THE OFFICIAL FRESCO FAIR ISLE MITTS KAL POST (the puppy post!)

This post has 145 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,510
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 13, 2009 11:48 AM

Hello KALers!

More than 4000 of you voted, and the winning pattern for our next KAL is Fresco Fair Isle Mitts. I'll be using Classic Elite Fresco, in the colors shown in the pattern.

As for the schedule for this KAL, since it's a shorter project than the Central Park Hoodie (I'm almost done with both sleeves!), how about we give ourselves until December 18? Perfect timing for gift-giving, whether to a loved one or to ourselves!

This is the official post for all KAL comments, so please post your comments/questions as a reply to this post or to someone else's post in this thread. I'm calling it the "puppy post," because of the puppy icon!

Questions? Let me know!

Knit on,

Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jaclack wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 11:51 AM

OK,  I've never done Fair Isle before but this looks almost doable.  I'll get the yarn this weekend... somewhere!!Huh?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
anstar wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 12:12 PM

Okay,  wasn't going to do a KAL this holiday season, but these mitts won me over!  I can't wait to start now. :D

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Lesafer wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 12:31 PM

Not like I need another project to work on this season, but they are adorable mitts and I did vote for them. I'll see if I can find some yarn this weekend and cast on.

Lori

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JeanetteU wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 12:33 PM

I'm going to do this because they're beautiful and I love Fair Isle, but haven't the patterns always been free for KAL before?  How come you're charging now?

Jeanette in Illinois

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Manycrafts2 wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 12:56 PM

This is my first knit-a-long.  I'm not sure if I can get these done by Dec. 18th as I'm also working to finishing up a lady bug rug for my grand daughter for Christmas.  I'll try though.  I've always wanted to start a fair-isle project.  I also work full time.  Any suggestions to anyone has about knitting fair isle would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
KarenW@72 wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 1:43 PM

Hello Knitters!

I am very new to knitting and have only completed a handful of projects.  I'm going to give this a try!

I read some of the CPH threads and might give that one a try, too, but I'm sure it will take me a while.

Where do you all buy the Classic Elite Fresco yarn?

Thanks,

Karen W.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,510
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 13, 2009 1:49 PM

Hi there, Jeanette,

The CPH pattern wasn't free, but the Monkey Socks pattern was—so it just depends on what's chosen.

There was a free pattern option for this KAL, but it came in second. I'll always offer one or two free options, but the pattern with the most votes wins!

I hope you'll join us anyway.

Kathleen

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
BarbaraB wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 2:03 PM

So sorry, I won't be participating this KAL.  Where I live in Australia, we have absolutely no need for mittens of any kind as we don't even get frost and I don't have either family or friends that need them either.   I shall be 'tuning in' in December to see what the next KAL will be.

All the best to everyone and good luck with the fair isle.

Barbara

from the Land Down Under.

Barbara B.

from the Land Down Under

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Yakira wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 2:04 PM

Not only my first Fair Isle project but my first KAL.  Just downloaded the pattern and am raiding the stash for yarns that match.  I think I'm going to run with color here.  The blues in the original pattern are nice but sedate.  And I'm anything but sedate!  Hopefully I can cast on this weekend.

Yakira

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 120
Peggan wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 2:31 PM

I like these and they were my second choice so I'm going to give them a try.  I have never done gloves or mittens before.  Even here in S California where you would not thing we ever needed mittens, I think these are excellent because they are kind of half mittens and I even took to wearing a pair of those when our office was so cold in the mornings and no one else seemed cold.  I could still work on my computer with them!

I imagine knitting these will be kind of like knitting socks without a heel and with a thumb.  So I am guessing the magic loop method or two-short-circular needles method will work.  I guess I SHOULD look at the pattern directions!

I have done some multicolor knitting but could never get the tension right in the end.  I am assuming that the fairly small detail in this will help with that.  I never did get the two-handed method either so I want to give that a try.

Now for choosing the yarns!

See you all soon.

Peggy, S Calif

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Nov 13, 2009 2:41 PM

I have never done fair isle either and have only done one unsuccessful pair of mittens - and first KAL.  I appreciate ypur patience in advance, as I know I can be a pest with questions!  My husband will be thrilled that I am using anything from my stash!

Jennifer

From Texas

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 13, 2009 2:44 PM

This will be the first time that I've participated in a KAL project.  However, I've always wanted to do Fair Isle and this project looked quite doable.  I'm going to go through my yarn stash this weekend and will be casting on!  I hope to get these done by the Dec. 18th project date but I'm also working on sweaters for my grandsons for Christmas.  The sweaters are my top priority and I'll fit the mitts in as often as I can.   Thanks for the inspiration.

Barb

Not Ranked
Posts 6
ShellyO wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 2:47 PM

If you have any of the old Interweave Knits magazines, it's in the Fall 2008 issue.  I went out & bought that issue specifically for this pattern and have been afraid to try it, so I'm glad it won the KAL because now I'll have to be "a fearless knitter" as Sandy used to say and try it.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
Ladymark wrote
on Nov 13, 2009 2:57 PM

Hi all you knitters!

I won't be able to join this KAL either, like Barbara B., but not because Michigan doesn't require mittens! Just before the CPH, I completed some fair-isle mitts, and I'm small-needled out (did a bunch of socks, etc.). It was great working on the CPH. My current gift knits are keeping me too busy to join; but I'd like to encourage everyone to jump in and try.

Also, for continental-style knitters, give this a try (I found it infinitely easier than 2-handed throwing, which never gave me good tension): lay both yarns over your left index finger,as usual, but separate them with your middle finger. Then, when knitting, merely "pick" which of the 2 yarns you need for that stitch. As long as there were no more than 5 stitches between colors, it was easy to carry the unused yarn along. Still have to watch out for too-loose or too-tight tension, but it grows on you.

Happy knitting!

Page 1 of 10 (146 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS