Yarn weight code?

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
TheodoraZ wrote
on Sep 21, 2009 11:51 AM

I noticed that Interweave will use a yarn weight in their directions, such as "Yarn weight: #3 - Light"

Can someone enlighten me about this? The directions for a pattern that I like call for a discontinued yarn, so it will have to be substituted.

Also, is there a source chart to quickly determine what yarns can be substituted? It would be great to have ALL yarns (obsolete as well as  current) charted and cross referenced according to weight.  I can dream, can't I?

Thanks for your help. 

TheodoraZ

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 21, 2009 12:02 PM

TheodoraZ,

Try this:  http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

Let me know if that is what you wanted.

~Kelleigh~

KELLEIGH~~

Not Ranked
Posts 8
kittkatt wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 3:43 PM

I find alot of the yarns say #4 weight and another yarn says 4 and they are thinner.....what goes on with these weight numbers??

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 4:36 PM

Hi kittkatt,

I have noticed that a lot of "off-shore" yarns made in other countries are thinner than the ones made in North America.  I like to stick to Bernat yarns simply because of this aspect to yarn weights (which are the thickness or thinness of a yarn).  I can switch around in the Bernat yarn to get different weights but this is also where gauge and swatching really comes into effect when doing a project.

The yarn standards council of North America is the standard for yarns made in North America.

Hope this helps you out.  Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS