knitting with crochet thead

This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
CherylJ@2 wrote
on Nov 12, 2009 9:53 PM

I was wondering if any one has ever knitted with crochet thread. and if they ever doubled it up ? To make it thicker. . I read tonight where you could double it up almost like finger crocheting.It was called Making Navaho knitting Yarn.

I recieved all of my Mothers thread when she passed and I would really like to use it. Also I was wondering if it was possible, to use it to make socks. Would that streach stuff you use in making streatchy  jewelry work with it. Or would there be somthing else that would be more eccanomical.( spelled wrong sorry)?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
AnaP@8 wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 5:29 AM

Hi ,

I have been kntting with crochet thread for a long time . I love how it feels. I knit with size 10, 3, and 5 . I don't double it  I just go to a thicker thread. Here is a shawl I am making with size#10 DMC thread and Knitpicks size#2 circular needles.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
CherylJ@2 wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 5:04 PM

Thankyou. I was beginning to think that I would never get a answere. Then if a patern called for larger needles I could go smaller needles and adapt to the difference in lenght and go from there? I imagine i would have to almost write the whole patern according ly to the number of stiches per inch the patern called for right.?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
AnaP@8 wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 6:06 PM

That's right, I usally look for shawls and when I knit them with thread they are great looking scarvesYes That blue shawl in the pictuer just keep knitting  it until I get the length I want. .

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Anita@2 Yes [Y] wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 3:01 PM

I think this is very cool. I had been wondering about knitting with thread on small needles--after all, I've seen tops (blouses) crocheted with thread--why not knit with it?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
HelenS wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 3:10 PM

I knit with crochet thread, too.  I have used it both singe and doubled; I knit a lace sweater with doubled size 10 crochet cotton several years ago, and I'm currenty making a lace shawl with it single.  I use small needles, including for the lace shawl, but I prefer thin yarn too so this suits me just fine!  I've knit lace gloves with crochet cotton, too. And of course you can knit doilies, tablecloths, etc. with crochet cotton too!  I prefer to crochet doilies, so I haven't done too many doilies and stuff.

As for socks, you would definitely need to use something to give it some stretch, and they would probably wear out pretty quickly. 

Helen

Not Ranked
Posts 3
SabineA wrote
on Mar 25, 2010 2:51 AM

Hi,

I knitted socks in a 100% cotton some (at least 15)  years ago. I used an elastic thread to knit along for the part at the legs and I do not like to wear those socks for several reasons:

1. Cotton is not elastic at all. So you will need to use stitches that make your knitting elastic or you will end up with either too tight or too wide stiff tubes.

2. The elastic thread I used does not wash well and does not help to make things wider. It claimed to be invisible but you can see it very well and I do not like the way it looks. But perhaps today these threads may be better.

3. Pure Cotton when washed and dried just may approach the consistency of a board. I knit quite tight, I always have to use the thicker needles proposed by the yarn manufacturer but in this case I might have had to try still thicker ones to keep things soft and pliable.

4. Cotton shrinks just a little when it is washed. I should have considered this before starting to knit.

I do not want to discourage you from trying to knit socks with cotton - I prefer wool with just a bit of artificial fibre to make it more durable and washable (I hate the handwash with thermometer method, it takes so much more time than just throwing it into the machine). Wool is in itself more elastic than cotton.

Some time ago I found something in the web about a pair of historical socks ot tights (more than 100 years old) that were knit with a very fine cotton in a lace that made them very elastic, tight fitting but really comfortable to wear. Sorry, but I don't remember where it was. If it wasn't here then perhaps at about. com in the knitting area.

If I "had to" knit with crochet thread, I would try first a shawl and I would choose a lacy design. Thus I would avoid the problems of elasticity and (im)perfect fit I encountered with my socks.

I wish you much joy and success with your mothers' stash. If she was only just a little like my deceased mother she will watch and enjoy from heaven how you will enjoy to put her stash to good use.

Sabine

Not Ranked
Posts 4
PeggieLee wrote
on Apr 24, 2010 12:27 PM

I knit with such fibers as well and love them. I would love to know the pattern Anna P is using for the blue shawl.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
AnaP@8 wrote
on Jun 2, 2010 5:00 AM

Hi ,

Sorry, I had no cumputer for a while .this is the site I got this patten.

http://www.cu-needleworks.com/Patterns/Shawls/list.htm

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KathyinIL wrote
on Apr 13, 2014 8:04 AM

Where do you find knit patterns to use crochet cotton?  I'm searching for a summery vest pattern, but can't find one with fine yarn or thread.  What an interesting topic!

Kathy

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 28
mmseeger wrote
on Apr 13, 2014 7:17 PM

check on www.ravelry.com    it's free.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 28
mmseeger wrote
on Apr 13, 2014 7:18 PM

try looking on www.ravelry.com    it's a free site.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS