
icham wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 2:39 PM

can you please tell me where this is located.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
trysche wrote
on Nov 13, 2012 7:31 AM

What a great idea! I recently got rid of alot of yarn, ie ALOT, 2 huge trashbags of yarn to retirement center, 10 small plastic bags to people from Freecycle, and a box to good will. Everyone was excited to get the yarn! And I was happy to get rid of the acrylic yarn to get some new wool in!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 15, 2012 2:20 PM

hi icham,

There are MANY Goodwill Store locations throughout most areas.  Do a search for the location nearest you.  They have convenient Drop Off locations as well.   I hope you find one nearby. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 15, 2012 2:21 PM

hitrysche,

So glad you did that.  Surely someone will use the yarn you donated. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS