Knitting Fearlessly...or even with fear

This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Dec 10, 2009 3:48 PM

I finally finished my dad's sweater! I spun the yarn from a Lincoln/Targhee ewe fleece and knit the piece up. I finally learned to do needleless cables, otherwise I'd have no hair left. I did steeks as well. The whole adventure scared the living daylights out of me, but I did it. I'll need to adjust the neck a bit, but that's easy.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Pepeyla wrote
on Dec 10, 2009 9:29 PM

Beautifully done.  I'm envious and can't wait to do some serious knitting over the holidays.

Pepeyla

Not Ranked
Posts 4
tiensdirect wrote
on Dec 17, 2009 3:24 AM

Hey that is really nice, you got it right. I hope your dad loves it. great job

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sarahandus wrote
on Dec 20, 2009 7:24 AM

That is absolutely beautiful!  Great job. 

you inspire me to have a go at an aran sweaters again. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
1985Cutlass wrote
on Dec 20, 2009 9:37 AM

Wow!  You have more guts to tackle something like your dad's sweater.  I still have a phobia about making a sweater fresh from my brain.  I think what you've done is magnificent!!!!!  Keep up the nice work!  Makes me have an encentive to give it a try!

Lisa (aka my1985cutlass)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Dec 20, 2009 2:52 PM

I used Excel and colorfully chart every cable pattern on a separate pages. As I finished a specific cable pattern, I checked off a box on that Excel page. I made fewer mistakes, those I made I could usually fix (I dare anyone to find the ones I didn't).

I used the following websites for learning needless cables:

RIGHT-TWIST CABLE:  http://www.grumperina.com/rightcable.htm

LEFT-TWIST CABLE:  http://www.grumperina.com/leftcable.htm

They are easier to follow than some and have fewer stitches hanging out in mid-air. I do teach my beginning knitters how to do this. Some are able and do it, some are not willing yet. But they all can see it done.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
LoriM@25 wrote
on Apr 20, 2010 8:30 AM

Beautiful sweater!  Your dad should be very happy wearing it!

I thought you might like to see a video of knitting without cables.

There are actually many videos on this site and I would recommend a look-through just to see if there's anything else of interest.  

The cable knitting video is under the "Decorative Stitches" section. 

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

Not Ranked
Posts 9
LoriM@25 wrote
on Apr 20, 2010 8:32 AM

LOL.

I meant to say "knitting cables without needles" rather than "knitting without cables". 

I guess I should have actually read what I wrote before I posted.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
cathymoore wrote
on Apr 20, 2010 11:01 AM

Could you explain more about using Excel to keep track of what you're doing? Thanks.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Apr 20, 2010 3:22 PM
  1. I put separate pattern blocks on separate pages on Excell. It was just easier to flip a page for the next pattern block than to read across a long sheet.
  2. I then made the pattern block stitch cells the same size by adjusting the font if needed. Cable blocks I merged.
  3. I put dots in for the purl stitches and left them blank for the knit stitches. There are knitting symbols available, but ...
  4. For the directional cables, I color coded them. I'm a visual person that way. I had to then go back and trace the sets of stitches to make sure I had them right.
  5. I did this for each of the pattern blocks. 
  6. You can see the green stripe on the right where I kept track of every row and then checked them off. 
  7. As I completed pattern repeats, I marked the squares on all the sheets differently.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
cathymoore wrote
on Apr 20, 2010 5:14 PM

Thanks so much for your quick reply! It's very kind of you to share your expertise with me and many others. I can't wait to try this. You rock!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 9, 2010 10:20 PM

Dear Denise,

Your dad's sweater looks very nice.  He looks pleased as punch.  I can see in his picture he is very proud of you.  I wonder if you remember how much time it took from start to finish.  Not that it's a contest, just wondering if you worked on it straight through or do you work on more than one project at a time?  Thanks in advance if you get a chance to answer this. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jul 19, 2010 6:32 PM

ZassZ,

After I got the roving back from the mill (sent in May, back in June) I spun it up all summer and into the fall. Mind you, I had to keep my interest going and at times switch to different projects.

Knitting was a different story. I sucked up the courage to do the cables and charted while I spun and was mentally ready by the time the yarn was spun.

Overall, it took about 1-1/2 years. I had to take a couple of months off for an injured finger. I'm a picker and hurt my index finger - right where the yarn passes. With Band-aids (or sticking plasters) I was back on track.

I've had to adjust the neckline with some elastic thread. No big whoop; EZ suggested it in one of her videos. It works.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 20, 2010 5:50 PM

Hi Denise,

Determination.  Nice to see your picture of the final project.  Well, that was an idea well planned.  I agree that when reading the pattern and charting it really does help to visualize & get a mental picture of it.  One of the hats I did for my daughter called for a little elastic on the brim as well to make the required fit.  It's a very handy item.  Glad you finder is healed and let us know what your next project is? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jul 21, 2010 1:35 PM

My present projects aren't as ambitious. I'm done spinning a Columbia fleece for a throw blanket I'll be weaving.

I'm also taking it easy and knitting an mobius scarf. I've tried the cast on many times, but finally got it by watching this video:

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS